Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:16 PM

84 posts, read 112,886 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving out there, but have a strong suspicion it will be impossible to move back after. Life is too good out there. The weather is incredible, nightlife is better and more robust (rooftop pools, lounges, better bars, house parties galore, house pool parties), beaches are 5x as nice, and can be used year round, surfing, beach sports, entrepreneurial culture, world-class beautiful women, anything can happen attitudes, open people, wayyy better quality of housing, more pretty neighborhoods, entertainment business/excitement, slightly more diverse economy, wayyy cooler people, no "this is the way life is to be lived" mentality.

It's hard to imagine getting all that, then losing it to come back to be around family in Boston. It seems like it might be easier to just stay around, even though Boston is not big and open and cool and exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
You are another one who should do a search, and read the thread, "reality check for Los Angeles".
It just might open your eyes.

It is definitely not all glitz, and glamour, or "wayy" as you put it.

Bob.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,544,468 times
I've known a lot of Bostonians who came out West and never looked back, yes! Some go to Phoenix first, thinking it'll be like LA. Then they push further west -- usually out of a sense of unfulfilled curiosity -- to LA and realize we're much friendlier and "the real thing", not a sad, wannabe imitation.

Last time I met a Bostonian was at the Promenade in Santa Monica about 8 months ago. He'd been here 5 years and absolutely loved LA. He was Irish, Italian and Puerto Rican. Very nice gentleman!

Another place Bostonians love is San Diego. Have you looked into it as well?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:51 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Your aware you'll be living under Communism?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Your perception of LA is the stereotypical one of someone who just sees LA on TV and doesn't realize the reality of living in LA. Yes, LA doesn't get the winter weather of Boston, but that's personal preference. Nightlife is better, but it's not like either is great. Boston is known for subpar nightlife and LA still has a 2am last call, the nightlife centers are spread out with a lack of public transit, and other problems too in depth to explain. Rooftop pool parties are fun, though, yes. House parties and pool parties aren't a thing unless you're rich and famous or know someone with a house up in the hills. I went to house parties when I was a teenager. Nobody over their mid 20s is going to a raging house pool party that I know every weekend. Beaches are quasi-usable year round since they're still cold in winter. But again, you're comparing Boston way up north with LA. You skipped a whole lotta steps. "Wayyy" better quality of housing? Do you know the housing stock in LA? Lol it's pretty crappy unless you're rich. LA neighborhoods are generally pretty ugly unless you're rich. Entertainment industry looks glamorous, but it's challenging and selective. "Wayyy" cooler people is subjective. I mean Boston isn't some backwards farming town in Idaho. Be ready to hear about everyone's new juice cleanse and life changing 'chella experience in LA.

There are reasons to love LA. I just don't think yours are the reality of someone who could last long term in LA. Clearly plenty of Bostonians have stayed long term. Red Sox away games pack Dodger Stadium. You wouldn't be the only one that stayed and never moved back, but you need a slight reality check if you think moving to LA means you'll live in a perfectly manicured Spanish style suburban home with a BMW and partying in the hills every weekend with your entertainment job immediately upon moving to LA.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Your perception of LA is the stereotypical one of someone who just sees LA on TV and doesn't realize the reality of living in LA. Yes, LA doesn't get the winter weather of Boston, but that's personal preference. Nightlife is better, but it's not like either is great. Boston is known for subpar nightlife and LA still has a 2am last call, the nightlife centers are spread out with a lack of public transit, and other problems too in depth to explain. Rooftop pool parties are fun, though, yes. House parties and pool parties aren't a thing unless you're rich and famous or know someone with a house up in the hills. I went to house parties when I was a teenager. Nobody over their mid 20s is going to a raging house pool party that I know every weekend. Beaches are quasi-usable year round since they're still cold in winter. But again, you're comparing Boston way up north with LA. You skipped a whole lotta steps. "Wayyy" better quality of housing? Do you know the housing stock in LA? Lol it's pretty crappy unless you're rich. LA neighborhoods are generally pretty ugly unless you're rich. Entertainment industry looks glamorous, but it's challenging and selective. "Wayyy" cooler people is subjective. I mean Boston isn't some backwards farming town in Idaho. Be ready to hear about everyone's new juice cleanse and life changing 'chella experience in LA.

There are reasons to love LA. I just don't think yours are the reality of someone who could last long term in LA. Clearly plenty of Bostonians have stayed long term. Red Sox away games pack Dodger Stadium. You wouldn't be the only one that stayed and never moved back, but you need a slight reality check if you think moving to LA means you'll live in a perfectly manicured Spanish style suburban home with a BMW and partying in the hills every weekend with your entertainment job immediately upon moving to LA.

No, Im aware of these things, I lived 40 minutes east of LA for a year. I just spent a month there. Im well aware theres loads of loonies, fools, and generally unintelligent snowflakes. It’s felt nearly impossible to have a disagreement in LA, because of how fragile and immature so many people are. But I feel like in a city of 11 million (LA County) you 100% will find your group in LA. If you want mature, funky, cool people, they exist a plenty.

Yes nightlife isn’t world class, but it’s definitely better and most importantly the people at the establishments are so much more spontaneous and fun in general. Lets just say my last week in LA, success going out could not have happened in Boston.

The housing stock is crazy expensive, but mostly they are nice homes. Look on zillow at places in or around Boston... horrenous interiors from the 50s. Small windows, ugliest countertops and floors, just depressing interior spaces, for $1m. There’s nothing I’ve seen in LA as depressing as what you get in Boston. I think the neighborhoods mostly aren’t ugly, but mostly not impressive. The middle of torrance or hawthorne aren’t wowing anyone, but they’re plenty nice. That’s not hideous.

No, I’d plan on living in a ****hole in Santa Monica to enjoy the beach, all the restaurants and shops and beautiful women walking around, the spontaneous conversations I can strike up, and the general oleasant ess and vibes

Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I've known a lot of Bostonians who came out West and never looked back, yes! Some go to Phoenix first, thinking it'll be like LA. Then they push further west -- usually out of a sense of unfulfilled curiosity -- to LA and realize we're much friendlier and "the real thing", not a sad, wannabe imitation.

Last time I met a Bostonian was at the Promenade in Santa Monica about 8 months ago. He'd been here 5 years and absolutely loved LA. He was Irish, Italian and Puerto Rican. Very nice gentleman!

Another place Bostonians love is San Diego. Have you looked into it as well?
The promenade is great. We don’t have cool **** like that in Boston. LA has loads of it. (Yeah, newbury st isnt bad, but still lots of cars).

I lived in scottadale, very nice, amazing quality of life, but not enough city environment and obviously nowhere near the level of LA in terms of stuff going on, access to ocean, variety of people... but it is way way cheaper and a great qol and thats why theres a huge net migration of people from LA to Phoenix

Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Rather than use your entire post, I'm just quoting the last sentence.

"No, I’d plan on living in a ****hole in Santa Monica to enjoy the beach, all the restaurants and shops and beautiful women walking around, the spontaneous conversations I can strike up, and the general oleasant ess and vibes"

Obviously you aren't going to find this out, until you live here, but the west side is extremely "plastic", and I am not referring to material.

The people are so phony, and crazed with material things.
They all have this "image" is what it is all about thing.
You want to experience the real Los Angeles, you need to get away from that stereotypical west side wannabe syndrome.
Spend some time in the sfv, of sgv , or for that matter, any other place in the city, except the west side, to get the reality of this city.

Once again, I would strongly suggest you read the thread "Reality check for Los Angeles", especially the information regarding the beaches.
Now THERE is a reality check if there ever was one.

Oh, and one more thing I should add.
It appears by your post, you have spent a lot of time looking at re-runs of "Bay watch".
Trust me, Los Angeles is nothing like that.

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 04-12-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecostanza1472 View Post
No, Im aware of these things, I lived 40 minutes east of LA for a year. I just spent a month there. Im well aware theres loads of loonies, fools, and generally unintelligent snowflakes. It’s felt nearly impossible to have a disagreement in LA, because of how fragile and immature so many people are. But I feel like in a city of 11 million (LA County) you 100% will find your group in LA. If you want mature, funky, cool people, they exist a plenty.

Yes nightlife isn’t world class, but it’s definitely better and most importantly the people at the establishments are so much more spontaneous and fun in general. Lets just say my last week in LA, success going out could not have happened in Boston.

The housing stock is crazy expensive, but mostly they are nice homes. Look on zillow at places in or around Boston... horrenous interiors from the 50s. Small windows, ugliest countertops and floors, just depressing interior spaces, for $1m. There’s nothing I’ve seen in LA as depressing as what you get in Boston. I think the neighborhoods mostly aren’t ugly, but mostly not impressive. The middle of torrance or hawthorne aren’t wowing anyone, but they’re plenty nice. That’s not hideous.

No, I’d plan on living in a ****hole in Santa Monica to enjoy the beach, all the restaurants and shops and beautiful women walking around, the spontaneous conversations I can strike up, and the general oleasant ess and vibes
Ok as long as you realize that LA isn't a utopia like Hollywood and so many people speak of, you'll be fine probably.

One thing about Angelenos in terms of nightlife is that I've found people generally less approachable in LA. I think it's the aspect of the personal space difference in LA v. the Northeast. In Boston/NYC/Philly/DC etc. we live more on top of each other, we have personal contact/interaction on public transit, bars are smaller so we don't mind sharing tables and striking up conversations with strangers, etc. I found it less likely for someone to be okay with making a random buddy for the night in LA. In NYC, I make friends out of random comments said to each other regularly while out for a night. It was less common in LA, I think, because of the general unwillingness to be as interactive with other people. Angelenos like their private homes and private cars and wide open spaces and not seeing people everywhere you look like in NYC/Boston. That's just my experience though.

A $1m home in Santa Monica isn't going to be much different from one in the equivalent areas of Boston either like Back Bay. If we're talking cheaper, yeah Boston is probably worse off just because the age of the buildings. But at that price range, all things equal, it's about the same IMO. I absolutely hate the housing stock of places like Torrance and Hawthorne. I mean...this dump is $900k...in Hawthorne. Obviously it's to each their own, but don't expect that coming into LA, your $1m will buy you some luxury home.

I'm not saying LA is a terrible place to live. It's not. You seem to at least know somewhat about what you're talking about (nobody ever name drops Hawthorne or Torrance if they know nothing about LA housing). But the idea of moving to LA and working in entertainment and making new friends at every bar you go to and buying a luxury home for $1m is not reality. If you're moving just because you love LA culture, you understand the stress of the daily commutes in LA, you don't plan on being on the beach literally every day, and you know the entertainment industry is extremely cut throat, you'll be okay. It's just so funny to me being from LA living in the Northeast now and hearing people's extremely wrong perceptions of what life is like in LA.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Rather than use your entire post, I'm just quoting the last sentence.

"No, I’d plan on living in a ****hole in Santa Monica to enjoy the beach, all the restaurants and shops and beautiful women walking around, the spontaneous conversations I can strike up, and the general oleasant ess and vibes"

Obviously you aren't going to find this out, until you live here, but the west side is extremely "plastic", and I am not referring to material.

The people are so phony, and crazed with material things.
They all have this "image" is what it is all about thing.
You want to experience the real Los Angeles, you need to get away from that stereotypical west side wannabe syndrome.
Spend some time in the sfv, of sgv , or for that matter, any other place in the city, except the west side, to get the reality of this city.

Once again, I would strongly suggest you read the thread "Reality check for Los Angeles", especially the information regarding the beaches.
Now THERE is a reality check if there ever was one.

Bob.
In growing up in LA, I think the only places left with the real LA culture are pockets of the South Bay, parts of the SFV, and parts of the SGV. The rest is plasticky transplants who purposely try to mold themselves into the stereotype of LA they read and hear about. There are good people out there for sure. But they're harder and harder to come by as more and more transplants dominate the "cool" areas. The people I grew up with are nothing like the people moving there. A lot of the people who are far from the stereotype like myself have left and that vacuum we've left behind is just filled with more plasticky transplants.

Also that ****hole apartment in Santa Monica is going to cost way more than anyone thinks it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles