U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,820,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Something tells me your "clients" are fictitious.
'bout as fictitious as the Phoenix "tech scene"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 AM

6 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
There are very few section 8 places that aren't in bad areas. The reason isn't just concerns about tenants damaging property, although that is a concern of landlords.

The bigger issues I see cited are the hassle of dealing with the LA housing authority that comes with renting to section 8, primarily inspections requiring lots of minor repairs and holding up the ability of the tenant to move in and the landlord to get paid.

In any area that is somewhat desirable (i.e. safe with decent schools), vacancy rates are exceedingly low and there are plenty of renters with good incomes and credit scores, so there is no need for landlords to deal with a slow/costly bureaucracy.

LA Times did a story last month about how the vast majority of Section 8 rentals are concentrated in poor neighborhoods like South LA.

[URL]https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-section-8-landlords-20190329-story.html[/URL]

Those are the only places where demand is low enough for landlords to be willing to deal with the hassles of section 8. There is a move to force landlords to accept Section 8, but I have a feeling if the happens, there will be a lot of unintended consequences (conversion of a lot of apt buildings to condos, etc).
Thank you so much for your insight. My family has had the immense privilege of not having to rely on social assistance, so learning about federal housing programs and their corresponding public policy issues are fairly new to us.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 AM

6 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
OP: I wouldn't move to Phoenix. Theres a large tech scene there among other professions, and not much of a social safety net. Gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps. A welfare state like CA is more fitting to this scenario.
Thank you for your response.

I just want to remind you that Section 8 is a federal program funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and has little to do with State government. Moreover, in terms of your bootstraps suggestion, my sister is a Master of Kinesiology, hardly someone who exhibits incompetence or laziness. The truth is that no one can predict circumstances that materialize in one's life time. There are people with PhD's who are homeless because they developed psychological disorders.

On a last note, I do question this idea of meritocracy given the many economic and social inequalities that favor some and disadvantage others. If anything, the idea of a "bootstrap" has always been a mechanism to launch ideological and class warfare that divides middle and working class citizens while the wealthy benefits from a mythology that has no basis in fact (there is literally no empirical evidence to support such an argument).

Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 AM

6 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I knew a co-worker that was section 8 and the apartment was in SFV Sherman oaks near Ventura and Kester. Of course with how high rents are, may not be available in that area.
Well, that sounds too good to be true! When I said safe neighborhood, I did not have somewhere upscale in mind, just somewhere descent. And that would work out for her because she would be close to me (I reside in Valley Village). If you remember the building, I would love to contact them.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,526,726 times
OP, what's your sisters disability while we're on it? It takes a while to get a voucher.

Last edited by jacktravern; 04-17-2019 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 AM

341 posts, read 117,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert0915 View Post
Thank you for your response.

I just want to remind you that Section 8 is a federal program funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and has little to do with State government. Moreover, in terms of your bootstraps suggestion, my sister is a Master of Kinesiology, hardly someone who exhibits incompetence or laziness. The truth is that no one can predict circumstances that materialize in one's life time. There are people with PhD's who are homeless because they developed psychological disorders.

On a last note, I do question this idea of meritocracy given the many economic and social inequalities that favor some and disadvantage others. If anything, the idea of a "bootstrap" has always been a mechanism to launch ideological and class warfare that divides middle and working class citizens while the wealthy benefits from a mythology that has no basis in fact (there is literally no empirical evidence to support such an argument).
Kinesiology is not a great degree. Being an electrician, for example, is great. Anyway, perhaps she should apply to the medical depts of -

Dodgers
Angels
Lakers
Clippers
Trojans
Bruins?

These are the avenues for her.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
Kinesiology is not a great degree. Being an electrician, for example, is great. Anyway, perhaps she should apply to the medical depts of -

Dodgers
Angels
Lakers
Clippers
Trojans
Bruins?

These are the avenues for her.
Per my last message, I sought to negate your bootstraps argument by emphasizing my sisterís graduate education. I never sought to argue about the economic and social viability of it (which is besides the point).

I hate for my question to turn into an argument about the legitimacy of my sisterís graduate education or her merit. I simply seek help and advice from all of the amazing individuals in this forum to help assist her during an unfortunate time.

So far, I appreciate everyoneís input, so I am grateful.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
OP, what's your sisters disability while we're on it? It takes a while to get a voucher.
Hi Jack,

My sister suffers from chronic fatty liver disease and has been on disability for about a year. She already has a voucher in hand, thankfully.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

422 posts, read 79,773 times
I have no issues renting to S8’s in fact I’ve got a couple of buildings that are clean and in reasonably ok areas that are practically all rented to S8 tenants with few problems . But that’s in my areas of operation. I’d imagine in LA or maybe anywhere in Southern California it would be impossible to carry a building that was renting to S8 without compromising on the area. Values in Korea town area where I last had a building in LA were close to $500k a door when I sold it and that was a long time ago. It might be possible out East perhaps but I don’t know the market.

Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

15,111 posts, read 14,550,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert0915 View Post
I do question this idea of meritocracy given the many economic and social inequalities that favor some and disadvantage others...
Current efforts to outlaw discrimination against Section 8 applicants and tenants:

Although the proposed law does not directly address the problem of soaring rents, it does prohibit landlords from refusing to consider Section 8 tenants and outlaws common advertisements that state vouchers arenít accepted. A recent Urban Institute study found that 76% of Los Angeles County landlords with units affordable to Section 8 tenants refused to accept vouchers.

Landlords could not ban Section 8 tenants under proposed L.A. ordinance
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...416-story.html

L.A. City Council moves to outlaw discrimination against Section 8 tenants:
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...417-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or