Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,449 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

My sister received a section 8 voucher a couple months ago and has had an arduous time discovering properties in descent areas. Finding an area that’s safe is salient to her because she has two children. Moreover she wishes to send them to descent schools, if possible.

My sister holds a Masters degree; however, a disability has caused her to fall on hard times, so she has been out of work for a bit. Her disability will not be forever, hopefully. But in the meantime, she really needs assistance.

My sister and her children are quiet, loving and amazing people. I know there are stereotypes that characterize many voucher holders, but my sister and her children do not embody such deleterious qualities.

If anyone in this forum knows of a property in a safe and descent neighborhood that accepts vouchers, please do let me know. I would appreciate it a great deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
https://www.hacola.org/section-8/for...n-8-applicants

Click on the section "Search for Available Properties" under the city she would like to live in.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,969,787 times
There are very few section 8 places that aren't in bad areas. The reason isn't just concerns about tenants damaging property, although that is a concern of landlords.

The bigger issues I see cited are the hassle of dealing with the LA housing authority that comes with renting to section 8, primarily inspections requiring lots of minor repairs and holding up the ability of the tenant to move in and the landlord to get paid.

In any area that is somewhat desirable (i.e. safe with decent schools), vacancy rates are exceedingly low and there are plenty of renters with good incomes and credit scores, so there is no need for landlords to deal with a slow/costly bureaucracy.

LA Times did a story last month about how the vast majority of Section 8 rentals are concentrated in poor neighborhoods like South LA.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...329-story.html

Those are the only places where demand is low enough for landlords to be willing to deal with the hassles of section 8. There is a move to force landlords to accept Section 8, but I have a feeling if the happens, there will be a lot of unintended consequences (conversion of a lot of apt buildings to condos, etc).

Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Las Vegas, Nevada

or

Phoenix, Arizona

Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,969,787 times
Last night I post there is a move to force landlords to accept section 8, and this article in the Times this AM:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...416-story.html

Again, I don't see this having as much effect as the city hopes. Landlords will screen for proxies that get rid of Section 8 applicants, at least in desirable areas. Things like job history, criminal record, and credit score would probably get rid of 99.9% of section 8 applicants.

Again, most landlords in decent areas are screening out section 8 because the bureaucracy is expensive for the landlord and because the risk is high for the landlord compared to high and moderate income renters, because poor renters are judgement-proof for damages due to lack of assets.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,138,890 times
In essence no , landlords in good area have no desire or reason to accept section 8. City does not pay market rate. Basically because your sister is on government assistance, she will have to live in the area where landlords are willing to accept those that are on government assistance which means lower income area.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 PM

427 posts, read 367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Las Vegas, Nevada

or

Phoenix, Arizona

OP: I wouldn't move to Phoenix. Theres a large tech scene there among other professions, and not much of a social safety net. Gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps. A welfare state like CA is more fitting to this scenario.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
OP: I wouldn't move to Phoenix. Theres a large tech scene there among other professions, and not much of a social safety net. Gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps. A welfare state like CA is more fitting to this scenario.
Yeah, but it's CHEAP...and there are plenty of rentals! Or so says one of my clients (on Section 8) who is moving there when he finishes his GED.

Large tech scene? That's cute.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
I knew a co-worker that was section 8 and the apartment was in SFV Sherman oaks near Ventura and Kester. Of course with how high rents are, may not be available in that area.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 PM

427 posts, read 367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Yeah, but it's CHEAP...and there are plenty of rentals! Or so says one of my clients (on Section 8) who is moving there when he finishes his GED.

Large tech scene? That's cute.
Something tells me your "clients" are fictitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: