U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM

15,565 posts, read 26,401,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Los Angeles can easily be a city of broken dreams. From fierce competition, lower than average wages, stressful housing and traffic situations, and a general tendency for people to use each other and be flakey, this can add up to not such good news. Anyone seen the price of gas lately? Anybody's rent gone up to the point of adverse debilitation? Anybody get home from work, and have to wait 30 minutes for street parking to open up? Anybody have a situation like Cerritos, where you have to register for one night of overnight parking on any city street? Feel free to share your experiences.
Los Angeles can easily be a city of dreams fulfilled. One of the reasons people still come to Los Angeles is because you can make it. Are dreams broken? Sure, that happens everywhere. Do dreams come true? Dreams attached to a plan of action to make them come true usually do come true.

Fierce competition is awesome for a society. Everyone has to compete if they want to succeed. Failure to compete is the same as not showing up for a race. My son runs for his high school. Sometimes he does well, sometimes he doesn't do as well. If he decided to stop competing he would never win.

Wages in Los Angeles are amazing. I can list more $150,000 jobs based in Los Angeles than in the majority of places in the Nation. Plenty of $200,000 and up jobs as well. Did you know that it takes over $250,000 in income to be on the low end of the top 5% in Los Angeles with the average at over $460,000. I think only Silicon Valley has a higher top pay. What that translates into is that plenty of people like me are making over $100,000 a year. I am no where near the top 5% but I am doing alright. The high end increases the other income brackets up, including low wage jobs.

Many of us own homes. I used to show my kids the homes in Malibu and told them that someone purchased those homes. The majority are owners that bought the home. This can be said throughout most single family neighborhoods. Are home prices out of line with current incomes? Yes they are. Everyone agrees with that. This is a statewide issue and not something that is significant to Los Angeles.

As far as flaky people, all I can say is to choose your friends wisely. Flaky people exist everywhere.

Gasoline is also a State issue. Los Angeles does not control the price of gas.

Rental issues are a market driven problem. You can research this back to the State as it is difficult to get anything built here in California. Not a Los Angeles Issue, a State Issue.

I don't pretend to know the intricacies of parking in a given area or city. Around where I live apartment complexes offer at least one parking space per a rental. Maybe find a place that offers a spot to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM

356 posts, read 122,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Los Angeles can easily be a city of dreams fulfilled. One of the reasons people still come to Los Angeles is because you can make it. Are dreams broken? Sure, that happens everywhere. Do dreams come true? Dreams attached to a plan of action to make them come true usually do come true.

Fierce competition is awesome for a society. Everyone has to compete if they want to succeed. Failure to compete is the same as not showing up for a race. My son runs for his high school. Sometimes he does well, sometimes he doesn't do as well. If he decided to stop competing he would never win.

Wages in Los Angeles are amazing. I can list more $150,000 jobs based in Los Angeles than in the majority of places in the Nation. Plenty of $200,000 and up jobs as well. Did you know that it takes over $250,000 in income to be on the low end of the top 5% in Los Angeles with the average at over $460,000. I think only Silicon Valley has a higher top pay. What that translates into is that plenty of people like me are making over $100,000 a year. I am no where near the top 5% but I am doing alright. The high end increases the other income brackets up, including low wage jobs.

Many of us own homes. I used to show my kids the homes in Malibu and told them that someone purchased those homes. The majority are owners that bought the home. This can be said throughout most single family neighborhoods. Are home prices out of line with current incomes? Yes they are. Everyone agrees with that. This is a statewide issue and not something that is significant to Los Angeles.

As far as flaky people, all I can say is to choose your friends wisely. Flaky people exist everywhere.

Gasoline is also a State issue. Los Angeles does not control the price of gas.

Rental issues are a market driven problem. You can research this back to the State as it is difficult to get anything built here in California. Not a Los Angeles Issue, a State Issue.

I don't pretend to know the intricacies of parking in a given area or city. Around where I live apartment complexes offer at least one parking space per a rental. Maybe find a place that offers a spot to park.
I am a homeowner and I'm still sick of all the crap that has to be put up with here.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM

356 posts, read 122,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlords View Post
So why haven't you moved? Seems to me that a rational person would not live somewhere they hate living.
It's in process

Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM

15,565 posts, read 26,401,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I am a homeowner and I'm still sick of all the crap that has to be put up with here.
Your home doesn't have a driveway?

Old 04-18-2019, 01:52 PM

597 posts, read 496,325 times
If LA had a transit system like NY or Chicago nobody would be complaining as much.
The infrastructure sucks.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,827,237 times
What is this, now???....thread #5 or 6?

Put your big boy pants on and scram!

Well manage without you. Trust me 🙄

Old 04-18-2019, 07:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 9,953,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlords View Post
So why haven't you moved? Seems to me that a rational person would not live somewhere they hate living.
This is accurate. This poster is dying for justification that others share their opinions. If he really hated it so much hed just shut up and move already.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 PM

3,786 posts, read 2,412,736 times
Think how great Los Angeles would be if it wasn't ruled by Communist fools.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Think how great Los Angeles would be if it wasn't ruled by Communist fools.
You should follow Mr. MuscleCar.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 PM

5,336 posts, read 12,856,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
If LA had a transit system like NY or Chicago nobody would be complaining as much.
The infrastructure sucks.
People here would still drive there cars and complain about the traffic and how the transit system here is so scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles