U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM

370 posts, read 135,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlords View Post
Being a burger flipper at McDonalds. Big whoop.
If servicing military hardware is burger flipping, ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 PM

3,810 posts, read 2,434,424 times
Not all are college material, I'm convinced to this day I would have dropped out had I gone. I was a machinist during the heyday of aerospace and military. My house is paid for, I have 3 cars, and my financial advisor does very well.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 PM

12,253 posts, read 7,243,763 times
Quote:
Yawn. I definitely knew it was some sort of blue collar, manual labor job. That was so obvious from the fact you can't afford to live somewhere nice in LA and have a disdain for higher ed. Enjoy being a Grease monkey stuck in some deadend knuckledragger job. Nobody in Phoenix is going to respect you either. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Obviously you have to brag about your high school because you didn't even have the IQ or drive to make it into college. And you're bragging about going to a public high school, not even at least a private one with some semblance of an application or acceptance process.. ROFL. As if the fact where your parent chose to live should be some sort of reflection on your intelligence. Clearly it's not.
While I find MuscleCar’s posts empty of erudition, lacking evidence of ethical and moral fibre, and void of any intellectual depth - your attempt at insult of him based on your conflating “blue-collar”, “manual labor”, “grease monkey” and “knuckledragger”, and a lack of “college” education with being stupid and unsuccessful, makes you seem even less intellectually mature than him.

V8-Vega is right: college isn’t for everyone. A college education can be a useful tool, but it certainly isn’t any guarantee of intelligence or competency at anything. Further, mechanical talents and skills aren’t any indication of a lack of intelligence.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Funny. Where did I ever say I didnt have a college degree? You forget this is the internet, and you know what I want you to know. As far as living in L.A. 1) Been there done that. Did afford it, didn't like it, hate whackjobs. 2) Plenty of losers rent in L.A. 3) My IQ is high enough to understand being exploited, which is what work is. Adjust accordingly.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 PM

Here's a couple tidbits about my IQ.

1) I own the most replied to, non sticky thread on this board. Period.

2) Like a couple of thieves in Home Alone, you're always "thirsty for more".

Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
935 posts, read 877,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I attended that high school 25 years ago so it's quite relevant. You're degree also fails to impress me. For almost 20 years I've worked for 3 of the biggest corporations on the planet, all offering educational reimbursement, and did I do it? No. I don't have time for that. Like my good buddy says, "im too busy getting it out of the mud". If you really want to impress me you can turn a wrench or weld something.

As far as sitting in another city and griping about LA? Absolutely, Im foaming at the mouth for the day that I Get to sit around with a bunch of ex Californians and ***** about this place
It should be "Your degree" and not "You're degree" (the latter means "You are degree"). The following sentence has a dangling modifier (among a couple other issues). I'll just stop there, because correcting your grammar would make this reply longer than needed, and almost every subsequent sentence has an issue. Weren't you boasting about your high school's ranking? Just because you attended a place that ranks well, it doesn't mean you personally did well. There are people who go to great schools, but don't do well. George W. Bush went to Harvard and was a mediocre student. Your Glorious Leader today is pretty guarded about his college transcripts being made public, most likely because he's embarrassed to show them. The company sizes you mentioned are nothing to crow about, either. There are some very large companies with a lot of jobs that don't pay well and don't require much skill or education.

I imagine there are other reasons you opted against college. It's not for everyone, and you don't strike me as college material. I actually think that's a good thing, because so many people go out of obligation, though they don't actually want to be there. And I really could not care less about impressing you. You can use a tool. Wonderful. IKEA and Home Depot do great business catering to DIY customers, because using tools is that easy. Chimpanzees (as well as most primates), crows, octopi, and sea otters use tools too.

I'm confident you will continue to return to this section of this site when you move, as so many others do. You'll certainly need to find a way to justify why you will be living in Arizona, and returning here frequently will distract you from that wonderful life you'll have there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
...Ain't that the truth!
Right? I certainly don't mind sharing some of my experiences about life before moving to California, but I don't return to rooms of places I left if I hated the place. Some of these odd beliefs of his are factually incorrect, paradoxical, and strange, especially considering that just about everything he whines about is just as much of a problem in Phoenix. You can't complain about sprawl here, then move there and think it's not an issue. Homelessness isn't quite at the same level, but as I was leaving Phoenix it was mushrooming. He also can't seem to grasp that costs appear lower in Phoenix, but pay is often much, much lower. I was making below the national average in my field there, but now I make more than the national average. The cost of living isn't so low there that you can take that kind of financial hit. Most people who do relatively well there often transferred and kept their higher rates of pay from more expensive cities. If you have to start over in Phoenix, in most fields, best of luck.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 PM

12,253 posts, read 7,243,763 times
Quote:
Nah. If someone is down in the trenches you fight in the mud. No reason to take the high road with these types.
I’m not talking about mud wrestling. Not even talking about being crude at all. I was pointing out that you conflated formal education with intellectual development ... and manual labor with lack of success in life. Neither of those examples stands up to logical analysis ... and both reek of cheap arrogance.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:12 AM

15,243 posts, read 14,654,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Here's a couple tidbits about my IQ.

1) I own the most replied to, non sticky thread on this board. Period.
Good heavens. This is how you measure success in life? (And as an aside, what does this have to do with IQ?)

Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM

17,214 posts, read 10,300,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Iím not talking about mud wrestling. Not even talking about being crude at all. I was pointing out that you conflated formal education with intellectual development ... and manual labor with lack of success in life. Neither of those examples stands up to logical analysis ... and both reek of cheap arrogance.
True

Old 04-21-2019, 06:34 PM

9,672 posts, read 9,613,101 times
Quote:
Being a burger flipper at McDonalds. Big whoop.
Job shaming isn't particularly nice. And I have more respect for anybody getting up at the sound of the gong and earning a living than the entitlements crowd who game the system like that rat-life guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles