Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,492,515 times

Advertisements

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...417-story.html

This law has been passed; no more discrimination based on Section 8. This infuriates me. I've lived in the same building as Section 8 recipients before, and it was a nightmare. They were loud at all hours of the day and night because no one worked, foot traffic at all hours as well (probably drug dealing), etc. One bad tenant can ruin a good building. I'm not prejudiced against poor people and I'm not racist. I don't like the people who game the system to take advantage, and who don't respect working tenants' rights to a quiet environment.

I'm moving out of the City of L.A. altogether if a bad Section 8 tenant moves into my building. I'm already starting to look at other areas. My commute to work will probably double or triple, but I can't live like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 AM

427 posts, read 363,423 times
Its these kinds of policies that continue to deteriorate the quality of life in this area. It's almost like they want to encourage these types of lifestyles. When I was growing up, it was encouraged to try your best, be your best, learn as much as possible, and shoot for success. Now sloth is ok and its pathetic. People should not be rewarded when they have not earned it!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM

8,244 posts, read 6,300,284 times
Thats what happens with a liberal goverment. Keep on voting for Democrats

Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,537,646 times
According to the Times article "76% of Los Angeles County landlords with units affordable to Section 8 tenants refused to accept vouchers."

That means 76% of those landlord passed up on guaranteed rental payments. From my understanding, Section 8 comes through with guaranteed monthly payments no matter how financially irresponsible the tenant may be for their part of the rent.

So if that many landlords of lower-priced units are passing that up then it tells you how many problems come with renting to section 8 users. Why not instead pass more protections for landlords who accept section 8 vouchers? Why not instead strengthen eviction rights for landlords when residents violate noise or other property regulations and disturb life for other residents?

This unfairly penalizes working-class folks who scrape by with multiple jobs to pay their rent and just want a quiet, safe place to live. Section 8 vouchers aren't moving into the shiny market-rate new places going up unless they are a set-aside affordable unit.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,856,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
According to the Times article "76% of Los Angeles County landlords with units affordable to Section 8 tenants refused to accept vouchers."

That means 76% of those landlord passed up on guaranteed rental payments. From my understanding, Section 8 comes through with guaranteed monthly payments no matter how financially irresponsible the tenant may be for their part of the rent.

So if that many landlords of lower-priced units are passing that up then it tells you how many problems come with renting to section 8 users. Why not instead pass more protections for landlords who accept section 8 vouchers? Why not instead strengthen eviction rights for landlords when residents violate noise or other property regulations and disturb life for other residents?

This unfairly penalizes working-class folks who scrape by with multiple jobs to pay their rent and just want a quiet, safe place to live. Section 8 vouchers aren't moving into the shiny market-rate new places going up unless they are a set-aside affordable unit.
I read the main reason the didn't accept was the time it takes for section 8 to inspect an apartment, and they require it to be a certain standard. Meaning the landlord has to update their apartment to be adequate at the last moment.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I read the main reason the didn't accept was the time it takes for section 8 to inspect an apartment, and they require it to be a certain standard. Meaning the landlord has to update their apartment to be adequate at the last moment.
That is the main reason for most landlords, but there is also a risk that if a poor tenant damages a property, they don't have any assets that a landlord could recover for damages. The other consideration is that most properties that are cheap enough for section 8 also are old and fall under rent control, making it more difficult to evict bad tenants. Landlords will adapt. A few will decide to convert to condos. Many more will do more strict screening up front- credit report, background check, application fees- to weed out those same section 8 tenants. Most smart ones will add a lot more restrictions to the lease so they can evict bad tenants. Some landlords will get burned before they learn their lesson. If you live in a neighborhood/building with high demand, I wouldn't expect many section 8 neighbors anytime soon.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
What landlords will likely do is disqualify based on other criteria .

From an article from the L.A Times editorial board that is pushing for this policy statewide ( surprise surprise )

“Property owners would still be able to screen tenants for rental or credit history, check references and set other common standards.”

Just seems like another symbolic thing to make it seem like they are “helping “ people .

Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
That is the main reason for most landlords, but there is also a risk that if a poor tenant damages a property, they don't have any assets that a landlord could recover for damages. The other consideration is that most properties that are cheap enough for section 8 also are old and fall under rent control, making it more difficult to evict bad tenants. Landlords will adapt. A few will decide to convert to condos. Many more will do more strict screening up front- credit report, background check, application fees- to weed out those same section 8 tenants. Most smart ones will add a lot more restrictions to the lease so they can evict bad tenants. Some landlords will get burned before they learn their lesson. If you live in a neighborhood/building with high demand, I wouldn't expect many section 8 neighbors anytime soon.
Yup
Another win /cottage industry for the lawyers , there will be lawyers that specialize in creating these leases and helping landlords work around rule .

But the politicians will point to it as a “big success for the poor “

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,443,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Years ago sec 8 used to cover landlords for damages done to the properties. They stopped doing that. I guess they realized it was too expensive to cover those tenants that had no skin in the game. Those types have less concern over taking care of the property.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,310,310 times
Yeah any landlord with even an ounce of common sense knows there are holes big enough to run a freight train through in order to circumvent Section 8 and not be accused of discrimination.

As others have said, establishing credit score minima is probably the easiest way to do this (even if the *real*, unstated reason is something very illegal and discriminatory). As far as I know, this is not illegal at all. So set it high. Like 720 or above. No person in the country that's eligible for Section 8 will be carrying a FICO that high. Problem solved.

Stalling with the application process because it was "incomplete" while betting a more creditworthy tenant will come along in the interim is another. In a hot, tight market such as LA, this also shouldn't be a problem for anything but the most run down buildings in the worst areas.

"Oops. Your application couldn't be processed. So it was put on hold. And awe shucks. Just your luck. Someone else came and completed one for themselves. Unit no longer available".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles