U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 989 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be working in Santa Clarita and was wondering which areas to live in. Ideally, I'd like to live within 20 miles from work as well as reasonably close to nightlife (less than 25 miles would be preferable).

It looks like the areas with good nightlife would be south of Santa Clarita. If so, which areas should I target for renting? So far, I was thinking of Northridge and Granada Hills. Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Encino would be better, but that would be too far out from my work, so not really sure. Also, I am hoping that morning commute towards Santa Clarita would not bad, as the traffic is towards LA in the morning.

I'd be getting a one bedroom apartment. Which places would you recommend for renting? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,843,879 times
You didn't state a budget range, sooo...North Hills, Sylmar above the 210, Mission Hills, Granada Hills.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 989 times
Appreciate your input, kttam186290.

Budget would be around $1700 for a 1BR. Which two of those four places would you recommend as the better options? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM

8,441 posts, read 11,189,161 times
For nightlife and young people, Studio City, which has the added advantage of being just over the hills (via Laurel Canyon) from Hollywood.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
For nightlife and young people, Studio City, which has the added advantage of being just over the hills (via Laurel Canyon) from Hollywood.
I agree, but they want to be closer to Santa Clarita for work.

OP: I'd go with North Hills/Granada Hills, but don't limit yourself.

You might look for rooms to rent at that price, as I don't think an apartment is within that range?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 PM

8 posts, read 989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Thanks nightlysparrow, for the input. Sounds like Studio City would be a great fit for me. The only issue is the 30 mile commute everyday. Would Sherman Oaks be a good option, as it is right next to the 405. How about Van Nuys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I agree, but they want to be closer to Santa Clarita for work.

OP: I'd go with North Hills/Granada Hills, but don't limit yourself.

You might look for rooms to rent at that price, as I don't think an apartment is within that range?
Thanks kttam186290, this is helpful. Are there specific areas of North Hills that you recommend? Is Northridge a good option?

Renting a room would be good, but it'll be difficult to move all my stuff into it, since I'm now in a 1 BR. Also, if it is someone's home, they'll have their own rules that I'd have to abide by. So I am leaning more towards an apartment.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg949 View Post
Thanks nightlysparrow, for the input. Sounds like Studio City would be a great fit for me. The only issue is the 30 mile commute everyday. Would Sherman Oaks be a good option, as it is right next to the 405. How about Van Nuys?
Lake Balboa would be better than Van Nuys. It is on the west side of the 405 freeway and used to be part of Van Nuys before successfully petitioning the City of Los Angeles to break off into its own neighborhood. Sherman Oaks is next to Studio City and I think you'll be pushing it with that $1,700 budget.

Still try and look, by all means!

Quote:
kttam186290, this is helpful. Are there specific areas of North Hills that you recommend? Is Northridge a good option?

Renting a room would be good, but it'll be difficult to move all my stuff into it, since I'm now in a 1 BR. Also, if it is someone's home, they'll have their own rules that I'd have to abide by. So I am leaning more towards an apartment.
Apartments are going to jump in price in Northridge due to the presence of California State University Northridge (go Matadors!) being there. You could try Reseda, which is close to Northridge and slightly less pricey.

Heading over that way is going to really push that "30 minute commute" on your wish list, though. Do a google map search of "Sylmar" and look at the communities immediately adjacent to it. This is the northern San Fernando Valley. Familiarize yourself with that specific area!

If it were me, I'd stick to Sylmar, North Hills, Granada Hills or Mission Hills. Nice thing about Sylmar is it rapidly gets you from the 210, to the 118, and then briefly onto the 5 before you hit the 170 south towards Hollywood. Mission Hills gets you access to the 5, and the 170 south to Hollywood, and then on other side of Mission Hills is the 405 south to West Los Angeles/Santa Monica.

Two other places you might look into are Lakeview Terrace and Pacoima. Lakeview Terrace will be pricier and Pacoima will be a little more within your range. Pacoima has a rough reputation but it is not what I would call a "bad" area at this point. It's very working class and Latino, as is Sylmar and Mission Hills.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM

8,441 posts, read 11,189,161 times
Quote:
Thanks nightlysparrow, for the input. Sounds like Studio City would be a great fit for me. The only issue is the 30 mile commute everyday. Would Sherman Oaks be a good option, as it is right next to the 405. How about Van Nuys?.
Not really, you could take the 170 freeway which goes into the 5 to Santa Clarita. The 405 and the 170 end up in the same place. Sherman Oaks is nice, but except along Ventura Blvd., pretty dull.

There is nothing that would interest you in Van Nuys, North Hills or Granada Hills. Nothing.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM

842 posts, read 746,857 times
There is going to be some give and take here.

Northridge, Granada Hills, and North Hills are certainly closer, but there is pretty much no nightlife. You've got a couple bars here and there scattered around and a couple spots at the Northridge mall, but otherwise, it is pretty much surburbia with non-descript strip malls. Northridge and Granada Hills are fine if you're looking to get more bang for your buck on a home in a safe area with a little more space and don't care about having to drive longer distances for amenities. Otherwise, as noted, there is frankly little to nothing of interest in these areas. There is a reason why it's cheaper overall compared to south Valley communities such as Encino, Sherman Oaks, and Studio City.

My top recommendation would be Sherman Oaks with Encino and Studio City right behind. Apartments might be few and far between at $1,700, but if you're fine with something smaller and fewer amenities, then great. And because you'll have a reverse commute, your commute would only be an extra 10-15 minutes compared to Northridge / Granada Hills. In fact, it may comparable if you lived in Sherman Oaks right by the 405 versus smack dab in the middle of Northridge where it can take a while to get around on surface streets just to get the freeway.

I can understanding living somewhere in the north Valley if you're more price conscious, want more bang for your buck, and don't really care if there isn't much to do. But if you are a young, single person especially that wants to be enjoy nightlife and be out and about while closer to the city core, I'd much rather be in and around somewhere like Sherman Oaks.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM

247 posts, read 96,045 times
Quote:
Budget would be around $1700 for a 1BR. Which two of those four places would you recommend as the better options? Thanks.
Why blow $1700/mo on rent! Working in Santa Clarita puts you in a great advantage buying a home in Palmdale. Its about the 20 miles away. Compared to the bleary-eyed workers who fight all the way into LA from there, you'd have a breeze of a commute

Only the nightlife thing may disappoint. But, what's most important to you, building equity and financial freedom, or blowing it away on rent and booze?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or