Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,816 times

Advertisements

I've got some popcorn ceiling I want to remove, which might contain asbestos.

So I google it, and it appears the Azusa landfill takes asbestos. But..

Then I call the trash company only to find out the Azusa landfill is closed to the public, which means no one can easily dispose of asbestos.

You know what this means?..... people will just throw asbestos directly into their weekly trash bins.

how bout that. Good job Waste Management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 PM

8,427 posts, read 10,849,588 times
Usually when someone is going to remove asbestos, they hire a company contracted, and licensed to do asbestos removal.
I also believe companies must obtain permits do do the removal
Best check with your city government to avoid some possible fines.
I don't think it is legal for a homeowner to remove it themselves.

Bob,

Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,345,108 times
Throw it in your neighbors garbage the night before pickup

Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Throw it in your neighbors garbage the night before pickup
That is a federal crime.
Asbestos removal requires special training and accreditation. You do not want to do it yourself. Breathing that stuff will make you deathly ill.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
The bad part about living/rennovating an older house pre-lead paint and pre-asbestos. That problem is not commonly encountered in Texas, at least in the Houston area where the population has mushroomed about 2-3x since 1980. Lots of newer houses here and the other Texas metros compared to the settled areas on both coasts and the Upper Midwest.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,722 times
I can actually help you with this! The Azusa landfill will actually take asbestos from the public. I had the same issue with waste management and could NOT get a direct answer so I drove up there and spoke with the actual landfill. They open to the public at 7 am and to the pros at 8. He recommended to come at 7 to avoid the crazy lines. They will only take 50 pounds at a time at $85 a bag. It must be double bagged and labeled correctly.

But I agree with the above. It's better to have the pro's deal with it. In CA you can only remove under 100 sq feet legally or else you have to have a permit. This is what stopped us in our tracks and we are now going to have the pro's handle it. Of course I found all of this out AFTER I had to do the leg work with no help from waste management.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:18 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,857,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius the Cat View Post
I can actually help you with this! The Azusa landfill will actually take asbestos from the public. I had the same issue with waste management and could NOT get a direct answer so I drove up there and spoke with the actual landfill. They open to the public at 7 am and to the pros at 8. He recommended to come at 7 to avoid the crazy lines. They will only take 50 pounds at a time at $85 a bag. It must be double bagged and labeled correctly.

But I agree with the above. It's better to have the pro's deal with it. In CA you can only remove under 100 sq feet legally or else you have to have a permit. This is what stopped us in our tracks and we are now going to have the pro's handle it. Of course I found all of this out AFTER I had to do the leg work with no help from waste management.
Really? I see the state recognizing that hey if this isn't disposed of in a proper environment then it can wreck havoc. I don't see why this would be a bad thing. People will always be a irresponsible, but we only control ourselves and we should do our part.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius the Cat View Post

https://www.wmsolutions.com/locations/details/id/181

I was gonna drive to azusa myself to ask. But thanks for doing that for me.

$85 a bag is a giant rip off, considering that the other dump site charges $120/ TON for non-friable asbestos. Yeah I know, popcorn is friable. But still, $85 for 50lbs is expensive.
https://www.wm.com/location/californ...e_Schedule.pdf

When you water down the popcorn, that's about 2 regular sized bedrooms.

However, it's still cheaper than hiring a company to do the same thing for something that is easily done properly and safely, and charging 20x more.
It's not that they have special tools or procedures. It's just that they need to pay a lot for certification and compliance etc, and that cost gets passed to us consumers.

Seeing how azusa only takes 50 lbs at a time, I don't think anyone would know whether you removed 100sqft or 1000sqft of popcorn.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,249,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
https://www.wmsolutions.com/locations/details/id/181

I was gonna drive to azusa myself to ask. But thanks for doing that for me.

$85 a bag is a giant rip off, considering that the other dump site charges $120/ TON for non-friable asbestos. Yeah I know, popcorn is friable. But still, $85 for 50lbs is expensive.
https://www.wm.com/location/californ...e_Schedule.pdf

When you water down the popcorn, that's about 2 regular sized bedrooms.

However, it's still cheaper than hiring a company to do the same thing for something that is easily done properly and safely, and charging 20x more.
It's not that they have special tools or procedures. It's just that they need to pay a lot for certification and compliance etc, and that cost gets passed to us consumers.

Seeing how azusa only takes 50 lbs at a time, I don't think anyone would know whether you removed 100sqft or 1000sqft of popcorn.

I did enough googling, and
All I see is- it is NOT illegal to remove asbestos yourself. The 100sqft rule applies to contractors who are hired for work, not for homeowners DIY.
Interesting.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM

8,427 posts, read 10,849,588 times
It sure seems like you are going to do this on your own(which I think is extremely stupid), so make sure all kids, and pets are far away from the house when you tackle this job, and don't rely on one of those paper mask to protect you.
You should get a quality respirator any time you are anywhere near asbestos.
I don't know if you are aware of the dangers asbestos causes, so you may want to forget about doing it yourself.

Once the material is removed, are you aware that you will have to wash down everything in the room,and adjoining rooms, even if you lay down tarps. everything.
Again, I caution you about doing this removal, but take one sentence that has stayed with me my entire life, and think about it.

"Those who will not listen, must feel".
I am sure you have enough intelligence to understand that one sentence.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles