Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 15,604 times

Advertisements

I’m 38 AA and my husband is 35 Mexican American. 3 kids. 2 will be going to college prior to the move. So really just need to find a good school district for my son who will be in 8th grade when we move. My current job has a location in Poway where I can work or the option to telecommute. Leaving me open to move to LA. Husband has been at his same job for 19 years . Currently a director for a nationwide youth program. He’s going to want to work with kids either something in athletics or anything with youth in general. I work in retirement benefits but also sell real estate. I plan on getting licensed in CA before the move. Our combined salaries are about 120K (not including real estate income). We know it’s way more expensive in California and have no problem working additional jobs. I’m originally from the east coast and no stranger to hustling. Hoping to find an apartment. 2 bedrooms under 2K. Husband is not familiar with living in a big city. Looking for an area that’s somewhat in the burbs. Don’t need to be super close to the water about an hour ride is good. Would like a diverse area don’t care about which races but don’t want to be the only people of color. Please help. I just don’t know where to start. Hoping to move during winter break of next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
Culver City seems to check all your boxes. They have good schools, close to the beach and reasonable rents. You will find diversity in most parts of LA, maybe a little less so in the high wealth areas.
Here's a link to a rental on Trulia in Culver City just as a reference for you. Keep in mind rents keep going up here and may need to budget more for rent.
https://www.trulia.com/c/ca/culver-c...32--2077527921
You can check school scores, crime rates, view maps, etc. on Trulia, one stop shopping!
You should also place your post in the San Diego forum and hopefully RosieSD or other San Diegian can help you with info for that area.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2bos2tx2ca View Post
I’m 38 AA and my husband is 35 Mexican American. 3 kids. 2 will be going to college prior to the move. So really just need to find a good school district for my son who will be in 8th grade when we move. My current job has a location in Poway where I can work or the option to telecommute. Leaving me open to move to LA. Husband has been at his same job for 19 years . Currently a director for a nationwide youth program. He’s going to want to work with kids either something in athletics or anything with youth in general. I work in retirement benefits but also sell real estate. I plan on getting licensed in CA before the move. Our combined salaries are about 120K (not including real estate income). We know it’s way more expensive in California and have no problem working additional jobs. I’m originally from the east coast and no stranger to hustling. Hoping to find an apartment. 2 bedrooms under 2K. Husband is not familiar with living in a big city. Looking for an area that’s somewhat in the burbs. Don’t need to be super close to the water about an hour ride is good. Would like a diverse area don’t care about which races but don’t want to be the only people of color. Please help. I just don’t know where to start. Hoping to move during winter break of next year.
I think I would research the Poway and north San Diego areas for starters. I have no idea where you will find a nice apartment with good schools in the L.A area for $2,000 a month. I am sure it can be done though.
I disagree with Culver City if your hubby isn't gun hoe about living in the city. Of course we all have our ideas about what is the right decision and you are very wise to get started by posing on city data Probably your net step is to take a week visiting the areas that seem workable and narrow it down to just a few.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,209 times
Forget the LA area. First, you'll be too far away from Poway. Second, you won't find a 2 bedroom under $2K in a decent neighborhood with good schools.

I would consider north San Diego or south OC, so make sure to post in the San Diego and OC forums.

However, once again, even in good parts of San Diego and OC, you won't find much under $2K, or if so, it won't be that nice. Not sure what areas you've visited or plan to visit, but definitely scope out as many areas as you can to get a feel for things.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2bos2tx2ca View Post
Consider Temecula in the IE. Just North of SD County on the 15 and lower prices and not a bad commute to Poway, though traffic will be heavy part of the way.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
If you have a job lined up in Poway why not live there? It has one of the top school districts in the state.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-04-2019 at 01:02 AM..

Old 06-04-2019, 07:50 AM

13 posts, read 15,604 times
It’s an option for sure. I’ve heard great things about the school district.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Poway/Pomerado is a great area, do more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles