U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 5,348 times

Advertisements

First, thank you in advance.

I had posted this in the OC thread but found that some cities are in LA.

Basically, considering a lifestyle/quality of life change from TX to SoCal due to weather, outdoor lifestyle and activities. Have young children.

How would Beverly Hills, Rancho Palos Verdes, or Thousand Oaks meet the following criteria (please recommend other areas if you think they would work better)

-Tight knit community, the kind of place children can play unsupervised in neighborhoods. A community with a high degree of civic sense.
-Within 1 hour of LAX, not counting traffic.
-Growing or stable (definitely not shrinking areas). Potential upswing of employment rates to support our business.
-Plenty of healthy lifestyle/recreation/food options
-Excellent schools (public or private)
-Left leaning/liberal, educated community. NOT ultra left. Fiscal conservative, social liberal.
-We don't like to move. A place where we would likely be happy to retire 20+ years from now.
-We can comfortably purchase a home around $3MN, would like down to earth neighbors and a community. --We want a single family home with a yard.

Question: Any areas that have better air quality, and since this may be a place we may want to retire, and hopefully our kids would remain close, is SoCal a place where the majority of people who grow up live in their adulthood, or is it a place where people like to move out due to whatever reason (jobs, lifestyle, etc.)? One of my biggest fears is seeing my kids, when they are adults, 1x or 2x a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM

844 posts, read 769,911 times
Of the cities you've listed, you're not necessarily going to meet all the criteria, but certainly most of them depending on the city. So here's my breakdown of the cities you mentioned plus a couple other suggestions.

Beverly Hills is a super wealthy area that is very safe with great schools, right next to high-paying jobs, and close to all sorts of amenities as well as LAX. Also, because it is its own city and not part of the city of LA, you see your taxpayer dollars at work with immaculate streets and everything in pristine condition. And there is ultra high-end shopping and dining with more of a city vibe than a suburban vibe. Downsides are that it may not be quite as tight knit in the vein of a more suburban area, especially given that you have a fair amount of folks who have second homes there and are not there all the time. Definitely not a place where you see a lot of kids playing outside. Also, there is just such an insane amount of wealth with a lot of glamour that it just seems like a bit of an odd place for a kid to grow up in that is a bit of a bubble to put it mildly.

While I'm not as familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes, I've known a few folks from there and they have great things to say. It's a solid, family-friendly area with excellent schools and very safe. Given that it's right on the coast, the air is great and it's a pretty peaceful place. One of the downsides is that while it's relative seclusion can a positive, it takes a while to get to the freeway, especially during rush hour. It can be a slog getting to certain places.

Thousand Oaks is the most typically suburban area and the most politically conservative of the three you mentioned. Again, it's very family friendly with good schools and lots of parks for kids to play plus great air quality. And if you like the outdoors, it's ideal for hiking and biking. Plus, you'll get more bang for your buck out there house-wise. And while it's surrounded by hills and mountains, it's a fairly quick drive over to Malibu if you want to go to the beach. Downsides are that it's fairly isolated from the greater LA area and it's not a major job center. So unless your job is nearby and you don't plan to go into the city much, be prepared to drive a lot. And to get to LAX, it will probably take you a little over an hour with no traffic. There is also the Burbank airport, which still has a lot of national routes, but it will still take you 45 minutes to an hour to get there with no traffic. Another downside is higher fire risk. If you're considering Thousand Oaks, I'd specifically look into Westlake Village or at least the eastern part of Thousand Oaks close to Westlake Village. And with your budget, I'd specifically look into the North Ranch and Lake Sherwood areas of Westlake Village.

Other areas I'd consider are La Canada and Manhattan Beach. Both have excellent schools and are family friendly plus very safe. La Canada is in the foothills and is a more laid back, quiet area with beautiful, tree lined streets. While it may not have much going on, which is certainly part of its appeal, it is still very close to downtown LA and other areas with amenities. Manhattan Beach is great if you want more of a beach lifestyle. However, even with your budget, you won't get as much in terms of home and lot size.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Thanks. I will rule out BH. I am not looking for a very large home, around 4k would be fine. Any idea on RPV property appreciation? In $MM range homes, I have been reading that people who can afford such are opting for smaller, easier to maintain properties in well located (usually closer in to city centers) rather than larger (estate style) homes further out. For example, right now buying a $MM large estate home in CT is much cheaper than years ago - people would rather live/work closer to NYC. Ditto for London. I'd hate to spend X dollars only to be able to sell it for .YX down the line.

I am so glad I am posting here - what are other areas to avoid that are "in the line of fire" so to speak? Cant deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Of the cities you've listed, you're not necessarily going to meet all the criteria, but certainly most of them depending on the city. So here's my breakdown of the cities you mentioned plus a couple other suggestions.

While I'm not as familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes, I've known a few folks from there and they have great things to say. It's a solid, family-friendly area with excellent schools and very safe. Given that it's right on the coast, the air is great and it's a pretty peaceful place. One of the downsides is that while it's relative seclusion can a positive, it takes a while to get to the freeway, especially during rush hour. It can be a slog getting to certain places.

Thousand Oaks is the most typically suburban area and the most politically conservative of the three you mentioned. Again, it's very family friendly with good schools and lots of parks for kids to play plus great air quality. And if you like the outdoors, it's ideal for hiking and biking. Plus, you'll get more bang for your buck out there house-wise. And while it's surrounded by hills and mountains, it's a fairly quick drive over to Malibu if you want to go to the beach. Downsides are that it's fairly isolated from the greater LA area and it's not a major job center. So unless your job is nearby and you don't plan to go into the city much, be prepared to drive a lot. And to get to LAX, it will probably take you a little over an hour with no traffic. There is also the Burbank airport, which still has a lot of national routes, but it will still take you 45 minutes to an hour to get there with no traffic. Another downside is higher fire risk. If you're considering Thousand Oaks, I'd specifically look into Westlake Village or at least the eastern part of Thousand Oaks close to Westlake Village. And with your budget, I'd specifically look into the North Ranch and Lake Sherwood areas of Westlake Village.

Other areas I'd consider are La Canada and Manhattan Beach. Both have excellent schools and are family friendly plus very safe. La Canada is in the foothills and is a more laid back, quiet area with beautiful, tree lined streets. While it may not have much going on, which is certainly part of its appeal, it is still very close to downtown LA and other areas with amenities. Manhattan Beach is great if you want more of a beach lifestyle. However, even with your budget, you won't get as much in terms of home and lot size.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM

192 posts, read 263,747 times
Well said SoCal88. I'd also consider South Pasadena, Pasadena near Cal Tech and San Marino as well.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,754,306 times
I didn't want to raise my kids in LA, so we moved to SD, but if I HAD to live in LA, it would be either Brentwood or Pasadena areas.

You might consider Calabasas, but it could easily take more than an hour to get to LAX in traffic.

I'd also look into Newport Beach/Irvine.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 PM

48 posts, read 10,026 times
Pasadena area. Either the surrounding communities if you want public schools (La Canada, South Pas, San Marino) or Pasadena/Altadena/Sierra Madre if you want to do private (of which there are a ton).

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Mind sharing why you felt SD was a better place to raise a family than LA?

For someone like our family (that bores easily), would SD be a better option or LA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I didn't want to raise my kids in LA, so we moved to SD, but if I HAD to live in LA, it would be either Brentwood or Pasadena areas.

You might consider Calabasas, but it could easily take more than an hour to get to LAX in traffic.

I'd also look into Newport Beach/Irvine.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM

I've checked the weather in San Marino, Calabassas, La Canada, Pasadena, all are showing noticeably hotter right now compared to areas closer to the coast.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 AM

15,613 posts, read 14,880,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
I've checked the weather in San Marino, La Canada, Pasadena, all are showing noticeably hotter right now compared to areas closer to the coast.
Pasadena Unified ranks at the bottom of the state. However, there are some great private schools there, to the tune of $20K and up per year. And San Marino would not fit the below criteria. (Educated, yes; liberal, no. And unless La Canada has recently become less conservative, the same would apply there.)

Quote:
-Left leaning/liberal, educated community. NOT ultra left. Fiscal conservative, social liberal.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM

12,112 posts, read 10,240,962 times
Quote:
I've checked the weather in San Marino, Calabassas, La Canada, Pasadena, all are showing noticeably hotter right now compared to areas closer to the coast.
Yes, inland is hotter than the coast here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or