Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 20,793 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods in the Los Angeles area are the best to live?? The ones I am considering are Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, maybe Marina Del Rey or Pacific Palisades. I'd like to know how safe these areas generally are. Also, which neighborhoods in the LA area should I stay away from? I've heard parts of Hollywood and Santa Monica are a bit sketchy. I am looking to move into an area which has a good amount of restaurants and shops nearby, yet isn't scary to walk around at night. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
The best neighborhood question is very subjective. Everyone is looking for something different. If you give us some characteristics you are looking for, we may be able to help you find a neighborhood that suits you!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
More info would help (i.e. your budget, young and single or family, etc)

But if you want a neighborhood where you can walk to cafes and stores I would recommend: Santa Monica (near Montana, 3rd Street Promenade or near Main Street), Manhattan Bch, Larchmont Village, or the Fairfax district(near The Grove).

And IMO, Beverly Hills is overrated(it just ain't what it used to be) same with Westwood unless you're a student at UCLA, the Palisades are sort of ehhh(unless you have a family), the Marina is ok (but you would do better to do the Main Street corridor in SaMo)

And lastly, a word to the wise...there really is NO neighborhood in which I would state that it is safe to walk around at night alone...absolutely none. Be street smart no matter what the median income of your zip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0w_peas View Post
Which neighborhoods in the Los Angeles area are the best to live?? The ones I am considering are Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, maybe Marina Del Rey or Pacific Palisades. I'd like to know how safe these areas generally are. Also, which neighborhoods in the LA area should I stay away from? I've heard parts of Hollywood and Santa Monica are a bit sketchy. I am looking to move into an area which has a good amount of restaurants and shops nearby, yet isn't scary to walk around at night. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
The nieghborhoods you've selected are considered the best in L.A. Which also means they are the among the most expensive.
Calipoppy has given you excellent advice.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 20,793 times
Hey, thanks everyone Well we would be renting (a couple in our 20's; no kids) and as for the budget, I'd say between 2,000 and 2,500. Definately would need a building with a parking lot or garage. I have heard that west LA is a good area as far as safety is concerned. I'm not sure where the borders of west LA begin and end though. Is Westwood a college town? Basically we are looking for an atmosphere which is near a major street or shopping area (5min drive) but not so loud at night when we are trying to sleep. (drunk college kids) And not an area where people who want to retire live. Are there any particular neighborhoods anyone can recommend?? Hope that was helpful! Please reply! Thanks all!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Compton. Definetly Compton!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks everyone Well we would be renting (a couple in our 20's; no kids) and as for the budget, I'd say between 2,000 and 2,500. Definately would need a building with a parking lot or garage. I have heard that west LA is a good area as far as safety is concerned. I'm not sure where the borders of west LA begin and end though. Is Westwood a college town? Basically we are looking for an atmosphere which is near a major street or shopping area (5min drive) but not so loud at night when we are trying to sleep. (drunk college kids) And not an area where people who want to retire live. Are there any particular neighborhoods anyone can recommend?? Hope that was helpful! Please reply! Thanks all!
I live a few blocks off main st in santa monica near ocean park blvd. and i think it has exactly what you're looking for in your price range. plenty of places to eat/drink/shop within walking distance, a short bike ride, or short drive. also, you're just blocks from the ocean and in between 2 major tourist destinations (venice boardwalk and SM pier/3rd st promenade) for when out of towners come to visit. it has a great neighborhood feel with a weekly farmer's market that even has a bike valet. also, since venice and the SM pier are so close, most tourists completely miss this area so it has a great locals only kind of vibe, even though people from all over the westside/LA come to visit.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Yes, Westwood is a college town (UCLA) Brentwood would be a good alternative it's between Westwood and Santa Monica. With your budget, you can well afford those areas. Westwood is good for shopping as is the Wilshire strip in Brentwood. The Third St Promenade and surrounding (Santa Monica) is fun, too.

Good Luck

Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
More info would help (i.e. your budget, young and single or family, etc)

But if you want a neighborhood where you can walk to cafes and stores I would recommend: Santa Monica (near Montana, 3rd Street Promenade or near Main Street), Manhattan Bch, Larchmont Village, or the Fairfax district(near The Grove).

And IMO, Beverly Hills is overrated(it just ain't what it used to be) same with Westwood unless you're a student at UCLA, the Palisades are sort of ehhh(unless you have a family), the Marina is ok (but you would do better to do the Main Street corridor in SaMo)

And lastly, a word to the wise...there really is NO neighborhood in which I would state that it is safe to walk around at night alone...absolutely none. Be street smart no matter what the median income of your zip code.
No place safe to walk? I know it's rather subjective, but my wife and have walked down the Santa Monica Pier, Los Feliz, South Pasadena, Pasadena, even downtown from Figueroa and 3rd all the way to the Pantry. This was done at night, many times.

I don't think we are urban commandos or anything. Just a couple of 50 year-olds wandering around town.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM

263 posts, read 757,560 times
Quote:
I live a few blocks off main st in santa monica near ocean park blvd. and i think it has exactly what you're looking for in your price range. plenty of places to eat/drink/shop within walking distance, a short bike ride, or short drive. also, you're just blocks from the ocean and in between 2 major tourist destinations (venice boardwalk and SM pier/3rd st promenade) for when out of towners come to visit. it has a great neighborhood feel with a weekly farmer's market that even has a bike valet. also, since venice and the SM pier are so close, most tourists completely miss this area so it has a great locals only kind of vibe, even though people from all over the westside/LA come to visit.
Everyone always says "north of Wilshire"...lol, but I also think the area mentioned above (which is Ocean Park) is a fine area and in a great location for the beach, shopping and restaurants and very pedestrian friendly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles