Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM

60 posts, read 168,225 times

Advertisements

Hey there all. Does anyone have any insight on the North Doheny area near Sunset?

I relocated from NYC to Santa Monica last summer and although I love SM, I am not that much of a beach person. SM also seems far from everywhere I spend my time. I think I'd prefer to be more centrally located in LA. I also would prefer to be in a more upscale, well-maintained building with amenities and newer finishing and appliances. Finally, I also work downtown and now that I live here seem to spend most of my time in the BH/WeHo areas.

Btw, I'm a single straight female, late 40s in case that helps. Would this area be a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf123 View Post
Hey there all. Does anyone have any insight on the North Doheny area near Sunset?

I relocated from NYC to Santa Monica last summer and although I love SM, I am not that much of a beach person. SM also seems far from everywhere I spend my time. I think I'd prefer to be more centrally located in LA. I also would prefer to be in a more upscale, well-maintained building with amenities and newer finishing and appliances. Finally, I also work downtown and now that I live here seem to spend most of my time in the BH/WeHo areas.

Btw, I'm a single straight female, late 40s in case that helps. Would this area be a good choice?
I would agree that santa monica is not the best choice for you. Crossing the 405 each day is not worth it given your preferences.

Have you figured out the commute to downtown from N. Doheny? Your looking at surface streets east to downtown which is not a quick route.

Have you thought of the areas around fairfax, la cienega, la brea. beverly, melrose etc that are further south but in the same general area. There are brand new developments all over the west hollywood including the adjacent los angeles neighborhoods.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Sunset/Doheny is on the very west end of the sunset strip. traffic there can be ridiculous, not just during rush hour because of all the office building in the area, but also because of the dining/drinking/dancing that people go there for in the night time. i think it would be a great place to have a nice apartment if you didn't live there full time and were only in town for a few weeks at a time. otherwise, i'd imagine it would get old fast.

you might consider the miracle mile area or larchmont village area. both of these hoods have very well maintained older/architectural buildings. not only that, they have a very central location to the areas you appear to be spending most of your time (WeHo and Downtown). Both are also failry expensive neighborhoods, but if you're coming from SM then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
in west hollywood, check out some of the remodeled properties around fountain/crescent heights/fairfax. i looked at a few of the finished units in the building on the southeast corner of fountain and hayvenhurst about six months ago, and they have all the features you want. the project wasn't completed then, but it should be now. it's close to sunset, but not so close that you hear all the street noise, and it's far enough from club-central that you don't have to worry about drunks peeing on your lawn.

3rd or beverly are the best E/W streets to take downtown from west hollywood. beverly becomes 1st street when you get downtown.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Larchmont was an excellent suggestion, it has a cute walking village that artsy types are attracted to. Actually, both of BR's suggestions would be mine but I would focus the Miracle Mile area to Park La Brea there are a lot of professional people in the community. You are also between Miracle Mile's Wilshire and The Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles