U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2019, 02:00 PM
 
8 posts, read 3,096 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

hello! any one from Lancaster Ca.? moving there in Jan. and have a few questions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2019, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,935 posts, read 3,255,739 times
Reputation: 5463
My brother and parents live in Palmdale, the neighboring city of Lancaster. I am somewhat familiar with the area, as I visit there often.



I grew up in Santa Clarita and the San Fernando Valley, which are south of there by 30 and 45 minutes. I'll do my best to answer any question until someone else can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 02:22 PM
 
8 posts, read 3,096 times
Reputation: 10
thanks we lived in Piru for a year then moved to Vegas. Our kids bought a house in Lancaster and we are moving back w/ them. do you know how much Waste Mgm. charges for trash pick up at a house?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,935 posts, read 3,255,739 times
Reputation: 5463
[mod cut]

About 10-15 years ago, when the economy crashed, the area experienced an influx of Section 8 renters who settled mostly on the east sides of both cities.

Since the economy has picked up in the last 5 years, a lot of those rental homes turned over to actual homeowners and the lower-income renters moved on to other places outside of the area (Victorville, Las Vegas, Barstow, Kern County, etc). I know this because I have several contacts there who work in social services and have first-hand knowledge. I also know people in the housing authority office who handle voucher transfers.


As per crime, yeah, they've got it, but it isn't that bad. Palmdale's crime rate for 2018 was something on the order of 22/1,000, which isn't high for a city that size. Lancaster's was around 32/1,000, it being the larger city. If you don't go looking for problems in the worst parts of town, you won't have much to worry about. And that's true almost anywhere.

There has been a renaissance in the Antelope Valley in aerospace research with the Mojave Space Port (think SpaceX, Virgin-Galactic, etc), NASA's SOFIA project, the FAA Los Angeles office, BYD, Japanese electric-train builder Kinkisharyo, and the expansion of the mission at Edwards Air Force Base.

The Antelope Valley is actually doing quite well right now. I can tell you that my brother has lived there for almost 15 years now and has no plans to go anywhere, as he loves his home and neighborhood. His wife and children are happy there too. My parents are very happy as well and love the lack of congestion and lower cost of housing.

For me, it's just a 45 min. drive north to visit them all. My eldest niece plans to move in with me to go to LA Valley College and then CSUN in about 4 more years when she gets to college level. And then she wants to return to the Antelope Valley with her BSN and work in pediatrics. When I retire, I plan to move out that way to be closer to all of them. That should tell you a lot.

Last edited by volosong; 12-06-2019 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2019, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Idaho
4,937 posts, read 4,882,850 times
Reputation: 10031
Quote:
Originally Posted by halochef View Post
thanks we lived in Piru for a year then moved to Vegas. Our kids bought a house in Lancaster and we are moving back w/ them. do you know how much Waste Mgm. charges for trash pick up at a house?? Thanks!
halochef, I see that nobody answered your question. I lived in Palmdale for fourteen years until about two years ago when I retired from JPL and moved out of state for my Golden Years. I also taught at AVC for thirteen of those years. I liked my time in Palmdale. One thing to remember..."west of the freeway". There is a lot higher quality-of-life on the west side. I was in an area called "Rancho Vista". One of the best things I liked about the Antelope Valley was the clean air, (compared to the L.A. Basin), the closeness to getting out in the boonies, (mountains or desert), and the awesome bicycling opportunities. (What I didn't like was the summer heat, frequently triple-digits. At least the humidity is low.)

Anyway, to your question about Waste Management, and remember that this is two-year old information, but I don't expect it to have changed too much. I paid right at $60 every other month. This is for a single large blue trash container. Along with that, they give you a "free" gray green-waste container and a green recycle container. Both of those are slightly smaller than the blue container. Only gotcha is that you have to pay for the blue container to get the green-waste and recycle container, (i.e., no free containers unless you pay for the trash pickup).

I'm not sure, but I think they will give you a second green-waste container, if needed. My lady friend who still lives in Rancho Vista has a second green-waste container and I don't think she is paying extra for it. I'll ask next time we talk.

As part of your Waste Management account, you can also take hazardous waste, (e.g., electronics, old paint, solvents), to the hazardous waste drop off center on some Saturday mornings, located off Tierra Subida south of Elizabeth Lake Road.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 11:18 AM
 
8 posts, read 3,096 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
[mod cut]

About 10-15 years ago, when the economy crashed, the area experienced an influx of Section 8 renters who settled mostly on the east sides of both cities.

Since the economy has picked up in the last 5 years, a lot of those rental homes turned over to actual homeowners and the lower-income renters moved on to other places outside of the area (Victorville, Las Vegas, Barstow, Kern County, etc). I know this because I have several contacts there who work in social services and have first-hand knowledge. I also know people in the housing authority office who handle voucher transfers.


As per crime, yeah, they've got it, but it isn't that bad. Palmdale's crime rate for 2018 was something on the order of 22/1,000, which isn't high for a city that size. Lancaster's was around 32/1,000, it being the larger city. If you don't go looking for problems in the worst parts of town, you won't have much to worry about. And that's true almost anywhere.

There has been a renaissance in the Antelope Valley in aerospace research with the Mojave Space Port (think SpaceX, Virgin-Galactic, etc), NASA's SOFIA project, the FAA Los Angeles office, BYD, Japanese electric-train builder Kinkisharyo, and the expansion of the mission at Edwards Air Force Base.

The Antelope Valley is actually doing quite well right now. I can tell you that my brother has lived there for almost 15 years now and has no plans to go anywhere, as he loves his home and neighborhood. His wife and children are happy there too. My parents are very happy as well and love the lack of congestion and lower cost of housing.

For me, it's just a 45 min. drive north to visit them all. My eldest niece plans to move in with me to go to LA Valley College and then CSUN in about 4 more years when she gets to college level. And then she wants to return to the Antelope Valley with her BSN and work in pediatrics. When I retire, I plan to move out that way to be closer to all of them. That should tell you a lot.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 AM
 
8 posts, read 3,096 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
halochef, I see that nobody answered your question. I lived in Palmdale for fourteen years until about two years ago when I retired from JPL and moved out of state for my Golden Years. I also taught at AVC for thirteen of those years. I liked my time in Palmdale. One thing to remember..."west of the freeway". There is a lot higher quality-of-life on the west side. I was in an area called "Rancho Vista". One of the best things I liked about the Antelope Valley was the clean air, (compared to the L.A. Basin), the closeness to getting out in the boonies, (mountains or desert), and the awesome bicycling opportunities. (What I didn't like was the summer heat, frequently triple-digits. At least the humidity is low.)

Anyway, to your question about Waste Management, and remember that this is two-year old information, but I don't expect it to have changed too much. I paid right at $60 every other month. This is for a single large blue trash container. Along with that, they give you a "free" gray green-waste container and a green recycle container. Both of those are slightly smaller than the blue container. Only gotcha is that you have to pay for the blue container to get the green-waste and recycle container, (i.e., no free containers unless you pay for the trash pickup).

I'm not sure, but I think they will give you a second green-waste container, if needed. My lady friend who still lives in Rancho Vista has a second green-waste container and I don't think she is paying extra for it. I'll ask next time we talk.

As part of your Waste Management account, you can also take hazardous waste, (e.g., electronics, old paint, solvents), to the hazardous waste drop off center on some Saturday mornings, located off Tierra Subida south of Elizabeth Lake Road.
Thank you for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,243 posts, read 9,094,619 times
Reputation: 4163
Halochef

I live in Palmdale for the last 2 years. To answer your question about Waste management, I pay $75 every 2 months. Like Volosong said, you're given 3 containers, blue, green and grey. Blue is for everyday waste, Green is for recycling, and Grey is for yard waste like grass & tree branches.

I hope your kid bought you a house on the westside of 14 freeway. If so, it's a nice & safe neighborhoods. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 11:13 AM
 
181 posts, read 131,001 times
Reputation: 273
My buddy lives in Lancaster and also says it's $75 every two months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,937 posts, read 4,882,850 times
Reputation: 10031
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
My buddy lives in Lancaster and also says it's $75 every two months.
That is correct. Talked with my lady friend the other day and she verified that she pays that amount. She also said that she does not pay extra for the extra green-waste gray barrel. (Price must have gone up in the past two years. I remember paying somewhere between $60-$65 for the same time period.)
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top