U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 AM

392 posts, read 1,206,602 times
Default Earthquake Soon?

there has been an increase in earthquakes around la:

Recent Earthquakes for 118-34

could this mean we are getting ready for a big one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 AM

11,727 posts, read 24,057,537 times
No.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,307,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
there has been an increase in earthquakes around la:

Recent Earthquakes for 118-34

could this mean we are getting ready for a big one?
I think they've had more earthquakes in Illinois lately.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,464,197 times
It's always a good idea to be prepared for an earthquake. You never know when one will hit. I keep an earthquake kit in my car and one in my home. I also do monthly checks to makes sure the batteries haven't died, food hasn't expired, etc. I also keep some cash on hand because if a quake hits ATMs may go down as well as computers in the banks so it may take several days to have access to your money. I also have a pair of tennis shoes at work I'm in Century City so that I won't cut my feet on the several feet of glass projected in the event of a quake. On thing people don't think about: if you are in your car and ge trapped, TURN OFF THE ENGINE. Most of the people who died in San Francisco's last earthquake died from inhaling engine exhaust from running cars rather than injuries.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,307,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It's always a good idea to be prepared for an earthquake.
I had installed an earthquake gas shutoff valve in my California houses. I think it is around $200 installed....I forgot...good idea to get one though.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,263,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It's always a good idea to be prepared for an earthquake. You never know when one will hit. I keep an earthquake kit in my car and one in my home. I also do monthly checks to makes sure the batteries haven't died, food hasn't expired, etc. I also keep some cash on hand because if a quake hits ATMs may go down as well as computers in the banks so it may take several days to have access to your money. I also have a pair of tennis shoes at work I'm in Century City so that I won't cut my feet on the several feet of glass projected in the event of a quake. On thing people don't think about: if you are in your car and ge trapped, TURN OFF THE ENGINE. Most of the people who died in San Francisco's last earthquake died from inhaling engine exhaust from running cars rather than injuries.
This is a good post. I bought one of those rubbermaid type storage sheds that I keep outside of my garage. Its filled with water, canned food, blankets, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, radio, etc. Also keep cash at home and in car just in case.

CES, I was in the south tower in Century City on the 38th floor during a 5.0 Northridge aftershock. I was not fun.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 AM

5,468 posts, read 7,861,024 times
It's a good idea to keep good walking shoes, extra water and essential medications in the car too -- just in case you have to walk a long distance after an earthquake. Unfortunately, you can't predict where you'll get stuck if one happens.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 AM

392 posts, read 1,206,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think they've had more earthquakes in Illinois lately.
true, but i has been pretty quiet in la, and now in the past week we've had a big increase in earthquakes.

i was just curious. im from texas and never been in an earthquake, wanna feel one, just to see what it's like, maybe a 4.0 or something, nothing big.

Last edited by dereistic01; 04-23-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM

19,080 posts, read 13,630,334 times
There are earthquakes daily in CA---the big one?? Who knows?! At this point and time it's all guesses but no one "really" knows. As other posters have said just be ready. Even if the "Big" one hit you must remember that that does not mean it's the big one all over CA. It's in particular places. Yes, you could feel the effects but not always get the devastation that other areas may get. It isn't anything to concern yourself about just be prepared. It's CA after all!!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:16 PM

5,468 posts, read 7,861,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
i was just curious. im from texas and never been in an earthquake, wanna feel one, just to see what it's like, maybe a 4.0 or something, nothing big.
With little earthquakes, it's like the building you are in just "shudders." It's like one little jolt, hanging lights will sway, etc. What you feel depends on how close you are to the epicenter so you can get swaying lights with a 2.0 if you are right over the epicenter.

If there is a big earthquake, but it's far away, it kind of feels like a train moving by -- just a long low rumble with a little bit of shaking that lasts for a long time. (We felt the Loma Prieta earthquake in San Francisco where I worked in Van Nuys at the time -- but it felt like it was far away.)

Big earthquakes close by are no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles