U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,992,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
ROTFLMAO! Good one!
Looks like my responses got lost. Here's a summary:

I posted a link that had something to do with the thread. That's it. I hardly endorsed or decried the article. Further, I didn't even post MY reaction to the article until I got attacked for an article I didn't even write.

[mod cut: personal attack, off topic]

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-26-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: personal attack; off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM

620 posts, read 749,607 times
It defintaly helps having a car. But if you only take the bus you could do it in LA. The bus is pretty good, runs almost everywhere and all night. The only thing is you're white you'll experience some major racism from the riders. Its becuase 95% of all the bus riders are either hispanic, black, or asian. Only 5% of the riders are white.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,189,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i still think it is wrong of you to mislead readers by overemphasizing your atypical "car-free in LA" lifestyle, and ignoring the millions of other angelenos who could not "adjust" to living without our cars, either practically or psychologically...
Well, choose your world, own a car if you want, but don't mislead someone asking an honest question. It is possible to live in L.A. without a car -- even if it's not possible for you!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
On a bike you also learn how to get through the city on side streets and less-traveled, tree-shaded lanes. I think it's a fun challenge to find the nice bike alternates to the major thoroughfares. Sometimes I find areas where neighborhood parks connect cul-de-sacs. Perfect shortcuts for bikes.
You're going to travel 30-50 miles on your bike? Riiiigggghhhtttt!

Quote:
It is possible to live in L.A. without a car -- even if it's not possible for you!
I've lived in LA my whole life. I don't know one person who doesn't own a car.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You're going to travel 30-50 miles on your bike? Riiiigggghhhtttt!
Don't be ridiculous.

ETA: though I've commuted 40 miles one-way -- 12 by bike the rest by express bus. Worked great, and I saved a ton of cash! $$$

Quote:
I've lived in LA my whole life. I don't know one person who doesn't own a car.
Different circles; different realities. L.A. is a big place in more ways than geography.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,909,635 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous.

ETA: though I've commuted 40 miles one-way -- 12 by bike the rest by express bus. Worked great, and I saved a ton of cash! $$$
And how long your commute in hours? My 30 mile commute to Santa Clarita took 30-45 minutes most days, a route that would have taken 1-2 hours using any combination of bike, buses and Metrolink. And that's each way.

New York is all sucked in where you might be a very few miles from all of your home, work, shopping, etc., where LA is all spread out and few advanced transit options, where you may need to commute at right angles to everybody else, right across all the lines of transit and no convenient point to point transit.

LA grew up using autos for transportation, and we developed not a point-to-point commuting pattern but a spider web of every damned direction and nobody going the same way. It's really crazy but that's what we've got now.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
And how long your commute in hours? My 30 mile commute to Santa Clarita took 30-45 minutes most days, a route that would have taken 1-2 hours using any combination of bike, buses and Metrolink. And that's each way.
Bike ride 12 miles: 40 mins -- and a great way to wake up in the morning and wind down at night.

Express bus: around 30-40 mins. That was my time to relax, nap, sip coffee, read or chat with friends (fellow workers, not homeless and hopeless).

NOTE: Bus ride home sometimes took a while, but not because of the bus route. It took long because of all of the single-occupant-drivers on the freeway clogging up the road.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,463,228 times
Quote:
Well, choose your world, own a car if you want, but don't mislead someone asking an honest question. It is possible to live in L.A. without a car -- even if it's not possible for you!
i bet if we took a poll...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 PM

49 posts, read 127,696 times
I don't think anyone is misleading anyone. Many people,(Even I) have stated that having a car will make living in L.A. easier. But bikeriding is another viable option one can take. Obviously, it's not meant for most people in this city. Your not gonna find everyone ditching their cars to ride bikes, of course. But if your active, love taking in your surroundings and don't carry a time-consuming schedule. Then it is an option.

Obviously if your living in the Tarzana, and have to get to Downtown to work. Then for very few people this will work. I know it wouldn't for me. But it may for the next man.
But say you lived in Silverlake/Hollywood and worked in Downtown as an Accountant. This is not that big of a distance if you think about it. We're always going so slow on the 101 or 405 that it just seems like it is.

You'd be suprised too. Alot of us younger folks are switching. We're trying to find ways to save money.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,992,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
she is ONE person, who was able to do what she needed to make life without a car possible and workable for HER. you are one more. throw in your buddy on this forum, and i'll give you a half-dozen more for good measure, and still i say: so what? i still think it is wrong of you to mislead readers by overemphasizing your atypical "car-free in LA" lifestyle, and ignoring the millions of other angelenos who could not "adjust" to living without our cars, either practically or psychologically, and wouldn't even try unless we were going blind and could afford to move near the 3rd street promenade! for someone who has no experience of LA, listening to you on this issue is like someone who has never flown a commercial airline listening to a three-and-a-half foot dwarf claiming that there's plenty of leg-room in coach!
You really need to take this up with the author. Her name is Carolyn See.

And I believe the term is 'car-optional.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles