U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 89,294 times
Arrow Do U Need A Car Living In Los Angeles

Hi im planning on moving to LA after the summer and i was wondering if u need a car to live their.im planning on getting a job as a bartender but i have no experience but if i have to i can get a job in sales which ive been doing for the past few years.

any other info on moving their would be appriceated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM

11,728 posts, read 23,683,519 times
How close to work will you be living? LA is a big place and you can't always live super close to work. Asking if you need a car in LA is like asking if you need a plane to get to France. Technically, the answer is no, but practically, its yes.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,826,635 times
I would imagine you would want a car if you are working in sales. That's assuming you'd be travelling to see various clients.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM

6,155 posts, read 11,417,512 times
Is it doable? yes. would it be difficult? very! i know people who commute to work via bus everyday, and although they prefer it to driving (for multiple reasons), they still have cars at home for trips out of town and to the grocery store. if you really don't want your own car though, you can always rent a car for days when you really need one for about $25 or so. some neighborhoods even have shared rental cars that you pay for by the hour.

i personally don't have a car, but my wife does. i actually have a vespa as my main means of transportation. its great and saves me a ton of money and time. also, because of the great weather, im rarely forced to bus to work on rainy days. even if i wasn't married, i'd probably still have no car. the amount i save on gas and parking every month easily exceed the the amount it would cost for a rental car when absolutely needed.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,097,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover0000 View Post
Hi im planning on moving to LA after the summer and i was wondering if u need a car to live [there]
There are other C-D threads on this exact subject, so I won't repeat myself here, except to say: no you don't need a car in L.A. If you set yourself up correctly, not owning a car may even make your life easier. Underscore: if you set yourself up correctly -- i.e. live close to your daily services/destinations, transit lines, flex-car locations and bike networks. Do your grocery shopping online. Some suburbs will work, but stay away from the exurbs. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,346,248 times
I would NEVER recommend anyone live in L.A. without a car. You really need to read the endless posts on the subject.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM

2,105 posts, read 5,392,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I would NEVER recommend anyone live in L.A. without a car. You really need to read the endless posts on the subject.
and when you do, pay little attention to those who make it sound as if living here without a car is a breeze. it's possible for a handful of folks, but far from ideal for most, and the vast majority wouldn't even consider it. who wants to move into a situation that isn't as comfortable as possible, from the get-go?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM

12 posts, read 48,708 times
It really depends on how and where you live. I live without a car here, and just rent whenever I need one. If you don't have kids or special needs, it's doable and worth it, from all of the gas you save. The $4.00-and-rising/gallon gas prices make the bus more worthwile. The only thing I would recommend is studying the metro bus maps (available at mta.net) before looking for a place, to ensure that you can live near an area with good bus coverage (ideally you want to live near streets covered by the RAPID routes, as these are the areas that tend to have better and faster bus service).

Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM

659 posts, read 2,525,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How close to work will you be living? LA is a big place and you can't always live super close to work. Asking if you need a car in LA is like asking if you need a plane to get to France. Technically, the answer is no, but practically, its yes.
Exactly. It's like...can you live in the desert without air conditioning? (Sorry if that's a wacky analogy!) Sure you can. Would it be practical? No. Would you hate it? Probably. Would it be an inconvenience? No question. LA, in terms of public transpotation or layout, is not like Chicago and New York like some people assume.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,611,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover0000 View Post
Hi im planning on moving to LA after the summer and i was wondering if u need a car to live their.im planning on getting a job as a bartender but i have no experience but if i have to i can get a job in sales which ive been doing for the past few years.

any other info on moving their would be appriceated
Yes, you will need a car. LA is really spread out and you will need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles