Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 PM

106 posts, read 390,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well that figures then. I presume the use tax is a way for the state to discourage residents from buying cars out of state to avoid paying California sales tax.

Why don't you just buy it and register it at your current residence, and then reregister in California after the 90 days have passed? Do remember to insure it too.
I believe that is indeed illegal. I think all cars must be registered within 10 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
I believe that is indeed illegal. I think all cars must be registered within 10 days.
Well, yeah, okay. But within 10 days of what? What if you have two residences? You're not going to have to register your car in both states, so if it's already registered at your other home I would think you can forget about it until such time as you decide to become a resident of just one state.

Let's say it's registered at mom and dad's home and you head out to California to take temporary employment. Let's say that after a month you decide to make your temporary residence permanent and your temporary job permanent, so you apply for a CA drivers license and register your car in CA. You satisfied the law because you registered your car as soon as you decided to become a permanent resident of this state.

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say if this is legitimate, but I don't see how they could prove otherwise and force you to pay use tax.

Also, I see plenty of cars with out-of-state license plates, particularly OR, NV and AZ. Some I've seen around my neighbors houses for years. It's obvious they have their cars registered out of state to avoid CA's registration fees. It must be working for them.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, okay. But within 10 days of what? What if you have two residences? You're not going to have to register your car in both states, so if it's already registered at your other home I would think you can forget about it until such time as you decide to become a resident of just one state.

Let's say it's registered at mom and dad's home and you head out to California to take temporary employment. Let's say that after a month you decide to make your temporary residence permanent and your temporary job permanent, so you apply for a CA drivers license and register your car in CA. You satisfied the law because you registered your car as soon as you decided to become a permanent resident of this state.

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say if this is legitimate, but I don't see how they could prove otherwise and force you to pay use tax.

Also, I see plenty of cars with out-of-state license plates, particularly OR, NV and AZ. Some I've seen around my neighbors houses for years. It's obvious they have their cars registered out of state to avoid CA's registration fees. It must be working for them.
Thanks! I will look into this.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Actually I've been thinking of moving to AZ or NM and I figured I'd just move and not bother with the car until my CA registration expires. Why pay for two at the same time?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,382 times
Quote:

I'd agree with this post. While its probably not 'legal' I cant see how/why anyone would ever do anything about it. Our neighbors have a car that is registered in Oregon and they have had that car since we moved in (2000) and its definitely driven in California every day, and I doubt they've ever been approached about it!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,382 times
Renting a room in Malibu - here are some:

classifieds - craigslist

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I'd agree with this post. While its probably not 'legal' I cant see how/why anyone would ever do anything about it. Our neighbors have a car that is registered in Oregon and they have had that car since we moved in (2000) and its definitely driven in California every day, and I doubt they've ever been approached about it!
Oh yeah, for sure, and doing what I suggested is clearly avoidance of the law. It falls into that category of "not illegal unless I get caught" although that category has no legal standing. In terms of practicality it's unlikely that such a case would ever be pursued, particularly considering expense of prosecuting such a case.

How can you prove what is in somebody's mind? And how can two states simultaneously demand the right to tax and license the same car? It comes down to splitting hairs when the hairs are too thin to split.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Does anyone know what highway 27 in to the valley is like during rush hour/morning?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
Does anyone know what highway 27 in to the valley is like during rush hour/morning?
Highway 27, or as we locals like to call it - Topanga Canyon Blvd is probably not too congested coming into the valley in the AM. Dont know if anyone here actually drives this route in the mornings but Im curious as well.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 PM

Well I have successfully moved in, I have an amazing job, amazing pad, and amazing car. I am loving LA so far. I know people here complain about crime/urban filth, but I have been through parts near compton and some of the worse parts of Hollywood and it isnt really all that bad to some of the stuff I would see back home (there are more homeless though)!

Here are some pics of the place:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles