Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

1) gad, no, LA is not a dump. and if you can't live in Brentwood then you better not be a pantywaist. with a tablespoon of courage you will find that some of these "horrible" places that everyone on here is moaning about are actually where alot of LA's vibrancy comes from.

2) ITS THE LOWEST CRIME RATE SINCE THE FIFTIES. don't believe the hype. they use it to sell stuff on tee-vee. television is not reality. you aren't gonna get shot when sunset turns into cesar chavez.
FYI:

1) The poster you were responding to actually lives in Brentwood, CA....a town in No. California about half way between Stockton and the San Francisco Bay. Totally understand how you got the two confused....I did the same at first.

2) Very true and that is something VERY positive to hold on to in the midst of these tough economic times!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think either address the size of school districts.

Brown TRIED to take over the Oakland schools when he was mayor and unfortunately was blocked. I'll give him props for that. Unfortunately he couldn't abolish the board of education. Oakland Unified despite being smaller than LAUSD has the same problems. He did encourage more magnets and charters, but his education plan is vague.

Whitman's education plan is also vague, but IMO her ideas on education are better than Brown's (nobody expected me to say that, did they?). No cap on charters, less money for administrative expenses, and grading schools themselves are all good ideas.

However - do I think either one could actually get anything enacted? Due to the initiative process and the dysfunctional Legislature there'd be major hurdles. Brown might have a little more success due to his iconic stature, while I sense Whitman will be constantly at war with the Legislature. Even more than Arnold, more like on a Gray Davis type level. But even in Brown's case I'm skeptical of much being done. Whitman might be SLIGHTLY more likely to take action to do something about dysfunctional school districts, but I doubt she'd actually get it done. I don't think California will have a real recovery in many things until there's a new state constitution, not just economic recovery but meaningful educational reform as well.
So you are telling me there is no hope! LOL....thanks for the response just the same!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
LA...a dump? I've visited Los Angeles twice in the past 2 years,and when compared to various East Coast cities, the answer is an emphatic NO.

Take a trip to North Philly, or much of the city of Baltimore. You will see LA in an entirely different light.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
IMO the only solution to improving the public education system is to break up large school districts and return control to the public. Unfortunately bigger school districts favor politicians who want to acquire and assert power. The bigger the district the more the power.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
IMO the only solution to improving the public education system is to break up large school districts and return control to the public.
We usually disagree more than agree but I'm completely in agreement with you on this one!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
IMO the only solution to improving the public education system is to break up large school districts and return control to the public. Unfortunately bigger school districts favor politicians who want to acquire and assert power. The bigger the district the more the power.
Yep, LA's public schools are a prime example of what happens when public schools take on a corporate power and funding structure. It really is amazing how dismal the state of LA Unified really is...

Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
Parts of it are a dump, like South Central, Boyle Heights, Van Nuys, North Hollywood, and Pacoima. But the whole city? That would mean Bel Air, Brentwood, Westwood, Palisades, and Hollywood Hills, very upscale areas, are a dump as well, which is ridiculous.
And honestlye what percent of the population of Los Angeles County lives in Bel Air, Brentwood, Westwood, Palisades, and Hollywood Hills???

The population of Beverly Hills in 2009 was 34,318
Population of Los Angeles County 9.8 million (2008)

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Just noting I'm glad to agree with Majoun and 415_s2k (what kind of proper name is that? I don't even know what to capitalize!).

Our government is out of control, growing like cancer, and the school districts soak up amazing quantities of money and government and taxpayer resources. And what's even worse, here in California doing an exceedingly poor job. So bad that IMO we should fire all the teachers and particularly all the administrators, and start over.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Just noting I'm glad to agree with Majoun and 415_s2k (what kind of proper name is that? I don't even know what to capitalize!).
415 = San Francisco's area code; s2k = S2000, the sort of car I drive

Quote:
Our government is out of control, growing like cancer, and the school districts soak up amazing quantities of money and government and taxpayer resources.
See, I for one, would be mostly-okay with the schools soaking up taxpayer dollars if the kids got a god-damned education. If they had textbooks that weren't 20 years old and held together with tape; curriculums that made sense; enough teachers so that they could actually put a name to the face of a student whose papers they grade every day.

Do what they did at my school back in Cambridge, MA: appreciate that kids are people, and people are different. By the time you got to high school, it was generally fairly obvious where the kid's strengths and weaknesses were. If a kid was 14 and still couldn't do algebra, stop failing the poor kid because he can't figure trig out and let him focus on topics that he's got an aptitude for - he'll obviously never apply to MIT to study string theory!

Again, it's the cookie-cutter, public-ordinance-run-like-a-private-sector-for-profit-enterprise method of school administration that has turned large swaths of our nation's children - as well as people who are now adults in their twenties and even thirties - into uninquisitive underachievers who don't understand why you're not supposed to use netspeak when typing out a resume (keep in mind when I say this, I'm 26 myself...).

Quote:
And what's even worse, here in California doing an exceedingly poor job. So bad that IMO we should fire all the teachers and particularly all the administrators, and start over.
At the very least, the administrators and superintendents need to be canned.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-17-2010 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yep, LA's public schools are a prime example of what happens when public schools take on a corporate power and funding structure. It really is amazing how dismal the state of LA Unified really is...
I honestly can't believe I went to LAUSD. What an embarrassment looking back on it. I read online that jefferson high had a 58% dropout rate! Any school that has more than a 30 or 35% dropout rate should simply be closed.

I don't think a billionaire (whitman) is really interested in school reform. Has a billionaire ever done anything for public schools while in office? Its hard to see them on the side of the average student (esp in california).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles