Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,077 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone..Im New to this City-Data thing. I am looking for a place to throw a Hip-Hop show. I am trying to bring the Hip-Hop underground scene back to LOS ANGLES, because we are way behind. Im also looking for new friends so juss hit me up..

peace,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Try the Lula Washington Dance studio or there is a place on Pico near LaBrea. There are also several places on Crenshaw near Leimert Park you might want to check out as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM

49 posts, read 200,444 times
Hey...whats goin on Jay90. Always good to meet some heads into real hip hop culture. The underground scene here is still going strong. It just tends to get overshadowed by everything else goin on in Hollywood.

Check out LAHipHopCalendar.com or RehabLA.com. I'm sure you can build some contacts or get some info from people in the mix off of those sites.

Like CESpeed mentioned. Leimert Park is or was..pretty much the epic-center for the underground hip hop scene. Project Blowed is located there. Not sure if it still exists or is going strong. The Basement in Sherman Oaks I believe is still open for business.

Try hitting up a show. Maybe you could get into talking with some promoters or friendly faces. If you want to keep it with a cheap rental tag for a night. Try checking out random restaurants scattered throughout the los angeles area.
The good thing about any Hip Hop scene. No one tends to care where it's located. As long as they have alcohol, an open dancefloor to b-boy on, and some good records and mc's.

Oh yea..Check out my friends...THE METAMORPHS.
Peace!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
I've never been tempted to check out Project Blowed...I heard its not the same as the Pharcyde, J5, Freestyle Fellowship days.

I'm not a big fan of what is considered underground hip hop these days..nothing like what was coming out of LA and NY in the 90s..

But I just saw Pete Rock about a month ago at LAX. That was cool..I wanted to go see Pete Rock battle Premo at Crash Mansion the other weekend, but being stabbed in the face kinda dashed those plans for me.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Ahhh man..that would of been cool to see. Pete Rock and Primo.
I haven't been to a hip hop show for like 4 years. But shows like that make me want to go out.

But I agree with you AMC. it's nothing like Gangstarr and Black Sheep days. The hip hop scene is very selective pickings now. I'm rarely blown away by any albums. And as much as I hate to say it. It is dead. I hope it doesn't continue to go on like Punk Rock. When kids are still picking up an old Ramones or Dead Kennedys album for inspiration, just like I did in the mid 90's. I think its pretty much for dead.

IMO. Alot of original hip hop still came out up until around 2001-2002. But it eventually killed itself. The reason is because the whole culture of hip hop basically fragmented sometime around the early 2000's. Underground hip hop was basically another market in the mainstream by that point.

All the aspects of the culture went seperate ways.
Dj/Turntablism - became its own art form. no longer needed an mc.
MC - lack of style. to much emphasis on what sells, instead of creativity.
B-boying - I think most b-boys found themselves listening to roots of hip hop. The breaks. old james brown, incredible bongo band stuff.
Popping- Never really was hip hop culture. Form of dance to Funk.
Graffiti - Existed before hip hop. More in common with skateboard culture nowadays.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
Ahhh man..that would of been cool to see. Pete Rock and Primo.
I haven't been to a hip hop show for like 4 years. But shows like that make me want to go out.

But I agree with you AMC. it's nothing like Gangstarr and Black Sheep days. The hip hop scene is very selective pickings now. I'm rarely blown away by any albums. And as much as I hate to say it. It is dead. I hope it doesn't continue to go on like Punk Rock. When kids are still picking up an old Ramones or Dead Kennedys album for inspiration, just like I did in the mid 90's. I think its pretty much for dead.

IMO. Alot of original hip hop still came out up until around 2001-2002. But it eventually killed itself. The reason is because the whole culture of hip hop basically fragmented sometime around the early 2000's. Underground hip hop was basically another market in the mainstream by that point.

All the aspects of the culture went seperate ways.
Dj/Turntablism - became its own art form. no longer needed an mc.
MC - lack of style. to much emphasis on what sells, instead of creativity.
B-boying - I think most b-boys found themselves listening to roots of hip hop. The breaks. old james brown, incredible bongo band stuff.
Popping- Never really was hip hop culture. Form of dance to Funk.
Graffiti - Existed before hip hop. More in common with skateboard culture nowadays.
I think what really killed hip hop was infiltration by the hipsters, haha.
too many people trying to lecture on what is "real hip hop" when a few months before they didn't even know who KRS ONE was.

btw, i just saw the lineup for the next rock the bells.

a tribe called quest is headlining again. and what really blew my mind was that Pharcyde is performing?? all original member! I hope they play the classic stuff

Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Yea. Hipsters are Music Nazi's to me. The best way to **** them off is by completely putting down their "new favorite eccentric band you've never heard of". Chances are you have no idea who that band is. But just tell them they're horrible and coudn't even go 10 secs into the album. Watch them explode in a fit of anger. haha

I usually don't head out to huge festivals. But i'm pretty damn impressed at the lineup for Rock The Bells this year. Pharcyde, Nas, Tribe and Rakim are worth the pricetag alone. I'm thinking about going this year.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM

I guess a term for releasing your urine is a bad word

Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 PM

39 posts, read 459,145 times
Ahhhh!! Pete Rock + Primo = Hip hop heaven, Pharcyde + Nas +Tribe + Rakim = Eternal hip hop happiness!

If I could go and see them all play live I think I would walk and swim all the way to LA, and that's saying something scene as I live in England!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles