Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 AM

39 posts, read 459,144 times

Advertisements

this is a good photo thread displaying various areas of Los Angeles.

ColDay Presents: Los Angeles Parte Uno - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 PM

64 posts, read 133,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
It's pretty funny. The "bad parts" of LA that many people mention (like Receda, Pacoima, etc.) don't look that horrible. You should see what we call a ghetto here in the Northeast. Now those look really bad.
Agreed. I've seen some places in the East and Midwest that make South Central look like paradise.

Last edited by ModelChick; 04-29-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelChick View Post
Agreed. I've seen some places in the East and Midwest that make South Central look like paradise.
That's exactly what I said when I took the rail through south central. The areas that everyone warned me about look very nice compared to ghettos in Milwaukee, Chicago, and St Louis.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
That's exactly what I said when I took the rail through south central. The areas that everyone warned me about look very nice compared to ghettos in Milwaukee, Chicago, and St Louis.
You could be standing in the middle of Disneyland, and it'd still be pretty sucky to catch a bullet in the head.

As people explain frequently here, looks can be deceiving in California. Instead of neighborhoods that have been ghettos for many many decades in the south and east, ghettos in Los Angeles were only ghettos since the mid 20th century, if that.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:04 AM

22 posts, read 78,986 times
Quote:
It's pretty funny. The "bad parts" of LA that many people mention (like Receda, Pacoima, etc.) don't look that horrible. You should see what we call a ghetto here in the Northeast. Now those look really bad.
So not true. I've driven through ghettos in Los Angeles that look just as nasty as the ones I have seen in Chicago, NJ, NYC, Boston and Philadelphia. And it's appalling since cities on the east coast are MUCH older than Los Angeles and LA at it's age already has ghettos that look just as decrepit and grodd as old eastern and midwestern cities.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCA1200 View Post
So not true. I've driven through ghettos in Los Angeles that look just as nasty as the ones I have seen in Chicago, NJ, NYC, Boston and Philadelphia. And it's appalling since cities on the east coast are MUCH older than Los Angeles and LA at it's age already has ghettos that look just as decrepit and grodd as old eastern and midwestern cities.

IDK, maybe the warm weather and the palm trees give them more appeal than an east coast ghetto.

On a more serious note, I'm hoping that gentrification (on a NYC level) occurs in LA as well. SoCal has the best weather in the country! No other state has the mediterranean weather you guys enjoy. LA is worth fighting for!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You could be standing in the middle of Disneyland, and it'd still be pretty sucky to catch a bullet in the head.

As people explain frequently here, looks can be deceiving in California. Instead of neighborhoods that have been ghettos for many many decades in the south and east, ghettos in Los Angeles were only ghettos since the mid 20th century, if that.
Yea, definitely not arguing about it being dangerous, but as far as looks I mean, it's not nearly as bad. Like Busch Boy said, the warm weather, sun, and palm trees kind of change it. That's one reason why it's so important to research your area if you're looking to move there.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM

22 posts, read 78,986 times
Quote:
IDK, maybe the warm weather and the palm trees give them more appeal than an east coast ghetto.

On a more serious note, I'm hoping that gentrification (on a NYC level) occurs in LA as well. SoCal has the best weather in the country! No other state has the mediterranean weather you guys enjoy. LA is worth fighting for!
That I agree on. LA ghettos may look more pleasant because they're so bright and sunny compared to the dark and gloomy ghettos in the Midwest and the east.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 AM

190 posts, read 443,390 times
Quote:

I agree and I think that, for better or for worse, that level of gentrification is starting to occur this decade. Of course the critics are right- it just displaces much of the urban plight. The gangs are moving into suburbs and rural areas, and in some cases, to the east coast. Maybe when the country does something about its terrible public schools, gangs will become less of an issue.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,159 times
Yeah it's hard for me to tell around here whats the ghetto.. hubby has to tell me .. it all looks the same to me .. I grew up in TX and believe me you cuold tell where the ghetto was..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles