Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
WOW thanks for the heads up. Yours truly Push will be making my way to LA end of next month....I assume it will be much hotter then
no, don't assume that. may and june are sort of unpredictable, weather-wise. some days are warm, possible even hot, but there is also a good chance of low clouds that don't lift to let the sunshine through until late afternoon, if at all, so those days can be quite cool (low to mid 60s). we call this weather phenomenon "may gray" and "june gloom." you can, however, count on july through mid-to-late october to be HOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its 98 degrees with 5% humidity and I'm only 4 miles from the beach. This is nuts. My lawn needs to be mowed but screw it in this heat.
My lawn just died about five minutes ago.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM

399 posts, read 554,304 times
Wow! Here in Southern Arizona (Where it constantly gets above 105 regularly) The temperatures have not reached 90! Yet in Southern California the weather is far more warmer!! Interesting, understandable this is the perfect time to go swimming in the cool pacific ocean waters!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,739 times
And get bitten by a shark? No thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 AM

190 posts, read 443,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
And get bitten by a shark? No thanks.
If you don't go swimming 100+ yards offshore in a wetsuit (mr. sharkie will think you're a nice yummy seal) at dawn or dusk, you should be fine. I've swam in the ocean in southern California dozens of times, and have yet to be bitten by a shark, OR pinched by a damn crab, which happens nearly every time I swim on the NJ shore.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
If you don't go swimming 100+ yards offshore in a wetsuit (mr. sharkie will think you're a nice yummy seal) at dawn or dusk, you should be fine. I've swam in the ocean in southern California dozens of times, and have yet to be bitten by a shark, OR pinched by a damn crab, which happens nearly every time I swim on the NJ shore.
I would regularly lap swim 6000 yards a week. Sharks never made me nervous. Rip tides (rip currents) made me a little nervous when the waves were breaking over four feet (which is a pretty big wave). Even though I know to swim parallel to the beach to escape them, there is something spooky about the current dragging you 200-300 yards out. Seems to happen when the surf is pretty big, like greater than three or four foot waves.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Another weekend when its cooler in the Central Valley than in Southern California. Climate change anyone?

Yesterday's highs:
Anaheim 100
Los Angeles 94
Fresno 85

Today's forecast highs:
Anaheim 97
Los Angeles 97
Fresno 90
O wow...here in NY is 45 degrees and raining

Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Another hot day coming up but the weather will change radically for a few days. A storm system moving into PacificNW will shift the wind to strongly onshore w/ cool temps [could be in the 60's by Wednesday. Will get hot again next weekend.

I've regularly swam the Pacific since childhood & have never seen sharks. Schools of dolphins & some sort of flying fish swim right up next to the boats on the way to Catalina Is There use to be lots of sting rays around Seal Beach & saw the painful blisters on other swimmers [really freaked my brother since he was swimming near the kid who got stung

Hope the Sierra Madre fire is contained soon.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
THIS hot weather is great for sitting around on a sunday afternoon. enjoying the shade with a cold beer of course. soon enough the kids bug that they want to go to the pool or the beach or wherever... my solution, the water hose and some balloons. who really wants to drive in the heat anyways.

i cant imagine having to work in the sun during this weather.

im glad i got the job i do.

also everyone stay hydrated, they say this heat is gunna last. makes me look forward to the june gloom we get. too bad for the humidity tho. make sure to eat lots of fruit also. beat the heat! beat the heat!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
O wow...here in NY is 45 degrees and raining
Which weather would you rather have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles