Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator_db View Post
good post..what abt if u have out of state driver license?...do u still have to give written/audio and driving test...or just written test?
It says just the written on the website. I have a WI license so I'm in the same boat that you are. Only those from out of country need to take the road test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
It is for the test that we need one. However, MOST just require it by the time you start. Actually, this is the only one that I've actually seen where you need it to apply.

I also only need a regular drivers license, not a CDL. I think it's class C in CA? Mine in WI is class D.
I suggest you contact the fire department in the jurisdiction that you want to work and ask them how they handle that, and ask for advice. Also, the police have unions etc. to help them in their dealings with the city/county, so perhaps the fire departments do too. I suggest you Google that for the jurisdiction of your choice and ask their advice.

In my posts "CDL" stands for "California Drivers License." I'm not aware of the FD requirements although you will probably require a heavier license class if you expect to drive the big rigs.

You should attempt to contact people who actually work for the FD of your choice. If you find nothing better, just come on out and visit a few fire stations and ask the guys there. I expect your future colleagues would be more than happy to help you get a job.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I suggest you contact the fire department in the jurisdiction that you want to work and ask them how they handle that, and ask for advice. Also, the police have unions etc. to help them in their dealings with the city/county, so perhaps the fire departments do too. I suggest you Google that for the jurisdiction of your choice and ask their advice.

In my posts "CDL" stands for "California Drivers License." I'm not aware of the FD requirements although you will probably require a heavier license class if you expect to drive the big rigs.

You should attempt to contact people who actually work for the FD of your choice. If you find nothing better, just come on out and visit a few fire stations and ask the guys there. I expect your future colleagues would be more than happy to help you get a job.
Thanks. I already visited LA City stations and just found out that LA County does ride-alongs. I recently got a job with an airline so I can actually afford to fly out there.

You actually don't need any special licenses here in WI to drive anything. I drive an ambulance to emergencies already. I know you need a special license for that in CA. Even then engines and trucks in WI don't require a special license, but they do require a certain class which is about 60 hours long. However, that class doesn't focus on much driving, its more the mathmatical aspect of pumping the water.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Well come on out then! I'd like to think that I speak for other Californians when I say that we're more than happy to have people with careers move here. We can always use another firefighter, or perhaps an engineer like me, actors (why not as long as they're working), practically any real career. We don't need any more day laborers, no more hamburger flippers, no more lawnmower drivers.

I welcome anybody who is going to contribute more to LA than they take away.

Good luck on getting that LA firefighter job!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well come on out then! I'd like to think that I speak for other Californians when I say that we're more than happy to have people with careers move here. We can always use another firefighter, or perhaps an engineer like me, actors (why not as long as they're working), practically any real career. We don't need any more day laborers, no more hamburger flippers, no more lawnmower drivers.

I welcome anybody who is going to contribute more to LA than they take away.

Good luck on getting that LA firefighter job!
Well great, if firefighting doesn't work out you just basically told me not to come and accomplish one of my other dreams like becoming a McDonalds cook. haha

Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
contribute more to LA than take away? isnt that for another forum?

anyhow its great and all that FFkinght wants to be a firefighter here, but the reality is that enough people (my bro included) are trying to be firefighters. LA and Cali have enough people to fill all the jobs we have. but fromm FF knights previous posts he seems like a decent guy (he's even defended LA!!!), so i welcome him, even tho he just might take my brothers spot. we need the best of the best.

i welcome anyone who is willing to work and work hard... assuming they "take" more than they offer is a pretty simplistic outlook. i dont know what individuals contribute or dont. but i digress that should be saved for another thread...

FFknight, hopefully everything works out for you. i know its a long process. the academy connections help, but it still takes for ever. good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
contribute more to LA than take away? isnt that for another forum?

anyhow its great and all that FFkinght wants to be a firefighter here, but the reality is that enough people (my bro included) are trying to be firefighters. LA and Cali have enough people to fill all the jobs we have. but fromm FF knights previous posts he seems like a decent guy (he's even defended LA!!!), so i welcome him, even tho he just might take my brothers spot. we need the best of the best.

i welcome anyone who is willing to work and work hard... assuming they "take" more than they offer is a pretty simplistic outlook. i dont know what individuals contribute or dont. but i digress that should be saved for another thread...

FFknight, hopefully everything works out for you. i know its a long process. the academy connections help, but it still takes for ever. good luck.
Thanks for the nice comment. Even though LA, would be my top choice to work in as a firefighter, that's not the only reason. It's one of the most difficult jobs to get. Most places test about once every two years. So you HAVE to be willing to relocate. One of my teachers who was a retired Captain said it took him 22 tries to get hired. That's not uncommon at all. Last time LA did a normal test in 2004(now they test continuously for a few years), there were about 34,000 applicants from what I hear. Chicago tested in 2006 for the first time since 1996. People randomly got cut from the process because of all of the applicants. Even small cities the have tons of requirements have hundreds of applicants every test. I've basically given up my social life just to have a shot at the job. haha

Thanks again though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles