U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,681,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you NEED to be a CA resident to get a drivers license? A chief from Huntington Beach Fire Department said that he did not think so. He wants me to get one for something even though I don't live out there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,028,440 times
Everything you ever needed to know about a driver's license in California should be here:

Information For Persons New To California

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks, I found that site earlier, but it still doesn't answer my question. If I'm just visiting, it says that I don't need one. However, I will need one before I even get offered a job.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,671 posts, read 14,091,800 times
I don't see what the problem is. If you're looking for a job then you must intend on establishing a residence here. Rent an apartment, go over to DMV and take the test and get your CA license, then get your job. All you really need is an official address and proof of identity.

I think the biggest obstacle to getting good answers to questions posted on forums is that the OP doesn't provide sufficient information for people to give good answers. Perhaps if you explain your problem more fully you might have better luck in getting a good and complete answer.

As far as I understand the situation you must have a California residence address to get a CA drivers license. There is no reason to grant visitors licenses because they are allowed to drive using the license issued by the state they are visiting from. Also, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, I believe most states intend that you surrender your old out-of-state drivers license at the time that a new in-state license is issued to you.

So give more details if your question has not been fully answered.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 736,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Does anyone know if you NEED to be a CA resident to get a drivers license?
I asked somebody who hangs around MacArthur Park and he says no.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I asked somebody who hangs around MacArthur Park and he says no.
Thanks.

Lovehound... I can't afford to move out there and pay rent to possibly not get a job offer. Firefighter positions are different than other jobs. If you are in a certain field and want to move to a city, there are most likely a few places in the city with the job that you want. Fire departments usually hire about once every two years. When starting a testing process(which usually takes about a year), you are competing with hundreds, or even thousands of people. Last time LAFD ran a hiring process in 2004(not counting the continuous processes that they are running now), there were about 34,000 applicants. I've applied to plenty of cities that I don't even want to work in just because it's that difficult to get the job. One guy a know who is a retired Captain, said it took him 22 tries to get hired.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,671 posts, read 14,091,800 times
That better explains the situation. It's not clear that you need a CA drivers license just to apply for the job although of course you'll need one before you're hired. Perhaps you can elaborate, is it (1) required to have CDL to apply for the job, or (2) required to be eligible to obtain a CDL and required to actually get one only upon being hired? If the latter, I don't see any problem getting one when you move out here to start your job. You could get CDL in one day no problem as long as you have proper ID and pass the test.

If you really want that firefighter job you should consider moving here and taking some other temporary job until you can get on the department. Also, check and see if you can get some seasonal work. We're just starting our fire season and I suspect they hire on temporary workers during the summer and fall.

In theory you could get a mailing address here, perhaps a friend's address, but I'll be surprised if you don't have to sign an oath on the CDL application that all the information is true, and I believe you'd be lying about your residence address. This would not look good at all if it came out during your fire department hiring process.

Also, as far as I understand the process of getting a driver's license in a different state, one generally surrenders the license in the state they came from to get the new license in the state they're moving to. If true it might be hard to avoid this since I'm fairly sure each state checks your driving record for your previous drivers license.

Anyway good luck on getting that firefighter job. For anybody who would like that type of work it's a great job, very secure (at least at LAFD), good wages, and probably very rewarding saving lives and serving the public. It'll be a great career if you make it.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,555,626 times
are you sure the requirement isn't that you must have a CA driver's license before you START the job, as opposed to needing one in order to be HIRED? if the former is the case, why would the LAFD recruit anyone from out-of-state? it would be a silly requirement, considering that no candidate will move here until he is offered the job, unless he were planning to move here in any case.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help both of you.

It is for the test that we need one. However, MOST just require it by the time you start. Actually, this is the only one that I've actually seen where you need it to apply.

I also only need a regular drivers license, not a CDL. I think it's class C in CA? Mine in WI is class D.

I'm actually considering doing some wildland work during fire season in 2009. I want to finish my degree(Dec 08) before I commit to moving anywhere.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM

19 posts, read 100,655 times
good post..what abt if u have out of state driver license?...do u still have to give written/audio and driving test...or just written test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles