Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 AM

6 posts, read 22,876 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This is pretty complicated.

I am a 19 year old male from a small town of 14,000 people in the mountains of Northeast New York. To some it is paradise but for me it was always hell - I prefer urban areas that are warm year round. I've struggled with OCD but managed to get out of high school with a 3.9 gpa. Got into Loyola College in Maryland (Baltimore) and got awesome financial aid but dropped out after a month because I didn't want to take the classes or do the work. I went back to my hick town in New York, got a part-time job and attended a community college for a semester. Then I realized I couldn't stand it and moved in with my grandparents (grandpa is remarried) in Glendale, AZ in July of '07. My original plan was to live with them until I got my 2 year degree and establish residency and continue at an Arizona state school. I did well my first semester but things have progressively gotten worse - my grandfather is a disgruntled alcoholic that talks about how his death is around the corner everyday. My stepgrandmother (I guess you would call her) is a good person but argues constantly with my grandfather (somehow their marriage works). I am not a confrontational person, but they have their problems and I have my problems and the last thing we need is to be living together. Additionally, I am bored with school and am currently just scraping by. I want to take a break and work for a little while and support myself. I recently went to LA for the first time - it was awesome - so much more interesting than Phoenix. It also felt safer and looked cleaner than I had imagined. However, I am familiar with Phoenix and have met a lot of good people here, and I know it is a lot cheaper and safer than most of LA. Considering that I will be working full time and renting, what do you think: Phoenix or LA? I'm not worried about fitting in there - I have many good friends from SoCal.

Also I think I'd like to live in West LA (El Segundo, Culver City) or somewhere in Ventura County if I can afford it - any comments?

Thank-you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinaz View Post
I've struggled with OCD but managed to get out of high school with a 3.9 gpa. .....
dropped out after a month because I didn't want to take the classes or do the work. ....
moved in with my grandparents .....
I am bored with school and am currently just scraping by. I want to take a break and work for a little while and support myself......
I know [PHX] is a lot cheaper ...than most of LA.

Considering that I will be working full time and renting, what do you think: Phoenix or LA?

All other things being equal, Phoenix because it is cheaper.

You could (should?) move out from the dysfunctional living arrangement with grandpa.

Socal especially (but any place really) is hard to work and go to school.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM

167 posts, read 453,266 times
My opinion?

I have lived in Arizona for 15 years and miss California. I lived in the Los Angeles area for 27 years and I would chose Los Angeles over Phoenix any day. If you live near the coast areas, jobs are plentifiul. I don't know what kind of work you do. South Torrance, Seal Beach, come to mind. But, all towns along the ocean are nice. Rents are pricey though but you can always rent a room and bath. Good Luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 42,572 times
Hmmm...no 4 year degree, no job prospects, you don't know anyone that lives here. Sounds like you should stay where you are and save some money before you move to one of the highest cost of living areas in the country.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orythedog View Post
Hmmm...no 4 year degree, no job prospects, you don't know anyone that lives here. Sounds like you should stay where you are and save some money before you move to one of the highest cost of living areas in the country.
uh huh! stay where you are, for now. if you come here, the first thing you will realize is that you should have finished school if you hope to have any decent job prospects. suck it up, and become marketable before you think about moving here. even if that doesn't mean completing your university education, learn to DO SOMETHING for which you can be paid an adequate wage. you'll make your grandparents proud, and better prepare yourself for life as an independent adult.

btw, none of this is really complicated. it only seems that way because you are 19. you'll be all right.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times
OR....find a roommate through one of your contacts...work your butt off at a restaurant or temping or something else during the day and take evening classes until you get your degree all while trying to network with people at all times to help you figure out what you want to do professionally. There is nothing IMO more motivating than living in a hellish situation to make you bust your *%$ and make it happen on your own. You don't need a college degree to make money.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 AM

Hey guys thanks for the advice so far! You are all so lucky, continue to enjoy life, too bad that I can't. But it's ok - resist bitterness and be happy! California - 36,132,142 people can't be wrong. Then again, Arizona - 5,939,292 people can't be wrong. Or could they? No. No matter what I decide, I will overcome, I will succeed!

Last edited by jzinaz; 04-30-2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
L.A does offer a greater variety of things to see and do compared to Phoenix, and their is also a much wider range of Job Opportunities in L.A as well,but if your unable to afford to live in L.A,then you should just remain in Phoenix.

But if your really determined to live in L.A or in Southern CA,then you should work your way up to get a good job there,so you can live comfortably in a safe and nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinaz View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is pretty complicated.

I am a 19 year old male from a small town of 14,000 people in the mountains of Northeast New York. To some it is paradise but for me it was always hell - I prefer urban areas that are warm year round. I've struggled with OCD but managed to get out of high school with a 3.9 gpa. Got into Loyola College in Maryland (Baltimore) and got awesome financial aid but dropped out after a month because I didn't want to take the classes or do the work. I went back to my hick town in New York, got a part-time job and attended a community college for a semester. Then I realized I couldn't stand it and moved in with my grandparents (grandpa is remarried) in Glendale, AZ in July of '07. My original plan was to live with them until I got my 2 year degree and establish residency and continue at an Arizona state school. I did well my first semester but things have progressively gotten worse - my grandfather is a disgruntled alcoholic that talks about how his death is around the corner everyday. My stepgrandmother (I guess you would call her) is a good person but argues constantly with my grandfather (somehow their marriage works). I am not a confrontational person, but they have their problems and I have my problems and the last thing we need is to be living together. Additionally, I am bored with school and am currently just scraping by. I want to take a break and work for a little while and support myself. I recently went to LA for the first time - it was awesome - so much more interesting than Phoenix. It also felt safer and looked cleaner than I had imagined. However, I am familiar with Phoenix and have met a lot of good people here, and I know it is a lot cheaper and safer than most of LA. Considering that I will be working full time and renting, what do you think: Phoenix or LA? I'm not worried about fitting in there - I have many good friends from SoCal.

Also I think I'd like to live in West LA (El Segundo, Culver City) or somewhere in Ventura County if I can afford it - any comments?

Thank-you.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 PM

I decided to stay in Phoenix and live with one of my buddies from school who has his own house and is renting out two of the rooms - only 6 more classes until I finish my 2 year - thanks for your responses

Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,775 times
I just moved to Culver City from Phoenix and I am so glad I made the move. There is so much to do here! I found a job very easily!
They pay is much better in LA too so I am still able to uphold my same standard of living.
I definately say LA especially for someone 19yo...though I am 27.
I would just live a little further away from Downtown or Hollywood. That way you don't get sucked in to the scene that easily. You will be able to escape to your home anytime you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles