Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I was wondering if that # was accurate.

As I posted in another thread on here - there are good and bad areas everywhere. Even the lowest crime areas could have things happen you would never imagine... its so crazy out there, its dangerous all over- not just south LA.

I live in NE Tennessee, with a population of about 50,000 in our city, but 400,000 total metro in a 40 mile radius- this is normally a quiet place when compared to the monster big cities out there and this is something that is not that common around here, but we do have shootings and murders- but I do not recall one in this area in awhile of this severity. This happened this morning only about 6 miles northwest of my house and 2 miles from where I work! Five people are dead, including the shooter. It was later told it was a "love triangle gone awry. They said it was a gruesome scene. This is a place I drive by daily when going to and from work. This is on the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD and Ash St. I am still amazed this happened.... you never know though. Apparently he shot two of them on the 8th floor and two more on the 1st floor breezeway.

From our local CBS station:
UPDATE 6:25 p.m.: Victims Named In Edgemont Towers Shooting, Suspect Allegedly Took His Life. - News - TriCities.com (http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2008-02-27-0021.html - broken link) It may take a moment to load, as so many people are visiting this page.

From our local NBC station:
WCYB NewsCenter5

Some of the 911 calls on there are disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintty View Post
Yes, that seems accurate and probably generous; the area is made up of african american and hispanic. It's pretty safe .. well, mainly safe during the daylight hours, but not at night. My advice is to drive around the area during the daylight hours so that if you ever get stranded there at night you won't feel stressed or scared.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 51,168 times
there are close to 90k people living in Compton now, do you guys actually believe that ALL of them are gang members or victims of crime?

You can go on ALL of the Boulevards and Semi-Major streets and not have a problem, the problem areas are localized in residential areas...

Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,826 times
Be sure to check out the Watts Towers when you go to visit Compton:

Welcome to the Watts Towers

Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 PM

44 posts, read 237,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
Be sure to check out the Watts Towers when you go to visit Compton:

Welcome to the Watts Towers

Make sure you visit Dr. Dre. J/K

Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM

7 posts, read 24,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcbob View Post
I dont think he meant walk around in a neighberhood with colored bandanas and durags BUT I garentee you you will be fine walking around downtown witha colored shirt or a hat but only downtown and only during daylight.I am white adopted into a black family and when I was 16 I lived in compton and each street in compton is like its own little community and all the close neighbers are very involved with eachother kinda like a big family.Dont get me wrong when your outside your neighberhood people it gets way more dangerous.Everyone in my neighberhood got the biggest kick out of me being white,so I never felt scare in the least bit but I was always with people that i knew and for the most part stayed on my block.As for being white in compton if your not with some black or hispanic people from the area I would say your best bet is to dress like your homeless.
I am from Australia, and I have recently discovered this whole thing they've got going on down in south central, most of my friends haven't even heard of Compton, but I sure know it is dangerous. I was just wondering what it would be like if i moved to Compton?...

Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_boy95 View Post
I am from Australia, and I have recently discovered this whole thing they've got going on down in south central, most of my friends haven't even heard of Compton, but I sure know it is dangerous. I was just wondering what it would be like if i moved to Compton?...
Are you just asking a question or are you seriously thinking of moving the Compton? If you are why?

Would I move there? Absolutely not, but there seem to be many people who are happy living there or at least can tolerate it.

Nita

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times
Well ive lived in CPT for my whole life iam 37 years old and i can tell you its ok if you just keep yourself to yourself, just dont wear blue oor red, show anything thats worth money and try not to look people in the eye if they are across the road or whatever, putting your head down when you walk will help and walking fast not hanging about. Hope this helps

Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM

291 posts, read 752,176 times
IOne thing about Compton that you should keep in mind is that it is alost 55% recent immigrant Latino so most residents are working class focused on their families and just trying to survive the the great economic calapse and not the thugs of yesteryear.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
Black woman 52 living in England. I would like to be educated with regards to Compton. Any educators please email me at Cazzany2@hotmail.com as i would welcome the knowledge.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newulm View Post
i am going on a roadtrip to LA and i was given a 200 dollar bet to walk a city block with a red t-shirt on at 12:00 noon. should i do it???
so your life is only worth $200?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles