U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 130,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans
Compton- is it all that bad?

simply put, yes it is that bad

Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 36,737 times
Compton, awww crips /bloods , MS13, alot of badass gangs down there, not small time gang wannabe's, these are the gangs that kill people for initiations, rob people,....You can wear gang colors, down there who says you cant...just watch where you step, you see the street tagged with red, and your wearing Deep blue AF ones with a blue XXL SHirt and a blue hat...your askin for someone to put you out....night or day....

Newullm...you want to challenge the Crips...with a redshirt.....Or gettin pulled over by the local Bloods to ask your y your wearing there colors in there hood... If you do...find directions to West Piru...you ll find what your looking for

Old 06-10-2006, 01:37 AM

8 posts, read 85,893 times
My dad was in the area....don't as why....anyways, he was in an office building and as soon as the clock hit 6pm...they all rushed to get out. My dad asked, cuz as a canadian, lol he has no idea.

He said that the building was surounded with 6ft fence with barb wire above it.
Not to judge the city or nothing, but.........it may not be wise to just "travel" there for no reason.

(When my dad told me, I put on Boys In The Hood, and he said it looked very similar if not exact to what he saw)
p.s. i know it was filmed there, but its interesting to see that he recognized it.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:38 AM

186 posts, read 616,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Do you actually think that just because you are "African American" you can just walk anywhere in these areas without any worries?
You may want to rethink things. Black on black crime is a huge problem in these areas.
My grandma is from compton. I have been there about 20 times. She lived two blocks from the 1992 riot carnage. We wore red and blue all the time. No trouble. Ever. Not on our block. We didnt wear LOUD colors, but soft reds and soft blues. I am black. I have never seen a white person there in my life so I cant comment about how whites would be treated.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,721,234 times
When I was picking up moving boxes from Ralphs Corp., I would have been accused of DWC (driving while caucasian) in Compton. No trouble since it was during the day, and I was in a car. I did note all the extra security measures of business there though.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 AM

16 posts, read 178,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya
Compton, awww crips /bloods , MS13, alot of badass gangs down there, not small time gang wannabe's, these are the gangs that kill people for initiations, rob people,....You can wear gang colors, down there who says you cant...just watch where you step, you see the street tagged with red, and your wearing Deep blue AF ones with a blue XXL SHirt and a blue hat...your askin for someone to put you out....night or day....

Newullm...you want to challenge the Crips...with a redshirt.....Or gettin pulled over by the local Bloods to ask your y your wearing there colors in there hood... If you do...find directions to West Piru...you ll find what your looking for
I don't believe they got any MS 13 fools down there, they got all the Pirus and Crips though - can't forget about the Compton Varrios gangs either... no one's sayin you cannot wear certain colors, but if you know it's heavily gang infested then you must be very careful. Bloods and Crips don't like unsual faces in their hood and will block your car at any given time, just lettin you know.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 172,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS
Are you kiddin me? How you gonna write something like that? That you can wear gang colors during the daytime in Compton. Well, good luck with that cuz doin so will get your body pumped by a 9mm pistol. If you do drive through the Hub City make sure you dress neutral (meaning no blue or red colors) cuz gang members come up with any exuse to sweat you.
I dont think he meant walk around in a neighberhood with colored bandanas and durags BUT I garentee you you will be fine walking around downtown witha colored shirt or a hat but only downtown and only during daylight.I am white adopted into a black family and when I was 16 I lived in compton and each street in compton is like its own little community and all the close neighbers are very involved with eachother kinda like a big family.Dont get me wrong when your outside your neighberhood people it gets way more dangerous.Everyone in my neighberhood got the biggest kick out of me being white,so I never felt scare in the least bit but I was always with people that i knew and for the most part stayed on my block.As for being white in compton if your not with some black or hispanic people from the area I would say your best bet is to dress like your homeless.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 16,083 times
Default Whydo Everyone Think Compton Is Such A Bad Place All Parts Of Compton Arent Like That

Well...let Me Put It Like This People On Here Writing About Compton Like Is Just Hella Of Bad I Know There Shootings And All This TYpe Of Stuff And All Arts Of Compton Arent Like That And Its Not Even That Bad....people Making It Seem Like If U Walk Out Side Your Going To Get Shot .. I Mean Accidents Happen But Its Not Like That At All...because I Have Lived In Compton My Whole Life And Walked Up And Down The Streets With Different Colors On It Really Doesnt Matter But At The Same Time It Does But Compton Isnt Really That Bad Because If I Am 17ys Old Botu To Be 18 And I Have Stayed Out Here My Whole Life And Never Got Shot At Are Anything I Dont Think Its That Bad....but I Know It Can Be ....i Know It Is Way Different For Girls Then Because ..other People From Differen Tgangs Ask Them Where There From......but How I See It In My Eyes Is Way Different Then Other People See It .........sincerely A Girl Born And Raised In Compton

Old 11-20-2006, 11:22 AM

989 posts, read 4,141,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREVIONA07 View Post
Well...let Me Put It Like This People On Here Writing About Compton Like Is Just Hella Of Bad I Know There Shootings And All This TYpe Of Stuff And All Arts Of Compton Arent Like That And Its Not Even That Bad....people Making It Seem Like If U Walk Out Side Your Going To Get Shot .. I Mean Accidents Happen But Its Not Like That At All...because I Have Lived In Compton My Whole Life And Walked Up And Down The Streets With Different Colors On It Really Doesnt Matter But At The Same Time It Does But Compton Isnt Really That Bad Because If I Am 17ys Old Botu To Be 18 And I Have Stayed Out Here My Whole Life And Never Got Shot At Are Anything I Dont Think Its That Bad....but I Know It Can Be ....i Know It Is Way Different For Girls Then Because ..other People From Differen Tgangs Ask Them Where There From......but How I See It In My Eyes Is Way Different Then Other People See It .........sincerely A Girl Born And Raised In Compton
Thanks for your opinion-I got the jist of what you are saying. Unfortunately the caps on every word threw me off.

I have been through Compton quite a few times. I did feel a bit comfortable in my car. We saw Mercedes Benz' driving there and other nicer cars-it wasn't all extreme poverty. Of course people in Mercedes were 9 times out of ten-black.

The infrastructure in Compton isn't terrible either. It's not decrepit. The housing is not as dense as many other ghettos are in similar cities.

As far as being safe there, it's possible. Act smart and don't engage in anything that would express any gang involvement.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM

979 posts, read 2,658,449 times
Their is still alot of Crime in South L.A,but I think the Thugs are moving to the Inland Empire.

Compton has alot of potential to become a Great Place to Live and Work,but it's going to take the efforts of it's citizens and of the city government to make that transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles