U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,279,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPWooP View Post
Well I dont know much about Compton eihter, first time I heard about Compton was threw the song of N.W.A(Straight Outta Compton), and since that they on I wanted to find everything about it. Then I heard about This two Albums Banging On Wax where Bloods N Crips is rappin on,most of this Guys R dead today,and they all lived in Compton.To be anoust, I dont know
wanna allow myself a Judgment over Compton,but what I heard so far, itz a place U better walk threw,or circle it befor U stay there!!
Alright! Before you list their greatest album and why, don't listen to that junk. They could rapp that Beverly Hills was taken over by thugs, and some G in Georgia would believe it. So funny.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-26-2006, 07:41 PM

530 posts, read 2,012,063 times
compton houses cost roughly 350k-400k that should tell you something when most places in la are at least 600k.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 AM

652 posts, read 2,729,046 times
Quote:
Compton - is it all bad?
Compared to what...the red zones in Baghdad?

Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM

16,233 posts, read 25,771,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
This forum has become so hydra-headed that many excellent prior posts are lost in the sheer volume. Please go to the thread "ghettos" and read the second post by Lenore. I've only been a day-tripper seeking freelance jobs in Compton businesses: Lenore had a touching, personal story to tell us about living in the area. Great post.

And donth8me, please rethink that "blame the victim" mentality. All urban dwellers nowadays have street savvy, and as such, crime victims aren't timid bunnies, they're just plain unlucky statistics of probability.
Now really, fastfilm, while I admire your status on this board, does it give you license to address someone personally on this board who didn't specifically invite personal comments, and advise them on what they should and shouldn't do? Did it upset you that someone might play the devil's advocate? Or did I strike a nerve on the timid bunny comment?

I have been reading your posts and have observed that you have a tendency to make broad, sweeping generalizations - i.e. All urban street dwellers, all the unfortunates, etc. While you certainly have the capacity to post eloquently and prolifically, that sheer fact doesn't mean you are always right, nor that you are in a position to instruct others. More than half of communication is non-verbal, which is what I was going after in my post. You may or may not be aware of it, but the people who live around you and spray grafitti only need to observe you for a moment to realize what time it is.

You seem to propagate a lot of negativity towards LA on this board, and I reall don't have a problem with bitterness - but to accuse me of a) having a blame the victim mentality, and b) stating that all urban dwellers have street savvy, is a bit far-fetched. Some people living in LA are recent transplants from very small towns where they romanticize a walk on Venice Beach at dusk holding hands with their boyfriend only to get beaten and gang raped by about ten Culver City Crips, forcing said boyfriend to watch her while they beat him up too. Yes this happened to someone I know a few years ago. Do I blame the vicitims for the crime? Of course not. Would a street savvy couple have gone strolling on Venice Beach at dusk? Not likely.

My mother raised me to never live in fear. If your card is pulled, then it happens, but by no means am I going to wilt away in some gated white-washed community when I have the privilege of sharing my life with myriad people from all walks of life who have shown me so much beauty, novelty, diversity, sabor, different customs, different POVs, the list goes on. Maybe I don't complain about having to learn to speak five different languages because that's what I already went and did. Adapting to change is a quintessential part of LA living, and I believe the people who harp about how life in LA 'back in the day' used to be, just don't want to deal with what is right now.

All of this negative talk of gangs and violence in LA is really neither here nor there. I am a native Californian and I have lived in this area for nearly all my life - and have never suffered any sort of violence worthy of describing. Am I just a 'lucky statistic of probability'? The nicks in every panel of my car that I obtain by leaving it in the parking lot of my employment is about all the damage I can come up with. At the end of the day, I would venture to say a person in LA is more likely to die in a car accident than by a drive-by shooting. This doesn't seem to deter the multitudes of people who flock to our freeways on a daily basis, does it now?

I live in a racially diverse area of the South Bay, and have to say that I have left my front door wide open by mistake all day long and when I came home from work not a thing was moved or missing. I know all my neighbors by name, we don't have any grafitti in our area, and the people living here all work hard for what we have. I don't lock my car at night and have not since I bought my home eight years ago. I love living here and feel that evey day is a blessing. LA is certainly not for everyone, but what I have observed is that people who embrace diversity, other cultures, ethnicities, languages, etc. usually fare better in appreciating what this city is today and get along better with everyone. God bless every one of us, including those people who spray grafitti on your house. They are also human beings and have a right live.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,436,536 times
But they don't have the right to spray graffiti on our house. Whether the unlawful behavior is the malicious mischief of property damage to us, or the horror of gang-raping your friend, the mindset that it's "normal" for here might be the paradigm shift that makes the area you love unliveable for the generation after you. I think that's the heart of it.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM

9,348 posts, read 29,121,571 times
Quote:
But they don't have the right to spray graffiti on our house. Whether the unlawful behavior is the malicious mischief of property damage to us, or the horror of gang-raping your friend, the mindset that it's "normal" for here might be the paradigm shift that makes the area you love unliveable for the generation after you. I think that's the heart of it.
Here's the thing. You live in a big city. Second biggest city in the country. Dude, graffitti happens. It happens in the suburbs and it happens in the ghetto. The only difference is how you deal with it!

We've got tagging in my neighborhood too, and yes, tagging sucks. As far as I'm concerned, taggers are thugs-in-training and should be dealt with harshly.

Tags don't ever make it anywhere near my house, but on the main streets and commercial areas, it's a problem. That said, I am on top of getting tags covered up. I report any tag I see in the neighborhood to the city and follow up on every one I report until it gets covered. I have a working relationship with my city councilperson's office and I pester them until stuff gets done.

You say you've got a problem with repeated tagging - so that brings up a few thoughts:
- you live on a main street
AND
- you've got a large exposed wall near the street

Personally I made a decision long ago never to live on a main street off any kind - no double yellow lines. Also never live on a block with commercial-use property mixed with residential on the same block.

Have you considered placing some large plants, wooden fence, or other objects in front of the wall? Is the area well-lit? Do you have security cameras?

What are you doing to change the situation? What action are you taking to help solve the problem?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:51 PM

I'm answering Sassberto's pop quiz for the benefit of those moving, by economic necessity, to iffy areas in L.A. This is the Compton thread after all, so I believe my answers might apply to anyone who's not rich, and what options remain for this demographic in Los Angeles.

Sassberto, security cameras? We can't even afford an electronic security system. We have big dogs (that, unbeknownst to intruders, are sweethearts,) and, as a freelancer, I have odd, always erratic hours to foil anyone casing the neighborhood.

The taggers get the sidewalks in front of the houses in our modest, all single-family homes neighborhood, other neighbors' walls, street signs, garages, mailboxes, trash cans, basically anything stationary. I remove anything that's doable with paint remover. The City's 311 graffiti removal takes up to 3 months unless it's an obvious obscenity, so I just bypass that and go straight to the local Community Services (jail alternative) to schedule them for my block. They have sandblasters that can handle concrete sidewalks, I don't, and they are timely and free. I also joined neighborhood watch, and distribute phone numbers that can help my neighbors cut through the city quagmire and get services more quickly.

Here's a sampler of what I distribute for the middle of the San Fernando Valley. Folks reading this could look up similar numbers for their own neighborhoods, but the L.A. City #s are current.

"Please keep this page and use these phone numbers to make sure our neighborhood stays safer, cleaner and more peaceful. Your own phone call can make things better here.

To find any L.A. city government department phone number 24 hours a day, call 311. (Yes, just these three numbers.) It works!

Police (my local police phone numbers including night desk...)

L.A.P.D. non-emergencies: 877 275 5273

All true emergencies such as fire, violence or medical, call 911

Bulky item (sofas, beds, big trash items) pickup: 800 773 2489

Abandoned cars: 800 222 6366 or 311 after hours

Parking enforcement (such as your driveway blocked): (local number)

Graffiti removal: (local number)

To get the city to enforce its safety codes, to report trash piled up in front yards, people living in garages or sheds, call Building & Safety at
888 524 2845.

(then some chatty neighborhood news.)"

I distribute these along a police newsletter of crime reports and local crime trends to look out for every 2 months or so, and put my phone # on it so I can direct people's questions to the proper place. We had a big problem of stolen cars being dumped on our block until people figured out how to report them using these numbers. (For those unaware, criminals steal a car for the crime at hand, then dump it, to stay untraceable by license plates.)

Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 PM

9,348 posts, read 29,121,571 times
Quote:
The taggers get the sidewalks in front of the houses in our modest, all single-family homes neighborhood, other neighbors' walls, street signs, garages, mailboxes, trash cans, basically anything stationary.
Oh man... tagged sidewalks = ghetto. Where do you live in SFV?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 AM

The vandalized sidewalks started only about 4 years ago. This coincides with what the police said was the incursion of the Salvador Maratrucha gang into an area informally stocked with Barrio V.N. gang who then all awakened to get brutal and go into new areas like mine. This was once considered a nice bedroom community in the Valley as recently as the 13 years ago we moved here. I never knew the same Valley neighborhood that my older neighbors said was actually fun, with movie theatres and car cruising night: it was what we could afford at the time. But you've fastforwarded my resolve to do a mini-photo essay to show people here how the once middle class neighborhoods in L.A. are vestigial veneers over a fairly bad quality of life now. People see nice sunny houses in L.A. on tv, don't hear the gunshots and helicopters overhead. But I'll eventually do it in a new thread, as I would love to read more posts on topic like Lenore's. Sassberto, at least you prompted my posting some useful phone numbers for people moving here.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 AM

530 posts, read 2,012,063 times
I live in the valley and I resent this idea about gangs. If you live near Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks or Studio City you are cool. Just do not go north of Ventura!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles