Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM

108 posts, read 597,461 times

Advertisements

I'm not seriously considering going near there, but I was given the following advice - don't wear gang colours, don't look lost, don't look any better off than lower-middle class. Some people say they've driven through there unwittingly and not even noticed it from any other bad part of town, many others warn about the dangers. I started a thread on a travel forum about this, and it generated a heated debate about asking if I just wanted to seem "cool" by going there. I just want to see between the lines and ask people with 1st or 2nd hand experience or stories of the area.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
There are many large employers there (Ralphs supermarket chains) necessitating non-locals' commutes there. I used to get moving boxes there 13 years ago, and made many trips. It is NOT a place I'd prefer to have car trouble in. Daytime is doable, nighttime is not.

Many other companies with plants in the really dangerous areas of Los Angeles post large signs saying that they employ locals in the same community, which is the best thing they can do for self-protection besides accordion razor-wire.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM
adp

8 posts, read 118,458 times
Default compton

Alot of compton residents ***** and complain about it. It used to be white, the housing stock is frequently similar to housing in white areas except the residents there make it uninhabitable. Also, there are lots of companies based out of there, lots of huge operations. The stupid thugs who say there's no jobs there are full of it. Bottom line: the residents of Compton make it dangerous and undesirable.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 133,025 times
Compton is a place where it is filled with gangs. During day time, it's okay to be there with gang colors (trust me, you wont get shot unless a psychotic gang member sees you as a rival gang member). However you should avoid that place during the night time. Also, just because you go to compton, it doesn't mean that you will get robbed or shot automatically. This will happen only if you are unlucky and most of the crimes done in Compton are usually done to people who already reside in the area (probably because outsiders dont go there). Compton has many problems however, such as low education level, low house value, poverty, gang, drugs, prostitution, jobless, and etc.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 263,948 times
yes indeed avoid Compton at all costs at night time for sure...

Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM

16 posts, read 226,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisuh
Compton is a place where it is filled with gangs. During day time, it's okay to be there with gang colors (trust me, you wont get shot unless a psychotic gang member sees you as a rival gang member). However you should avoid that place during the night time. Also, just because you go to compton, it doesn't mean that you will get robbed or shot automatically. This will happen only if you are unlucky and most of the crimes done in Compton are usually done to people who already reside in the area (probably because outsiders dont go there). Compton has many problems however, such as low education level, low house value, poverty, gang, drugs, prostitution, jobless, and etc.
Are you kiddin me? How you gonna write something like that? That you can wear gang colors during the daytime in Compton. Well, good luck with that cuz doin so will get your body pumped by a 9mm pistol. If you do drive through the Hub City make sure you dress neutral (meaning no blue or red colors) cuz gang members come up with any exuse to sweat you.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 154,783 times
i am going on a roadtrip to LA and i was given a 200 dollar bet to walk a city block with a red t-shirt on at 12:00 noon. should i do it???

Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
You sound very juvenile, sorry to say, if this is your idea of fun while traveling, so I doubt you'll take us residents seriously. Wear whatever you want, just don't engage in conversations that begin with "Where you from?" The correct answer is always - walking away immediately.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 154,783 times
actually i am 32 year of age and am an african american studies major from the univeristy of ohio

Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newulm
actually i am 32 year of age and am an african american studies major from the univeristy of ohio
Do you actually think that just because you are "African American" you can just walk anywhere in these areas without any worries?
You may want to rethink things. Black on black crime is a huge problem in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles