U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 916 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving from NYC to LA sometime next month and I'm trying to narrow down a great beach town. I'm a single 38 year old male and I would like to make sure I'm not moving to a beach town where the majority of people are in their mid 20s.

I will be working remote and I would like to live in a beach town where I can bike or walk everywhere.

I'm an active person that likes to surf, play volleyball, and cycle around town but I also don't mind grabbing an IPA at a dive bar once in awhile. My clubbing days are over.

I'm not too concerned about price and could afford something around 3-4k for rent.

I think I have narrowed down to a couple of beach towns and would love feedback.

LA

Santa Monica by Main Street - How is area? Young? 30 - 40s? Crime?

Venice - It looks like a lot of people recommend Venice. What's the best area to live in Venice? How about Marina Del Rey?

Manhattan Beach - A great place for families but not the ideal location if you're single?

Hermosa Beach - From what I've read it's a smaller beach town with nightlife. Are we talking 30s or are the majority of the people in their 20s?

OC

Huntington Beach - Looks like a great surf town but how vibe in the area? A good place to live? Younger crowd?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 01:42 PM

407 posts, read 111,431 times
Beach areas have all kinds of housing.

The areas that are closer to the beaches and hip areas have tall apartment complexes with paper-thin walls. People regularly smoke weed and play music.

There are mansions that may rent rooms.

There are two-story apartment complexes farther away that may be quieter.

You may even find guest houses for rent for $4,000.
https://hotpads.com/2722-6th-st-sant...pes=house&z=15

Check if there is a grocery store nearby. It'll be difficult to walk a couple miles to a store.

Why would you care about young people? It will matter only if you'll rent a room with them.
Otherwise, they won't notice you, especially young girls.

Many young people in Santa Monica are spoiled children of rich foreign parents.

Last edited by vincenze; 08-02-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 04:24 PM

17 posts, read 9,412 times
You have a healthy budget which is great.

I would honestly checkout Marina del Rey. Loads of luxury waterfront units and you're right in the middle of it all.

If you're looking for any type of proximity to the culture of LA/NYC, I would immediately scratch off Hermosa Beach and Huntington beach. Hermosa feels like an aging fraternity scene and HB is a bit desert ratty for my taste with surf bros and lifted pickup trucks.

Manhattan Beach is great, but it's still very family oriented and housing stock is polarizing. It's either a dumpy looking 1950's apartment or a 3-4 million dollar McMansion. Most of the city is zoned SFH so you won't find many luxury apartments.

Santa Monica is going to be the most vibrant and you have plenty of housing options. I lived there for 6 years and will say that it does get it's share of homeless and the tourist congestion on the weekend gets old. Main street is a mix with the bars trending younger, but restaurants a bit towards your age.

Venice has a great restaurant scene but too much crime, ugly housing, and a homeless problem which is why I opted for Marina del Rey.

MDR is beautiful, exclusive, safe, waterfront, and fits the demographic. Also, there is zero tolerance for homeless and riff-raff. The local sheriff will quickly push them back to Venice. Lots of 30-50 year old active professionals and it tends to price out the 20 year olds. Mother's beach is close and you are 5 minute walk to the ocean. The beach in MDR is about 1/2 mile at the end of the Venice boardwalk so most of the tourists never venture down past that.

My only complaint with MDR is that it could use a few more non-touristy restaurants, but I'm only a 5 minute Uber to Abbot Kinney or Main Street if I want to do the restaurant scene. I can also bike to downtown Santa Monica < 15 minutes for a change of scenery. MDR is a bit overbuilt atm with luxury apartments and many are offering 1-3 months free on a lease so factor that into the pricing. Checkout Waves, Amli, Neptune Marina, Azzura. Amazing buildings with luxury amenities.

Best of luck with your move.

Last edited by stub303; 08-02-2020 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 10:04 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,507,378 times
Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are my top three recommendations.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
263 posts, read 293,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenzie5 View Post
Hi,

I'm moving from NYC to LA sometime next month and I'm trying to narrow down a great beach town. I'm a single 38 year old male and I would like to make sure I'm not moving to a beach town where the majority of people are in their mid 20s.

I will be working remote and I would like to live in a beach town where I can bike or walk everywhere.

I'm an active person that likes to surf, play volleyball, and cycle around town but I also don't mind grabbing an IPA at a dive bar once in awhile. My clubbing days are over.

I'm not too concerned about price and could afford something around 3-4k for rent.

I think I have narrowed down to a couple of beach towns and would love feedback.

LA

Santa Monica by Main Street - How is area? Young? 30 - 40s? Crime?

Venice - It looks like a lot of people recommend Venice. What's the best area to live in Venice? How about Marina Del Rey?

Manhattan Beach - A great place for families but not the ideal location if you're single?

Hermosa Beach - From what I've read it's a smaller beach town with nightlife. Are we talking 30s or are the majority of the people in their 20s?

OC

Huntington Beach - Looks like a great surf town but how vibe in the area? A good place to live? Younger crowd?

Thanks!

In order of preference, I'd pick the following:

Santa Monica (south of the Pico, west of Lincoln, north of Rose)
Manhattan Beach
Marina Del Rey

The aforementioned parts of Santa Monica are the perfect balance of city living with beach ammenites. Not as many tourists or homeless in that part of Santa Monica (compared with the the SM Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, etc). Age demographics would generally be fine for you. Maybe tilt slightly younger (mid or late 20's). Nonetheless, it's not an all out frat party in that area.

Manhattan Beach is lovely. You'd get the SoCal beach charm while still being very close to the city. But MB feels like it's on a different, calmer pace. Yes there are families and young couples.

Marina Del Rey is not my style, but many people enjoy the living situation and amenities. To me, it lacks charm. But it's got easy walking proximity to Abbot Kinney, Ballona Creek, and the calm part of Venice's beach. The age demographics would be fine for you.

I'd skip Huntington Beach and Hermosa Beach.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:21 AM

4,364 posts, read 9,230,933 times
Caveat: I can’t stand Santa Monica. The traffic is hideous, the prices are obscene, the beach is among the worst in So Cal, and the leftist politics are out of control.

Manhattan Beach is very expensive and pretentious.

I have no opinion on MDR other than I think it’s nice but isolated.

Of those you listed, Huntington Beach hits the most of your wants. It’s not dominated by 20’s aged people, the surfing is way better than any of the places you listed(you’ll be able to walk, bike, or bus to the best surfing spots, there’s a great bike way along the coast, volleyball courts on the beach(and you’d be able to join a Social group if you wanted), and there’s a ton of restaurants and bars in the Main St area. Your money will go way farther on housing than the LA County areas. At the upper levels of your budget($3300-4000) you’d actually be able to rent a decent size SFR. Given your wants, Id concentrate on the area between Golden West and Beach, south of Adams. Imo the closer to the coast and the closer to Main St the better but some people don’t like all the summer crowd. However be aware that neighborhood doesn’t have a grocery store. You have to drive or bike a mile or two to get to a grocery store. There’s a bike lane on Golden West and an Albertsons at GW and Yorktown. Not really far, but not particularly walkable.

You’ll get better answers on HB in the OC forum.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:26 PM

140 posts, read 167,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Caveat: I can’t stand Santa Monica. The traffic is hideous, the prices are obscene, the beach is among the worst in So Cal, and the leftist politics are out of control.

Manhattan Beach is very expensive and pretentious.

I have no opinion on MDR other than I think it’s nice but isolated.

Of those you listed, Huntington Beach hits the most of your wants. It’s not dominated by 20’s aged people, the surfing is way better than any of the places you listed(you’ll be able to walk, bike, or bus to the best surfing spots, there’s a great bike way along the coast, volleyball courts on the beach(and you’d be able to join a Social group if you wanted), and there’s a ton of restaurants and bars in the Main St area. Your money will go way farther on housing than the LA County areas. At the upper levels of your budget($3300-4000) you’d actually be able to rent a decent size SFR. Given your wants, Id concentrate on the area between Golden West and Beach, south of Adams. Imo the closer to the coast and the closer to Main St the better but some people don’t like all the summer crowd. However be aware that neighborhood doesn’t have a grocery store. You have to drive or bike a mile or two to get to a grocery store. There’s a bike lane on Golden West and an Albertsons at GW and Yorktown. Not really far, but not particularly walkable.

You’ll get better answers on HB in the OC forum.
Love Santa Monica's beaches and leftist politics!

Old 08-08-2020, 06:40 AM

585 posts, read 307,741 times
You might enjoy Newport Beach (on the penninsula by the pier) - umm, except on July 4th. You might also really like downtown Seal Beach, also by the pier. Another good spot without a ton of college kids everywhere might be Belmont Shores area of Long Beach, kinda right next to Seal Beach.

PS- FWIW, all the places mentioned above are in OC. Except Belmont Shores, which is immediately next to the LA/OC county border.

HTH

Old 08-08-2020, 11:28 PM

4,364 posts, read 9,230,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
Love Santa Monica's beaches and leftist politics!
Needles in your feet and your overlords dictating how you eat and breathe sounds like oh so much fun.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 553 times
Hermosa Beach is fun. Watch where you live or the nightlife can be noisy. Check out Redondo Beach too. Playa del Rey also. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles