Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 54,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Hispanic "person of color", if you wlll. Born in Los Angeles but I've lived in the Antelope Valley the better part of my life (50+ years). So, I'd like to say I'm pretty well versed on how things are here.

I tend to say things how I see them.
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I'm sure if we were in person it wouldn't have felt as dismissive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:32 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
What, a person that wants "rural, but 10 mins from a city," to grow dope. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 08-16-2020, 01:45 PM

545 posts, read 513,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsewwhat View Post
It IS regular farming. Like I want fruit trees, a medicinal herb garden, veggies, and chickens (but that's only if I am willing to commit to longer than 3-4 mos a year there because chickens need attention). Hydroponic food grows faster than in soil and since I've done it here I wanted more space to build an actual greenhouse (high tunnel)...hence the desire for agricultural land.

I also missed the pot grow operation too and I'm the OP. It's weird to me that hydroponic gardening is so associated to weed, but I get it. It's all over Cali I guess. Lol. It's different on the East coast.
Hydroponics in Los Angeles = pot growing as commonly understood

No need to take offense

The hydroponic stores in Los Angeles were the precursors to the pot stores.

That said, you won't need hydroponics to grow what you want to grow. You just plant things in the soil.

You will find that citrus grows readily out here just in the soil. Yes, you also need irrigation, but many times after plants are established they just keep growing.

As for other plants, I can't say for sure but I know this; you will see a ton of yards in with people do their own small farming -- out in the open. You sometimes see greenhouses

Good luck !!!!

Old 08-16-2020, 02:09 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
OP might wanna grow opium or peyote or ibo, not marijuana...

Clearly wants to be hidden, away from the watchful eye of DEA...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-16-2020 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 08-16-2020, 10:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Hydroponics in Los Angeles = pot growing as commonly understood

No need to take offense

The hydroponic stores in Los Angeles were the precursors to the pot stores.

That said, you won't need hydroponics to grow what you want to grow. You just plant things in the soil.

You will find that citrus grows readily out here just in the soil. Yes, you also need irrigation, but many times after plants are established they just keep growing.

As for other plants, I can't say for sure but I know this; you will see a ton of yards in with people do their own small farming -- out in the open. You sometimes see greenhouses

Good luck !!!!
Citrus doesn't grow in the AV. It's too far above sea level and the air gets too cold and dry in winter.

Fruit trees such as peaches, plumbs, apricots, cherries and some figs do well. No citrus or avocados though.

If OP desires California, they may want to look into a Central Valley town where the climate is milder.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Citrus doesn't grow in the AV. It's too far above sea level and the air gets too cold and dry in winter.

Fruit trees such as peaches, plumbs, apricots, cherries and some figs do well. No citrus or avocados though.

If OP desires California, they may want to look into a Central Valley town where the climate is milder.
True, but there are still many homes that have their own lemon and orange trees. Once established, they grow well. You may need to cultivate them a little more to get them going. And drape them in winter.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:56 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
True, but there are still many homes that have their own lemon and orange trees. Once established, they grow well. You may need to cultivate them a little more to get them going. And drape them in winter.
You can grow them in containers and bring them inside during the winter. It does get below freezing here.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:41 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
When you look at old topographic maps, there were some orchards south of Elizabeth Lake Road and also the area between Goddy Hill Road out to Munz Canyon Road. Some of the skeleton trees are still there south of ELR and they sure look like citrus of some type. But yeah, too cold in the winter.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You can grow them in containers and bring them inside during the winter. It does get below freezing here.
But only for a few weeks tho?

Maybe a month?

Taking about the flat lands not in the hills

Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
But only for a few weeks tho?

Maybe a month?

Taking about the flat lands not in the hills
It's actually colder in the flatter parts of the Antelope Valley during the winter. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Pelona mountain range, just below Leona Valley. It will be 10 degrees warmer here than 10 mies away on the valley floor in Lancaster.

Strange, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles