Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,979 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Long time reader, first-time poster here.
The median home value in Los Angeles is $752,508 (stated by Zillow) now.
Where would you buy a house for this amount?
I am ready to buy even fixer-upper because I have some construction experience from my 20-th.
Looking for good schools (kids are 2 and 5 now).
I work mostly from home (1-2 business trips bi-weekly to Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, and Malibu, so I do not care about a commute).
She works from home too, our total income is close to 110-125 pre-tax.
We rent 2bd/2ba tiny house in Mar Vista, we like the area, but it is too expensive to buy.
We have considered Santa Clarita, but it is too hot for us. Ontario Ranch is too far from our friends and beach.
We need some decent restaurants (not Mastro, but not IHOP) in walkable/5-min driving distance. We need some kid activities close by (library, dance studio, etc). We need safe area, because we do not carry. We need some immigrant-friendly environment (I am Russian and she is from Guatemala). We need some backyard - without pool, but large enought to install trampoline or grill some meat with 5-7 friends. We need some good groceries i.e. Trader Joes. We are more Costco shoppers than Dollartree or Whole Foods.
Thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Reseda

Old 09-18-2020, 09:08 PM

Unfortunately, Reseda has no good schools(

Old 09-19-2020, 03:35 AM

73 posts, read 42,865 times
Looking for somewhere in Los Angeles city? or LA metro? Generally, North OC cities are safe and affordable (except for small parts), have okay schools and lots of Asian immigrants. Restaurants are somewhat weak.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:07 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,044 times
Look for best school districts in LA Metro.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Niche often ranks them by grade. Really anything in A grade is worth looking to if you want very good school districts. Many middle class families and above move to these places just for the schools. That is why housing prices are higher there. So just find out if you can find homes in your price range in these school districts. Then you can go on google maps and it will show all the different places to shop/eat.

LAUSD can have good schools in certain areas especially elementary, and generally starts to fall in middle/high school. But I think things might change in the near future. Charter schools are sometimes good options. Also religious schools or independent schools are options. My sister sent her kids to Catholic School because the schools in her area are not that good despite the area where she lives is quite affluent but go down a few blocks it is quite the opposite.

Last edited by Yac; 09-22-2020 at 11:58 PM..

Old 09-19-2020, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Mike, I think you may have some issues; maybe you will have to do some compromising. Just thought I would add this thought: of course schools are very important but kids can excel in life without top schools as long as their parents challenge them as well. This does not mean you have to settle for really bad schools, but check the middle of the road rated and see what there is out there.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:56 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoir View Post
Unfortunately, Reseda has no good schools(
Not true.

Look into magnets and charters within LAUSD.

Otherwise be prepared to move FAR out.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Magnets and charters are pure lotteries IMO. And Reseda is very Hispanic population and with kind of high crime

Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
I'd start with Placentia and Fullerton in OC, then look at Lakewood, Cerritos, Northridge, Chatsworth, Van Nuys and Granada Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles