U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,338 times
Default Ranking cities in the SFV

I'm considering moving to the valley. We are currently looking in Woodland Hills, Encino, and certain parts of Sherman Oaks. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty ranking of the SFV cities. From my personal perspective, Encino and Woodland Hills appear to be the best. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,217,618 times
Cant really "RANK" the areas of the Valley. Will depend on what youre looking for.

Will you be renting or buying? Kids or no kids? If kids what are their ages? Are you young or old? Where will you be working? What kind of commute would be doable to you?

You see, there are too many variables to "rank" the areas of the Valley. My personal favorites:

Studio City
Sherman Oaks
Encino
Woodland Hills

Old 05-02-2008, 04:03 PM

We have two preschool aged children. We're relocating from Long Beach and will pe purchasing. Our max is 700K.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM

707 posts, read 2,289,314 times
If you're looking for a L.A. city vibe with great neighborhoods and retail then Studio city, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills would be your best choices. As far as good neighborhoods, anything near the 118 and west of the 5 freeway is good. Burbank is also a great city with good and bad neighborhoods but its 'good' overwhelms its bad aspects.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
If you're looking for a L.A. city vibe with great neighborhoods and retail then Studio city, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills would be your best choices. As far as good neighborhoods, anything near the 118 and west of the 5 freeway is good. Burbank is also a great city with good and bad neighborhoods but its 'good' overwhelms its bad aspects.
I like Burbank, but my experience is that it has "pockets" of sketchy areas. I realize it's hard to find a perfect whole city, but I'm a little worried about having any part of that element in my community. Woodland Hills appears to be the most family friendly area I've seen. I like some of the "view" homes south of Ventura. I'll be commuting downtown, although I don't have to be in the office until 11:00 pm at the latest. I'm hoping this will let some of the worst traffic pass. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,217,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed north 2008 View Post
We have two preschool aged children. We're relocating from Long Beach and will pe purchasing. Our max is 700K.

The only thing is, $700k will not go far in Woodland Hills or Encino as far as housing goes but at least if youre in Woodland HIlls you'll be around some of the better LAUSD schools for your kids. Unless you want to put your kids in private school I would pass on Sherman Oaks. A $700k Sherman Oaks home will put you in district for North Hollywood High, Grant High School, Van Nuys High School or Birmingham High School - schools not known for their academic prowess.

$700k will go a bit farther for a house in Burbank and the schools are not LAUSD but they will also be just as diverse as the other schools but with a smaller hispanic and larger Armenian population than in the other school districts.

I would have to suggest Burbank as the best place for you. If you could up your budget a bit or will be putting the kids in private school then I would go with Encino or Sherman Oaks. Most of the private schools in these areas have predominately Jewish and/or Persian/Jewish student bases.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,199,434 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving to the valley. We are currently looking in Woodland Hills, Encino, and certain parts of Sherman Oaks. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty ranking of the SFV cities. From my personal perspective, Encino and Woodland Hills appear to be the best. Thanks for any information.

Where will you be working (and commuting to from where you live)?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,870,312 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me a quick and dirty ranking of the SFV cities.
The San Fernando Valley is not divided up into cities. It's more or less one big city separated from the rest of LA by the hills. The distinctions between the areas are less important than it's all "The Valley" or "The 818."

You'll do better to tell us what you are looking for and ask which part of the SFV would be recommended.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 AM

5,852 posts, read 1,566,190 times
Number one IMO would be Sherman Oaks for these reasons:

1.Cooler than Encino and W.H.
2.Close proximity to everything and can go over the hill from a canyon instead of the freeway like Encino or W.H.
3. Sherman Oaks Elementary is a good school with a very involved PTA and parental involvment. After that, you can use the lottery system to get into a Gifted Program or out of district school if you can't afford private.
4. Barely recognize Encino as part of America anymore and it's on the dirty side.
JMO

Old 05-03-2008, 12:16 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,870,312 times
I doubt you'd ever be able to notice the difference in temperatures between those three close by cities. I haven't. You might be able to measure a couple of degrees on a thermometer.

Sherman Oaks has Beverly Glen over the hill. Encino has Sepulveda Blvd. over the hill. Woodland Hills has Topanga Canyon over the hill. (Studio City has Laurel Canyon and Coldwater Canyon.)

All are in close proximity to "everything."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles