Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,735 times

Advertisements

Check out Mar Vista which is adjacent to Santa Monica - would reduce the commute! It may or may not fit your lifestyle but is worth a look. The attached example is within your budget but not of the architectural style you may be looking for. Good luck with your search!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45642942_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 09:13 AM

148 posts, read 136,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardeer View Post
Woodland Hills is a nice quite, boring suburb area but keep in mind it gets insanely hot there. You can get a gorgeous house there though and stay under budget.
And the drive through TOpanga to PCH can be brutal. All it takes is one accident and you're screwed as ther aren't many alternatives other than Mulholland or Sunset or some screwy canyon route.
Also, Woodland Hills is LAUSD but most of the kids in Woodland Hills are smart kids so most of the schools are high performing.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
You have a reasonable budget, but in this area, you can have a larger house or a shorter commute, but you can't really have both straight away. Personally, I'd be trying to keep the commute as short as possible, and buy with a view to trading up or expanding what you buy in a few years.

I agree with KemBro's boundary suggestions, but I'd also generally try to stay west of the 405 if you can, just for traffic reasons. I would try to stay east of Lincoln as well, for price reasons and homeless issues. Calabasas and Topanga are beautiful, but I agree that it's not a great commute. Woodland Hills is fine, but it's still not really a great commute.

With your budget, you should be able to find something in the Mar Vista area as Social Democrat suggested. This would give you a much better commute than virtually anywhere else on your list, other than SM itself. You are young, no kids, look for a smaller fixer on a bigger lot, it will be way more affordable than something move-in ready and give you many more future options - rebuild, remodel, put in an ADU or Junior ADU, etc. I'd also look in Culver West and Del Rey, which are a little closer to Playa Vista and Playa del Rey. Basically anything in the 90066 zip code, or the westerly parts of 90230. The elementary schools in the area are generally pretty good, even though they are LAUSD.

Also, if you find something, maybe come back on and ask for advice re traffic. It's hard to tell at the moment because of Covid, everything is relatively quiet, but some streets seem very sedate during the day, but are bumper to bumper during peak times, e.g. Pearl St in SM and Walgrove in Mar Vista. You wouldn't know it without local knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles