U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM

27 posts, read 75,227 times

Advertisements

As I've stated already.. I'm moving in August. I plan on living with family until I pay off my debt and save enough money to be able to move out. However, I was actually considering buying vs renting. If I can find a small house for $100-150k (obviously depending on where I look and the value of the house) and have a mortgage of $900-1000 a month.. it'd be better than paying that same amount on rent.

Given the fact that I don't live out there - what would you guys suggest? How is the buying market out there?

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM

7,113 posts, read 18,976,369 times
that price range will probably put you in a part of CA that made you wish you were back home.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Haha, this might be true. However, I've been looking around in various areas, and have seen some semi-decent ones. And with 30 year mortgages even more expensive houses may be affordable (vs even $1500-2000 a mo rent).

Granted I'd do more research before I did anything rash. I may end up living with family for a good 6 months to a year, depending on how quickly I find a job (I'm moving out there without a job as I don't want to transfer within my current company).

Old 05-07-2008, 02:13 PM

269 posts, read 803,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLee View Post
Haha, this might be true. However, I've been looking around in various areas, and have seen some semi-decent ones. And with 30 year mortgages even more expensive houses may be affordable (vs even $1500-2000 a mo rent).

Granted I'd do more research before I did anything rash. I may end up living with family for a good 6 months to a year, depending on how quickly I find a job (I'm moving out there without a job as I don't want to transfer within my current company).

A semi-decent area around L.A. means you're around the corner from thugs and their gangs. I agree with the other poster, for something around 150k you will wish you stayed where you are at.

150k here means you are in a 1 bedroom 600sqft back house in the ghetto or waaaay out in the desert!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM

2,518 posts, read 7,710,261 times
your research will quickly reveal that there is no housing at the price in the LA area. even in the WORST neighborhoods, prices are now dropping into the $300K ballpark from housing-bubble highs of $400K or more. they'll go back up to that level before you will ever see a $100K house in LA that isn't a tear-down.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 6,074,986 times
Hi StacyLee. What BRinSM is saying is that you'll not find a home within 30-miles of downtown Los Angeles, in an area that you would want to live in, for $100-150K.

A quick search pulls up far too many articles about Median Costs in LA, many outside that 30 mile window by the way. But, for the sake of argument, here's a link to Median prices from Feb 2007. Of course, the median price has fallen. However, if you look at these medians and reduced them by even 50% (which is ridiculous by the way) you'll still only find a handful that will fall into your range. Also, remember, you'll need great credit and 20% down to qualify for a good 30-yr fixed rate mortgage.

Feb 2007 Median Prices

Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Hi StacyLee. What BRinSM is saying is that you'll not find a home within 30-miles of downtown Los Angeles, in an area that you would want to live in, for $100-150K.

A quick search pulls up far too many articles about Median Costs in LA, many outside that 30 mile window by the way. But, for the sake of argument, here's a link to Median prices from Feb 2007. Of course, the median price has fallen. However, if you look at these medians and reduced them by even 50% (which is ridiculous by the way) you'll still only find a handful that will fall into your range. Also, remember, you'll need great credit and 20% down to qualify for a good 30-yr fixed rate mortgage.

Feb 2007 Median Prices
Thanks for the link!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link!
I ought to look at my own info. Here's the most recent data from Dataquick

Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,169,303 times
Quote:
If I can find a small house for $100-150k (obviously depending on where I look and the value of the house) and have a mortgage of $900-1000 a month...
There aren't any houses at that price, at least not any that wouldn't require a couple hundred thousand dollars to get livable. Okay maybe an outhouse, 8 square feet, one hole.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM

As you move forward, here are some additional things you'll need to consider. You'll need probably $33,000 for a down payment on the $150K home, assuming you don't roll points and fees into your mortgage. Property taxes. They'll run you about another $125 per month on a $150K home. Gas, electric, water, sewer, phone and cable will set you back, at least, another $125/mo, even in a tiny home. Chances are you'll be able to find a reasonable apartment within reasonable distance from your job. The distance you'd have to travel from a home of that value to work in LA would be insane and raise your fuel costs.

So, there's a lot more to owning than simply equating a rent payment with a mortgage payment. I know you know this, but I can't emphasize it enough to those considering their first home purchase. Sometimes it's just better to rent for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles