Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,376 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am slowly taking on the responsibility of managing my dad's apartment building in Highland Park. I have tenants that are dumping their old furniture by my dumpster instead of calling the city to pick it up. I don't know who in particular is doing it and I'm open to any suggestions as to what I can do. I was thinking of posting a notice, but I'm not sure of what I can legally say in the notice and how I can give it to each tenant.

P.S. I'm taking a taking a class which will certify me as an apartment manager this week, is their any other classes or seminars that anyone has found useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviecat79 View Post
I have tenants that are dumping their old furniture by my dumpster instead of calling the city to pick it up. ..... I'm open to any suggestions as to what I can do.
Are you sure they are your tenants?

If so, would you be comfortable asking them not to do it and perhaps suggesting that there is a service (as you wrote) that will process this old furniture?

If you wouldn't be comfortable, then I'm not sure I know what to do other than calling the city sanitation department for advice. You'd probably need some sort of evidence to file a complaint...not sure. You might have to haul it away yourself.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
I agree with Charles that there's a possibility that the dumpers may not be the tenants at all. You should make an attempt to educate your tenants in a friendly and non-accusatory way, perhaps by mass mailing them all with an update about furniture appearing in the dumpster and asking their cooperation that if they see somebody doing it they should get a license plate and description of the vehicle and either report to landlord or other suitable authority. Then take the opportunity to add an explanation that if the tenants themselves have any furniture to dispose of they should call the city, and tell them how to do that.

One problem though, is that the city may not pick it up if you are not served by city garbage trucks. (I'm not informed in this area.) In any case you can call the city and find out if they will pick up furniture from your apartment address, and where to put the items to be picked up. Try it once with something left in your dumpsters, by moving the item yourself to the designated pick up spot. Then use that information in your tenant notice.

Remember to be very careful in how you word the notice. You don't want to talk down to them and you don't want to accuse them of being the dumpers. You can skirt around that and supply the necessary information without making accusations.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Send a memo to all the tenants. It may not be them like others have stated, but it probably is.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviecat79 View Post
Hi, I am slowly taking on the responsibility of managing my dad's apartment building in Highland Park. I have tenants that are dumping their old furniture by my dumpster instead of calling the city to pick it up. I don't know who in particular is doing it and I'm open to any suggestions as to what I can do. I was thinking of posting a notice, but I'm not sure of what I can legally say in the notice and how I can give it to each tenant.

P.S. I'm taking a taking a class which will certify me as an apartment manager this week, is their any other classes or seminars that anyone has found useful?
Call 311 and they will route you.

The tenant will generally discard items they don't want into or next to the dumpster. Thats just the way it has been and will always be. If its not your tenants, you have a security problem and need to install a security gate to limit access to the parking & common areas.

renters are renters & generally don't want any kind of responsibility with regards to maintaining the premises. Like the other poster said, you can send a notice or post a friendly note with the telephone #, but it most likely wont work. They are afraid of being charged. If the bldg is littered each day and upkeep is becoming a time issue with you, find a responsible unit owner and pay them to sweep and keep the place up/make the calls. If you do hire someone, get a contract with him/her as to the duties and get work comp insurance.

The Apartment Owner's Association of greater Los Angeles AOA, is worth looking into. It's inexpensive to join, and they provide free services such as legal assistance and various forms, magazines etc. There are seminars and conventions each year. All usefull stuff for property owners.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
My theory is, if you bring furniture in, it's their responsbility to take it with them.

Is your dumper in an alley? If so, it could be someone down the street.

If you have City pick-up (or private) - call them for an extra pick-up and the price is minimal.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:44 AM

33 posts, read 44,479 times
my tenants throw old furniture on the front house on the street which city does not allow and will fine.
is there any standard temple/memo/letter I could use to write them? If just verbally tell them, they will not do anything.
thanks

Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Just curious, as they are leaving it by the designated "trash" area and not just discarding it anywhere on the property, why can't you just have it disposed of by the appropriate service in your area? As the building manager, would it be such a big chore for you?
They seem to be respecting the rules by placing it near the trash receptacles. If I were your tenant and you took care of removing the items I would be extremely appreciative.
A little good will goes a long way. Maybe instead of a memo that sounds punitive it would be more helpful if you sent a memo asking that they inform you when they need large items removed before placing them by the trash.
Just a thought.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:53 AM

399 posts, read 406,841 times
Security cameras would help as well. Put the building under surveillance. It'll make your tenants and outsiders at least think twice about doing shady things on the premises.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:54 PM

33 posts, read 44,479 times
Default tenants dump furniture to where they want

actually there are special place to dump their trash, they just want to put old furniture on the main street to see whether some people take it for free to save the tenants to move away.
I told them no anything on street, they just do not want to move big furniture to where to be supposed to be moved.
headache
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles