Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,863,037 times

Advertisements

That's what I don't understand,if people can't afford to live in L.A,they shouldn't move there in the first place.

It is true that many people with the $$$$ are replacing those that are leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You are totally right on this. I think that is why you hear about so many people who "lived in LA" but moved out who bad mouth us. These are the folks that couldnt cut it living here so they moved back to wherever they were from and now they are upset.

I always get a chuckle out of the posts here that say "Im moving to Los Angeles but can only afford about $500 per month rent, and I want to live in West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica or Studio City". Its these types of people who end up hating it here really because they'r dreams didnt come to fruition now they moved back "home" and are bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,909,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
It is true that many people with the $$$$ are replacing those that are leaving.
Only in some areas and it really only applies to homeowners only. There will always be people moving here who want to get into showbiz (music, movies, television, production, etc) and they are the one's who tend to get here, struggle, get jaded, then move back home and say bad things about L.A. They are the ones who all want to live in the nicest areas because of what they see on TV but really can only afford Reseda and Van Nuys.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,566,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Whenever I talk about LA to people who once lived in LA, I get the same opinion that LA is getting trashed. I honestly think so too being an ex-LA resident... born and raised... but now living in San Diego. That place has changed so much. Of course for the better in some ways, and it is still a fun place, but it seems more and more polluted, very brown, lots more dangerous neighborhoods and more graffiti. What do you guys think? Is this just my biased opinion after living in clean San Diego?
It;s cause you came to SD where everyone is all "anti-pollution" and all that other nonsense;plus SD wants a clean city.The more graffiti thing has to be true.It's all over LA now,wasn't like that 5 years ago.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,160,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
It;s cause you came to SD where everyone is all "anti-pollution" and all that other nonsense;plus SD wants a clean city.The more graffiti thing has to be true.It's all over LA now,wasn't like that 5 years ago.
that sounds like complete nonsense to me. I remember crossing the orange curtain into LA in the late 80s and early 90s and graffiti was much worse then. I've also been told by numerous people ***** are 20+ years older than me that smog in LA has drastically been reduced. I remember smog alert days faintly as a child, but my dad told me that they used to get them all the time when he was a kid in LA and OC.

Regarding the comments relating to SD, SD as a whole is much cleaner than LA, I don't think anyone would disagree with this. I was unaware however that everyone in SD is all "anti-pollution". I actually would believe that people in LA are more environmentally conscious, there are Priuses everywhere here on the westside. I see dozens daily. I visit SD every couple of months and hardly see any there.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,566,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
that sounds like complete nonsense to me. I remember crossing the orange curtain into LA in the late 80s and early 90s and graffiti was much worse then. I've also been told by numerous people ***** are 20+ years older than me that smog in LA has drastically been reduced. I remember smog alert days faintly as a child, but my dad told me that they used to get them all the time when he was a kid in LA and OC.

Regarding the comments relating to SD, SD as a whole is much cleaner than LA, I don't think anyone would disagree with this. I was unaware however that everyone in SD is all "anti-pollution". I actually would believe that people in LA are more environmentally conscious, there are Priuses everywhere here on the westside. I see dozens daily. I visit SD every couple of months and hardly see any there.
Well I did say "5 years ago"
And yes the pollution is way down.LA is never really number one anymore,I was just trying to make a statement.Well not everyone in SD is,I'm clearly one of those who just doesn't believe in it because that is not the way I was raised.I was sort of raised around pollution and things like that.So changing the world to make it "less polluted" is something I find to be B.S.But yeah there is a lot down here too.A lot of my friends are doing that "going green" crap and great for them,that's just something I don't believe in and I like living my life like this.It's what suits me.LA might have more.It's a CA thing.I went to Pittsburgh last year and the mills are still running all over the place,no one seems to care.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 PM

303 posts, read 845,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
L.A(California) has the Good and the Bad Points,but most of it in my opinion is Good
Same with my opinion!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,629,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
But as those people move out, its the people that can make it that are moving in, such as I. And these people are usually the professionals, the big money seekers, the entrepenours. People that'll be investing millions of dollars into the economy. Look at the changes downtown is making.
What are the trends? Are the increases in California population at different income (and tax paying) levels an overall producer or consumer of state revenue? Does every $200K+ income newcomer offset the 50 sub $20K income families with four kids? Are $50K to $100K families moving in or out?

The New Migration Equation - Brookings Institution

Forum - Why is California's Middle Class Deteriorating?

Paul Kedrosky: California: Schwarzenegger's $14-billion Deficit (http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2008/01/08/california_schw.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles