Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 03:49 PM

34 posts, read 37,277 times

Advertisements

I'm really curious. I'd really like to move out there, with the possibly of buying a house in the future, but as I look through the listings on Zillow, I really am being turned off by the idea.

$2-3 million for like quarter of an acre with neighbors right up your ass? I don't know about that.

But anyways, genuinely, why is LA so expensive? Is it because its one of the premier destinations in the country? Gateway to Hollywood? The ocean? All the above?

Really curious here ahha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 04:32 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Why can't California build affordable housing:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...ant-build.html

Old 06-08-2021, 05:51 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
I'm really curious. I'd really like to move out there, with the possibly of buying a house in the future, but as I look through the listings on Zillow, I really am being turned off by the idea.

$2-3 million for like quarter of an acre with neighbors right up your ass? I don't know about that.

But anyways, genuinely, why is LA so expensive? Is it because its one of the premier destinations in the country? Gateway to Hollywood? The ocean? All the above?

Really curious here ahha.
The ocean, combined with warm weather sans humidity.

Still can drive to snow skiing for a weekend.

Big diverse population allows for the potential of lots of different types of businesses to make it (lots to do, lots of different kinds of restaurants, etc.).

Different types of outdoor terrain.....flat land, mountains, water.

Have to worry about earthquakes and landslides but......tornados, hurricanes, regular snow in populated areas, regular flooding, sleet, ice storms, etc........not so much .

Water is too cold to suit me (I lived within blocks or a few miles from the beach for the better part of a decade), but I still enjoyed walking on the beach and listening to the waves (for swimming, I prefer the temperature of the water of the Gulf re beaches in Florida).

Culture and weather helps foster fitness for those who need a nudge.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 PM

335 posts, read 356,521 times
Same reasons you want to move to LA…it’s a desirable place to live for many.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:20 PM

23 posts, read 34,847 times
Having lived in LA for the last 10 years and having seriously considered moving I've thought a lot about what keeps me here, there certainly are some negatives but some of the positives - it just has so much to offer, different landscapes, different climates nearby but near perfect weather a lot of the time, a vast amount of outdoor activities, many business opportunities and so many great places to visit within a few hours drive (big bear, Mammoth, Yosemite, San Diego, OC, Central Cali etc etc). And of course that great big body of water - the pacific, take a drive along the PCH and tell me that's not hard to beat.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:57 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Very simple. Supply and Demand. Since WWII, SoCal has drawn people to live here until it eventually grew so large that the economic opportunities became the overwhelming draw. New housing construction has not kept pace with the rate of immigration.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-10-2021, 11:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Very simple. Supply and Demand. Since WWII, SoCal has drawn people to live here until it eventually grew so large that the economic opportunities became the overwhelming draw. New housing construction has not kept pace with the rate of immigration.
Starting in the late 1960' and expanding into the 1970's retirees with pensions started to move to CA. Then Military, Aerospace and Even Car MFG started to develop leading to a lot of job openings. CA then was not expensive to live in and homes were very reasonable. My father bought a new home in about 1952 for $$7,500.00 in OC and bought one in Pasadena a couple of years before for less. Then things changed. This could not occur before as the people who were getting real pensions were too young and CA was not quite at a fast grow stage until after WWII and really not until the mid 1950's. Once people could move, they did.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:52 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
My father bought a new home in about 1952 for $$7,500.00 in OC and bought one in Pasadena a couple of years before for less. Then things changed.
Inflation adjusted today for 2021 is $76,187. Still far-cheaper in the 1950s than today.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Since the pandemic started, there have been maybe 10 days when it wasn't comfortable to be outside in normal clothes. Think about it...

Old 06-10-2021, 10:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Starting in the late 1960' and expanding into the 1970's retirees with pensions started to move to CA. Then Military, Aerospace and Even Car MFG started to develop leading to a lot of job openings. CA then was not expensive to live in and homes were very reasonable. My father bought a new home in about 1952 for $$7,500.00 in OC and bought one in Pasadena a couple of years before for less. Then things changed. This could not occur before as the people who were getting real pensions were too young and CA was not quite at a fast grow stage until after WWII and really not until the mid 1950's. Once people could move, they did.
I think your timing is a little off. Ford opened their first assembly plant in 1930, GM, theirs in 1936. The Douglas Aircraft Company was founded in Santa Monica in 1921; Northrop in 1928 in El Segundo, Martin Aviation in 1917 in Santa Ana, Lockheed 1912 in San Francisco and Kaiser moved to CA in 1923, from WA.

WWII did change CA, but the base for the change was already there. Because all these plants and industrialists were already in CA, they shifted to war time production and brought thousands of more people to CA. CA was also already also big with the U.S. military, especially the Navy. Naval aviation was born in Coronado CA. All the bases that were already in CA when WWII broke out blew up in size and more were added.

The retirees that moved into Sun City and like developments were mostly local retirees from all the above mentioned plants and military.

Throw in movies and TV showing people in CA all driving convertibles and fabulously tanned, the damned Rose Bowl that brought 60,000 Midwesterners in CA in Dec/Jan and they discovered they could wear shorts in Dec/Jan and the capper, the Gidget and Beach Party movies with the emergence of the Beach Boys. Suddenly everybody wanted to grab that golden lifestyle.

The 1970's was the start of the decline, even as home prices zoomed.

What do you think when you see a beautiful bouquet of flowers? How beautiful? Aren't they lovely? I can't help thinking, "they are dead and don't even know it". That is CA in a nutshell.

CA gets closer and closer to the post apocalyptic "Escape from LA" every year. The rich buy $400,000,000 yachts and 767 airplanes and the poor can't afford a modest single family house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles