Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

The "Valley" in 10-15 years time will be a shadow of its former self. With the exception of a few select hillside areas as hold outs, the SFV will fall to the "white flight" pattern that a lot of LA has undergone. I can remember when the MAJORITY of the SFV was very lovely. And slowing but surely it is becoming a Third World catchall.
There never used to be violent crime reports coming out of the Valley but in the last few months there have been more news reports of shootings and other crimes in the Valley than in South or East LA. And it is such a shame. If I lived in the Valley I too wouldn't want to acknowledge or except that my area was changing for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM

81 posts, read 327,031 times
I don't know...I'm trying to stay positive, and consider with gas prices up and gentrification underway closer in, that maybe the reverse of white flight will continue to happen. it is much pricier to buy in the city now in areas that were considered bad neighborhoods, people are trying to come back to the city and a lot of it seems to be getting nicer.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When someone says that they live in Northridge they are saying that the live in an average(maybe very slightly above average) area. You are not going to get oohs and aahs and envious stares.
lol. Anyone here get "oohs and aahs" when the state where they live?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree with many of the other posters on here who believe cities like Northridge and Granada Hills are nice places to live. There are very few cities left in the san fernando valley that are "nice" anymore. Only Encino, Woodland Hills, Chatsworth, Calabasas, and any communities up against the hills are nice. And of course going farther north up the 101 fwy, everything up there is nice (Simi Valley, Westlake Village, etc.). When deciding on which city to live in here, you must look 10, 15, 20 years into the future, for the bad areas continuously move outward, and more and more cities will become like Reseda. Avoid Sherman Oaks and Northridge completely because of this, as they will be like Van Nuys in 15 years. Go farther east, like to Calabasas or even as far as Oak Park. Those places are too far out to be touched by the spread of the bad areas.
In other states the price of gas has dropped the value of the outlying areas like a rock. In LA, closer-in areas will always retain their value because of the cost of the commute.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The "Valley" in 10-15 years time will be a shadow of its former self. With the exception of a few select hillside areas as hold outs, the SFV will fall to the "white flight" pattern that a lot of LA has undergone. I can remember when the MAJORITY of the SFV was very lovely. And slowing but surely it is becoming a Third World catchall.
I'm going to have to agree with you. I expect to be either gone or in the process of leaving by 2012 at the latest. Buh bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
In other states the price of gas has dropped the value of the outlying areas like a rock. In LA, closer-in areas will always retain their value because of the cost of the commute.
And that is why Northridge will continue to be a good deal, because it's centrally located to jobs and shopping.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:03 PM

[quote=Lovehound;4023634]I'm going to have to agree with you. I expect to be either gone or in the process of leaving by 2012 at the latest. Buh bye.

Don't be disappointed when you experience those same neighborhood transformations in other parts of the US.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Don't be disappointed when you experience those same neighborhood transformations in other parts of the US.
Exactly. What happened to Van Nuys has happened to other similar places all over the United States. Places like this are called "inner suburbs" and many of them are currently experiencing neglect and decay as the inner city did decades ago. Yes, it's very unfortunate, but why do people on this forum act like this is anything unique to LA? Like you said, it's happening everywhere.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Sherman Oaks or Encino becoming anything like Van Nuys in the near future. And maybe it's because I moved here from some place else, but I don't even think Van Nuys is that bad. Yes, it has crime problems and is quite trashy and ugly, but I don't feel uneasy going there, as I would if I were to drive through Compton.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:23 PM

23 posts, read 103,784 times
How did San Fernando get to be 90% Hispanic? On the map it looks like it is in or up against the mountains where the price of homes would prohibit low paid Latinos from buyin/rrenting them? Jusst curious. Laquest

Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
How did San Fernando get to be 90% Hispanic? On the map it looks like it is in or up against the mountains where the price of homes would prohibit low paid Latinos from buyin/rrenting them? Jusst curious. Laquest

The San Fernando Valley is a just that....a valley. There is a large expanse of flat land that lies in between the hills/mountains. When the middle class Whites who inhabited those areas in the 40s - 80s/90s moved into Ventura County and beyond, Latinos (not quite 90%...yet) moved into those areas. The Valley has been a victim of the White flight vacuum scenario. Certain residents in more affluent parts of the SFV simply are in denial that the Valley has become or will become like areas such as Compton, Pacoima, Sunland, etc. SFV residents who don't believe this haven't spent any time driving through Tujunga or Panorama City...these areas already resemble Tijuana.

The recent shootings that have occured on or near Ventura Blvd are a testament to the fact the the SFV has definitely changed for the worst. And while "Jose" and "Maria" may never be able to afford a house in the West Hills, it doesn't mean that they aren't able to drive into those neighborhoods, shop in those grocery store or hangout in parks in those areas, etc. I'm quite sure that 15-20 years ago, the residents of Van Nuys and Panorana City never thought that they would see the current massive influx of Latinos that has taken place.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
How did San Fernando get to be 90% Hispanic?
One possibility is the presence of the mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles