U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times

Advertisements

When we first started recycling I dumbly tried to turn in my glass bottles for cash. I discovered that you only get paid for bottles that have a deposit, or at least at the places I tried (supermarket associated recyclers).

Fast forward several years... I sometimes get annoyed at the homeless people pushing their carts through my neighborhood taking the bottles etc. out of our L.A. blue recycling containers. It's against the law and it deprives the City of some of its revenue. Consider that we are charged for trash pick-up, that the city makes money off selling recyclables, that their income thus derived offsets some of the fees, so the people stealing the bottles are indirectly causing our waste disposal fees to go up. Besides that it looks unhealthy that digging in everybody's trash cans, and I believe the shopping cart people are an undesirable element in our city who wouldn't be here if they didn't support themselves by digging in our trash.

But I digress...

Sometimes I've told the shopping cart people that I didn't throw away bottles with deposits so they might as well move on. Last week I had such a conversation, and then peeked in my recycle container and noticed all the glass bottles were gone! Either that shopping cart guy or another one had removed all the non-deposit glass bottles from my trash.

Well I'm not mad, but if they can sell my bottles why shouldn't I sell my own bottles instead? Am I throwing away good money? I wouldn't mind accumulating all my glass bottles and then recycling them once or twice a month. Better I should get the money than some bum.

So my question, can you get cash in Los Angeles for turning in no-deposit bottles? And if so, where?

(San Fernando Valley specific locations requested.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM

190 posts, read 458,964 times
You are kidding, right? How much are you willing to spend in gas to deliver your glass bottle to a recycling center?
If anyone wants to dumpster dive for my bottles, knock yourself out.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM

What makes you think I'm going to use any gas at all? All I have to do is wait until I have some other errand that takes me past the recycling place. After all, there must be one within shopping cart pushing distance, right?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,564,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What makes you think I'm going to use any gas at all? All I have to do is wait until I have some other errand that takes me past the recycling place. After all, there must be one within shopping cart pushing distance, right?
i buy bottled water by the case, and return my own recyclables. the refund i receive for three or four cases pays for the next one.

the official state recycling centers will accept non-CRV glass and plastic, but you won't be paid for them. there are independent recycling drop-offs that will pay by the pound for glass and plastic with no redemption value, but i don't bother with that.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
I bought a separate 50-gallon (or whatever the size is, I'm too lazy to check) that I use exclusively for storing empty beer bottles for future recycling. I keep it in the garage out of sight...

Maybe you could try that?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

I got into a conversation with the attendant of my local supermarket's recycling center--difficult because of my poor Spanish and his poor English--but we started talking about how clueless I was because I hadn't been there in so long he had to explain how the procedure works, which stuff to put in which can, etc. I explained that I hardly ever drink soft drinks or beer, so it had been a year or two since I last visited, with only about a dozen containers to turn in. He asked me what I drank, and I said mostly wine. He said, "we take all beverage bottles, although we pay less for those without CRV."

I kept my wine bottles over the next 8-10 days and just turned them in today, and got 78 cents for 8 bottles, almost a dime each!!!

Of course I'm not going to get rich turning in my wine bottles for recycling, but the recycling center is in the alley behind my usual supermarket, and I've got a recycling container in my garage I can toss them in, so from now on I'm saving my bottles and turning them in for $$$. I'll wait longer than this last time and have more bottles to turn in each time so I won't waste 10 minutes for less than a buck.

So my mystery is solved, why the trash divers are taking the glass bottles. They could be getting $2-$3 each at some houses, and a fully loaded shopping cart plus outlying bags could quite possibly be worth even $100, if it's mixed glass plus CRVs.

I think the trash divers are making more money than most of us realize, although of course I'm not going to get my own cart and hit the neighborhood for bottles. I think it makes sense to turn in my own though.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
glass doesnt pay as much as aluminum. neither does paper or carton. you needs tons of that to make any real money.

the good money is in aluminum.

the only thing we really throw in the blue bin is the news paper and milk gallons and other hard plastics (detergent bottles, etc). we keep the glass, break it up and have it in an old tin trash can (caveat: it can get heavy). when its time, we take it to the recycler. theyve never given us a problem of it being non crv, but they do prefer that it be seperated by color. clear with clear, dark with dark, etc. it gets tricky when you get to the heinis and other colored beer bottles.

as for the dumpster divers. i have no problem with them. id rather they do that than sit idly by pan handling, or robbing. besides most of the trash diggers bypass my street because they know that most people on my street recycle.

actually i thought everyone did this, if not for the environment, for the few extra bucks it yields.

and as for estimates on income from recycling... the LA times had an article a few months back and the woman they shadowed made a meager earning compared to the hours she put in. its not as highly paid as some foolishly think.

i would also like to add that i make the kids recycle. my father made me, and now i make them. they get to keep the earnings. it think it instills a good work ethic in the kids. they dont get an allowance by the way. they need to work for what i give them.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
Collector scavenges to survive in Pasadena - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

51 posts, read 234,951 times
You can return everything including paper, glass electronics here:
Recycling Center
Glendale Recycling Center
540 W. Chevy Chase Dr.
Glendale, CA 91204

(818) 552-2870
Hours:
Mon-Fri 7:30am - 4:45pm
Saturday 8 am - 3:45 pm

Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM

557 posts, read 1,604,595 times
I have always saved my aluminum cans. I smash them with a can smashing contraption and when a couple of trash cans are full (takes more than a year) we take them to a recycle place. Last time we got nearly $90. After reading this thread maybe I'll start saving plastic water bottles and other crv items and take them in more often. Every five bucks is an extra gallon of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles