Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM

18 posts, read 50,839 times

Advertisements

i'm not saying it's a bad place... i love la.....

eternal sunshine and happy people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,410 times
I want to relocate to LA too. I am doing research. I have a lot of belonings and I have to move from the east coast. I do not have a lot of money. LA cannot possible be any worse and depressing as Philadephia is. Is anyone able to compare the two cities? I went to LA on vacation last year but I never lived there. I am a writer but I am interested in all areas of entertainment. Comments welcome, thank you.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,410 times
I loved LA especially Santa Monica. I am so bored with my life here and I need to make a change. But I don't want to regret my move. I don't want to give up my possessions and then regret it later. RSVP

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,809 times
Smile Life is to short. Ask yourself whats most important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuality View Post
I want to relocate to LA too. I am doing research. I have a lot of belonings and I have to move from the east coast. I do not have a lot of money. LA cannot possible be any worse and depressing as Philadephia is. Is anyone able to compare the two cities? I went to LA on vacation last year but I never lived there. I am a writer but I am interested in all areas of entertainment. Comments welcome, thank you.
I am a nyc native who currently lives in Rittenhouse square for almost 3 years. I never really ventured out of Center City but judging from the news Philly is pretty messed up. I want to leave here too.i to want to move to So Cal. I have never lived there but I have spent a great deal of time out there with my hubby for work. Sometimes i have spent up to 5 weeks at a time there.It was usualy 2-3 weeks at a time though. I did spend most of my time in the OC but we often went do to Hollywood on weekends I believe it would be a great move but it will take some adjustment. You seemed to need a car there. In philly thats not the case. I have *everything* right outside my door. The weather is nicer. The rents are pretty much the same as center city rents however it may be more expensive then the rest of Philadelphia. It is really up to you. You have to ask yourself what is it you want out of life. The truth is I *love* city living. I love the walkable nieghborhoods the convience the the theatre, museums, you name it. LA has that stuff to its is just a *little different. I would like to give it a try. For me at this stage of my life I want nice weather with different ammenities like the beach.I know it would be the same but I'm ready for it. The one thing I am reallyy worried about is having to drive everywhere. We keep a car in the city but my husband is the one who drives. i usually walk or cab it!
as far as it being as depressing as Philly is i can't say. I would say that LA seems to be the type of place that you'd feel depressed if you were really struggling with the finances. NY is that way too.I would venture to say all big cities are hard to live in when you are broke. One thing philly seems to have is middle class nieghborhoods that are relatively safe & affordable. I have friends that live outside of the City for reasonable prices. it seems like in LA to live in a Safe nieghborhood you spend about 1200 per month. i think the only time philly's prices matches LA's is when you decide to live in these luxury buildings in CC. In LA 2000 per month seems to be able to get you a place in a upscale neighborhood for place with amentities. This is what it is to live in CC in a building w/ amentities. People complain about the crime In LA but Philly leads larges cites in the murder rate I believe so if you are not living in a safe nieghborhood here that ask yourself is worth it to you to trade it for a west coast hood that isn't perfect. I hope my babble helped you. I am getting kinda tired so I may have not explained my thoughts too well. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Okay, I'm going to say something positive! (drum roll. . .)

Emily, if she has a pleasant speaking voice with a noticable British accent, can probably find work easily in the entertainment business, where British accented employees add a certain cachet in their rarified environment. That is a plus for her, the certainty of work. I just hope she can earn a sufficient amount in the starter positions to afford to live in a safer neighborhood on the Westside.

My apologies to Emma for calling her Emily! Go for those jobs where they like British accents, see above.
Hi guys..

sorry to bombard emily's post, but i am also from the UK, Scotland actually and I am moving to LA next year to start work in the entertainment industry. I was having a read at the posts and saw the above (see quote) I know you guys like the accents we have but would that really get me the head forward for a job, i have experience in entertainment in PR so it was a good post to read, and encouraging, however is it true??

Im 24 and moving with a friend for 5mths and was looking at apartments in Culver City, Venice and Santa Monica.. are these areas nice and it is easy to get to the heart of LA from these areas, travel time? what kind of people live there??

Thanks Guys

Gill

Old 06-14-2008, 06:05 AM

37 posts, read 149,385 times
Much of Venice can be a rough area to live, even though much of it is sooo expensive. There still is a crime problem there. Having said that - Main st in Venice is one of my favorite places - many shops one can walk to.
Santa Monica is quite nice, north of route 10, but also very expensive - think 2500-3000 for a two bedroom apt.

Culver city might be your best bet.

You will need to have a car.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,931 times
I have been now looking at west hollywood, hollywood hills, studio city, century city, san fernando...

what is best??

Do any of these areas have british ex-pack area?

I dont mind paying up to $2000 for a two bed.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Hi im Amy and im in the same position as Emma!

Im 18 and want to move to L.A next year with two of my friends and wanted to find some information out before i went ahead with it.
I can see some of you are saying L.A isnt really all that but im from London and i can truly say i think anywhere is better than here.
I wanted to go to L.A and be a Beauty Therapist and i wanted to hear if i would have a good chance of getting an job as a beauty therapist, is beauty big in L.A?

Be very greatful if someone could help me!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,346 times
Hi!
My name is Lisa, I want to move to America with my partner and 3 children, I was thinking of LA but reading all your posts it doesnt seem like such a good idea now. Can anyone advice me on which places near LA (or not) would be a good place to live for a 24 year old girl with three children aged 5,4 and 3 with her partner?? Iam currently doing a BSc Honors in Psychology and was thinking of trying to get a job in that field, (Iam also doing a certificate in business studies and an advanced diploma in counselling).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Lisa

Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Link to basic info on what's required for the U.S. to be willing to entertain the idea of Brits moving here. Not as easy as many think and not possible at all for some:

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

There's a great visa forum also on that site for more specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles