U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,362,127 times

Advertisements

L.A. red light cameras clicking for safety or revenue? - Los Angeles Times

Saw this story, I'm like...what?? I always thought a right turn on red was legal (at least in LA county). As long as you come to a full stop, with no pedestrians. No oncoming traffic.

I see people do it all the time. I've seen it done in front of police officers, they don't give tickets. Have they fudged the laws to make more money? Seems like they're really stretching things....ticketing someone at 6 am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,531,992 times
it is legal if you first come to a complete stop.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM

14,693 posts, read 9,838,817 times
It is legal unless there is a sign that says "No Right Turn on Red"...I always look to make sure that sign is not present before I make a right turn on a red light.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,506,368 times
Unless posted otherwise, it is legal to make a right turn on a red light if:

1) It is safe to do so
2) You come to a complete stop before beginning the right turn
3) You are turning from the right hand lane of one street into the right hand lane of the street you are turning onto, unless there are multiple right turn lanes, in which case you turn into the same lane you were turning out of.

If all of these conditions are met, then the right turn is legal, otherwise it is not.
Rolling or "California" stops, where a car doesn't actually stop completely, are not legal when the light is red.

People in California seem to be confused about which lane they can legally turn into, as well. When making a right turn, you can only turn into the right lane, unless, as stated above, there are multiple right turn lanes. People making left turns can turn into any available lane, but must yield to oncoming traffic (including those turning right), unless there is a green left turn arrow, or the light has turned red while they were in the intersection.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,918,739 times
yes you have to make a complete stop, BUT it has to be before the crosswalk. most people stop in the crosswalk when making a right turn, usually because we want to get a better angle to check for on coming traffic. the best thing to do is

approach red light slowly.
check for signage(no turn on red, etc)
stop BEFORE the cross walk(count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi...)
check for pedestrians/humans.
ease a lil past the cross walk and check for on coming traffic to make sure its clear to proceed
lastly, make sure the light aint turn green while waiting
because if someone happens to be in the crosswalk, even on the other side, they will get you.

simple steps to follow in order to avoid pedestrians/bicyclists (which come out of nowhere sometimes), accidents and of course Infractions.

good luck

Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM

5,112 posts, read 12,032,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes you have to make a complete stop, BUT it has to be before the crosswalk. most people stop in the crosswalk when making a right turn, usually because we want to get a better angle to check for on coming traffic. the best thing to do is

approach red light slowly.
check for signage(no turn on red, etc)
stop BEFORE the cross walk(count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi...)
check for pedestrians/humans.
ease a lil past the cross walk and check for on coming traffic to make sure its clear to proceed
lastly, make sure the light aint turn green while waiting
because if someone happens to be in the crosswalk, even on the other side, they will get you.

simple steps to follow in order to avoid pedestrians/bicyclists (which come out of nowhere sometimes), accidents and of course Infractions.

good luck
this is correct, and the la times article(i read the paper this morning) illustrates how they determine if you're running the red light as well, and stopping at the big white line before the crosswalk is the key

Last edited by bhcompy; 06-29-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM

830 posts, read 1,840,399 times
Yep. It's not just LA either.

When I was in Dallas, there was a school zone near my house. I guess a lot of people ran one of the stop signs, so cops would sit out there in plain view right at the corner. If you didn't stop before the white line they would ticket you.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,362,127 times
What suprised was that almost everyone stops before making a right turn. You almost have to....with oncoming traffic, pedestrians, with some streets you can't see the oncoming traffic because of trucks, buses, or cars parked on the street, blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

As you're approaching an intersection and there are no pedestrians, its seems like it'd be easy to stop in the crosswalk, or maybe 1/4 in, to get a better angle to look to your left. Maybe that's how they got the people in the story.

I was trying to visualize not stopping at all on a red light, it seems like it could happen only on a very light street, with little traffic.

Or, you wouldn't run a red light, just to make a right hand turn. I don't think I've ever seen that.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,531,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
What suprised was that almost everyone stops before making a right turn. You almost have to....with oncoming traffic, pedestrians, with some streets you can't see the oncoming traffic because of trucks, buses, or cars parked on the street, blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

As you're approaching an intersection and there are no pedestrians, its seems like it'd be easy to stop in the crosswalk, or maybe 1/4 in, to get a better angle to look to your left. Maybe that's how they got the people in the story.

I was trying to visualize not stopping at all on a red light, it seems like it could happen only on a very light street, with little traffic.

Or, you wouldn't run a red light, just to make a right hand turn. I don't think I've ever seen that.
yes, they get people who don't come to a complete stop...early morning/late night, when there is no cross traffic at all. i always stop, but i see many who do not when there is little traffic on the streets.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:22 PM

305 posts, read 540,964 times
The law is you must stop at the red light. Then, if it is safe, and no one is in the crosswalk, you may turn right. UNLESS there is a sign that says "no right turn on red".

The slide thru anything is a "California stop" and it is a moving violation. I have done a million if them and have now just .Dont do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles