U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 12:55 PM

5,124 posts, read 10,721,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
No Ocean here but there’s rivers, ponds, and lakes. I hung out at the Boise River today. As long as there’s water I’m fine. No need for a Ocean …….and the parkings free
Dude. Shh.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 05:14 PM

12,936 posts, read 8,950,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Dude. Shh.....
I can park at the beach here in California free, too. Shh.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:09 AM

236 posts, read 467,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I retired at the end of 2017 after working most of my career in the SF East Bay area and Orange County. I was a renter most of the time. Since retirement, I've split my time between renting an apartment in Tucson, AZ and in Germany. A few months ago, I got fed up with the apartment in Tucson due to noise and moved the handful of stuff I had to a storage unit, and sold my car. I moved back to an apartment in Chemnitz, Germany where I lived previously from mid 2020 to Sept. 2021.

My apartment in Germany is fully furnished and equipped, so all I brought here were a couple of suitcases of mostly clothes. It is very nice, comfortable and very quiet - cost including all utilities, cable TV and internet wifi is less than $700 per month. That is a fraction of what it would cost me to rent in the SF Bay area, Orange County or most other nice places in CA. It is even less than cost of living in Tucson (for me)! I don't need a car here, so I walk, bike ride or use public transit and trains, which are very good.

I'll probably stay here in Germany a few years - there are a lot of places in Europe I'd like visit and my home base here is almost in the middle of Europe. It is certainly easier than the dreadful thought of trying to take a long trans-Atlantic trip.
Do you have EU citizenship? A retirement VISA? Just wondering how you are able to stay in Germany for that long? My wife and I are interested in retirement to Europe. BTW, I grew up in Tucson haha. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2022, 07:17 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,473,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Somewhere on the West Coast.
Which state? Do you plan to or hope to stay in California, or are you considering Oregon? Washington?

Originally Posted by Finper "Are you thinking of moving out of state or out of the area?"

Old 07-07-2022, 07:32 PM

9,308 posts, read 6,920,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
We moved to a suburb of Atlanta. It’s not that we couldn’t afford L.A., but we just didn’t want to anymore. We were tired of the commutes and high cost of pretty much everything. The gas, homes, valet parking, tipping, parking in general, taxes, mental illness/homelessness, trash . California was home for close to a decade for us— but honestly the biggest thing I miss about L.A. is our friends and el flamin (street tacos) in Koreatown.

We also have had several friends move out as well, with most moving to Phoenix, Vegas, Dallas, Austin and back to Chicago.

We weren’t originally from California so that made it easier for us to relocate. We chose Atlanta area for the weather, large Korean population and affordability.

California is beautiful, but we had no family ties keeping us there that was worth the sacrifices.
I’m here in Marietta just down the road for you. California offers a lot, but there are some trade offs and people just need to decide what works best for them. I do miss some friends and some of the places I would drive to and a few restaurants, but for me coming to the south was a life changer for the better.
I spent 57 years in California and will probably be here in Georgia for the rest of it.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:39 PM

3,446 posts, read 5,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I moved to Idaho not for the cost of things but for the stupid cost of things. 15 bucks to park my car at the beach. 20 to get in a club then 15 for a drink. Sky high gas prices. The only place in Idaho I’ve paid to pay to park is in parking structures and then it’s 3.00. I also didn’t like where my tax money was going to.

Btw are they still working on the 5 fwy??
Yep!!! LOL

Old 07-20-2022, 10:16 AM

8,670 posts, read 11,655,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m here in Marietta just down the road for you. California offers a lot, but there are some trade offs and people just need to decide what works best for them. I do miss some friends and some of the places I would drive to and a few restaurants, but for me coming to the south was a life changer for the better.
I spent 57 years in California and will probably be here in Georgia for the rest of it.
That was our experience moving to Huntsville, Alabama as well. We drove to Atlanta on weekends just for shopping & eating. We stay near your neighborhood, mostly Norcross, Dunwoody, and Alpharetta, depending which hotel is available. I use my points so they were basically free for us.

But at the end, it was family that pulled us back to California. That and great Asian and Mexican food were just icing on the cake. I missed the simple things from California such as the Mexican salsa with diced tomato, onions and jalapeno, etc. The east coast salsa looks like everything went through a blender.

Not sure where we will end up when I retired. Going back to Huntsville is always an option but I think I'd prefer a bigger city, so is staying in the LA area if the COL is not an issue. It's an interesting problem but we're glad that we have options.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:55 AM

4,216 posts, read 9,508,710 times
Ooops, I already posted above to this thread so I deleted the repeat entry.

Last edited by recycled; 07-20-2022 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2022, 11:29 AM

4,216 posts, read 9,508,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Do you have EU citizenship? A retirement VISA? Just wondering how you are able to stay in Germany for that long? My wife and I are interested in retirement to Europe. BTW, I grew up in Tucson haha. Thanks!
I am a US citizen, not EU citizen. I speak fluent German, thanks to spending 4 years here when I was in the US Army 1974-1978. I took intensive, advanced language classes and had a non-English speaking GF who was also a good German language teacher to me. I rarely speak English while living here now.

Germany does not have a retirement visa program, but they will grant a multi-year residence visa (aufenthaltserlaubnis) if you can prove good self supporting income and know the process. I learned the residence visa process from spending a lot of time here since 2018, It takes persistence and patience, and fluent German skills unless you hire a personal translator. You start the process here right after you arrive under the 90 day tourist visa, not in the US ahead of time.

You have to first get a lease on a place to live. Chemnitz has more vacant apartments and lower rental prices than anyplace in Germany, so easier to rent here than in Berlin or Munich. I found my current apartment in October 2020. Then you take the lease contract to the city residence registration office and register as an official city resident. You also have to get health insurance - probably the hardest thing. I was turned down for fully private health insurance plan for being over age 65. I finally got coverage under a government (or public) regulated health insurance plan offered by a private company. It costs 15 percent of my monthly net income. My rent is so cheap here, that the rent cost plus health insurance is still much less than rent in the USA.

Last step is to get the residence permit, after you do all of the above. This is obtained from the foreigner's office (Auslaenderamt) at the city office (or county office, if you live outside a big city). It takes 4 to 8 weeks.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:47 AM

9,308 posts, read 6,920,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
That was our experience moving to Huntsville, Alabama as well. We drove to Atlanta on weekends just for shopping & eating. We stay near your neighborhood, mostly Norcross, Dunwoody, and Alpharetta, depending which hotel is available. I use my points so they were basically free for us.

But at the end, it was family that pulled us back to California. That and great Asian and Mexican food were just icing on the cake. I missed the simple things from California such as the Mexican salsa with diced tomato, onions and jalapeno, etc. The east coast salsa looks like everything went through a blender.

Not sure where we will end up when I retired. Going back to Huntsville is always an option but I think I'd prefer a bigger city, so is staying in the LA area if the COL is not an issue. It's an interesting problem but we're glad that we have options.
Look me up if you are ever back here in the Atlanta Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles