Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 PM

34 posts, read 176,630 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, does anyone go to the Silver Lake Farmers' Market? I did a little research and people say that you can get good prices because you cut out the middle man... do you find that's true?

Does anyone know the exact streets the market is on? I've found websites that say it's on Sunset between Maltman and Edgecliff, but from my research on Flickr.com, I also suspect it's between on Griffith Park Blvd. between Edgecliff and Sunset... is that true?

Also, where do people typically park? As a soon-to-be resident, I'd like to know where people park to know if it causes a problem for residents (I can't believe people park only on Sunset, but also into the neighborhoods), as well as noise levels.

Any information would be much appreciated... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:08 AM

137 posts, read 601,339 times
In my opinion, I like the farmer's market off Sunset in Hollywood (on Sundays) much more. It is much larger and has a greater amount of vendors (They basically close off about 4 street lengths). Parking is free for an hour or so when you park at the ArcLight theater's structure -- you just need to get validated.

I try to do most of my shopping for vegetable/flowers at farmer's market -- It's been a habit of ours since we were in NYC and now LA where there are always farmer's markets available throughout the week. On average it is not only cheaper, but also much more fresh and obviously local -- plus many of the vendors sell only organic produce.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info LARenter! I still can't believe they actually close off Sunset Blvd... I know that Sat mornings aren't that busy, but Sunset seems like such a major thoroughfare - then again, I'm sure it's easy to find alternate routes.

From your experience, what's the Silver Lake Farmers' Market like? Just smaller?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 PM

422 posts, read 1,813,620 times
You are right, the street that is blocked off is Griffith Park Blvd where it splits off from Sunset. That creates a small triangle just north of Sunset where the vendors set up. It's a nice little farmers market but the selection is limited. I'm not sure how good their prices are. As previously posted, the Hollywood farmers market on Sunday is much bigger, and packs more entertainment punch too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 AM

So is the triangle Griffith Park, Sunset, and Edgecliff?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
You are right, the street that is blocked off is Griffith Park Blvd where it splits off from Sunset. That creates a small triangle just north of Sunset where the vendors set up. It's a nice little farmers market but the selection is limited. I'm not sure how good their prices are. As previously posted, the Hollywood farmers market on Sunday is much bigger, and packs more entertainment punch too.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM

422 posts, read 1,813,620 times
Yes, that's it. There's some grass and a fountain and a couple of tables in the median. Park on Sunset or side streets. It's not very disruptive. That stretch of the boulevard is pretty busy already.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Thank you CubanCoffee! I'm a little worried because we will be living kind of close to the market and I'm wondering where people typically park. I suppose since it's on the smaller side, it won't necessarily be as disruptive to our parking situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles