Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,186 times

Advertisements

What are some things about Los Angeles that you will never know until you live there? And I also like to lump OC in with LA. Is that gonna upset anyone? If so, what is the coolest term for the five county area, because I'd like to include the IE also, but not San Diego.

This is probably a good question for those of you who live or have lived in LA, but have also lived elsewhere so that you can tell the differences. So, what are some likes/dislikes about LA that you won't ever hear or read about? Don't tell me the weather is nice or it's expensive please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
So, what are some likes/dislikes about LA that you won't ever hear or read about?
People trying to lump the OC or IE in ANY conversation, writing, discussion or thought about Los Angeles. That is one of my main dislikes.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
What are some things about Los Angeles that you will never know until you live there?
Los Angeles isn't magical.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Life is full of surprises!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
What are some things about Los Angeles that you will never know until you live there? And I also like to lump OC in with LA. Is that gonna upset anyone? If so, what is the coolest term for the five county area, because I'd like to include the IE also, but not San Diego.

This is probably a good question for those of you who live or have lived in LA, but have also lived elsewhere so that you can tell the differences. So, what are some likes/dislikes about LA that you won't ever hear or read about? Don't tell me the weather is nice or it's expensive please!
won't tell you the weather is or isn't nice, I will say, it is probably a little more humid than you may think. No, it isn't like the east, the deep south or midwest, but it does have humidity...

No way can you imagine the traffic until you get there.
People are just like anywhere else, some really nice, some not so.
Hollywood is nothing like you might imagine
Some of the new shopping centers (strip ones) are absolutely beautiful.

OC isn't as diverse as Los Angeles County..Some areas, of course are more culturally diverse than others, but OC is pretty much middle class, white, educated, family oriented, just like any suburb of any major metropolitan area...It is still not Los Angeles and is different in many ways.

IE, totally different, hardly resembles Los Angeles. It is a mixture of mostly small towns with the exception of San Bernardino and a few others. I say small, small compared to Los Angeles, Long Beach etc. It is hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, slightly desert which may surprise some people.No it is not filled with orange groves (not anymore)

That is about all I have to add at this point. But, believe me, as someone said "life is filled with surprises" So Calif is no different..

Nita

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM

75 posts, read 207,191 times
I definitely agree with the others...Los Angeles is VERY different than both the OC and IE. Do not try to lump them together...they may be adjacent to one another but that doesn't mean they are alike.

One thing that was so funny to me was when my cousin came to visit and her and her friends wanted to go to Hollywood so badly...they were shocked at how ugly and dirty it was. They also kept waiting to see celebrities but no celebrities I know of hang out in that part of Hollywood. My cousins expected to come down and see this glamorous Hollywood Blvd. full of celebs. They were very disappointed.

The traffic for me wasn't so bad. We get pretty bad traffic up North and since I started in the OC and then moved to LA I was able to acclimate to the traffic much better.

Downtown has a lot of really great sites to see. We had to do a photo scavenger hunt downtown as part of one of my graduate classes and we spent the whole day there and it is a really neat place...there's a lot more to it than I would have given it credit for.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_garsi View Post
I definitely agree with the others...Los Angeles is VERY different than both the OC and IE. Do not try to lump them together...they may be adjacent to one another but that doesn't mean they are alike.
OK I get it already. Please understand that to me, so far just a 4 time tourist, they seem similar, kind of like how Denver and Colo. Spgs. are similar to someone from California.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
OK I get it already. Please understand that to me, so far just a 4 time tourist, they seem similar, kind of like how Denver and Colo. Spgs. are similar to someone from California.
Well, at least Denver and CS have open space between them, which makes them seem separate. The IE, OC, and LA all run together to create one hugantic metro area. You can literally drive for hours and never leave built up area. If you're driving from LA to OC on the 5, you would never notice you had entered OC unless you notice the little county line sign on the side of the freeway. When people try to make them out to be different areas, it's just opinion. You're basically talking about different parts of one metro area, not separate urban areas.

Things you never knew? They can get tornadoes in L.A. They happen every few years in the winter, usually an F0 tornado (glorified dust devil) and they tend to drop into a trailer park (why is that?) or rip a roof off a grocery store. And every time it happens, every news station runs out and finds some trembling fool from the trailer park that got hit who screams on camera, "This is L.A.! We don't get tornadoes here!".

Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM

77 posts, read 303,522 times
Many people have lived in Los Angeles all of their lives and never knew much of the city they lived in.

If you really get to know and understand the culture of Los Angeles, only then will you realize how amazing it is.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
When you're talking about the whole shebang, I call it by its technical name, as defined by the US Census Bureau: The Greater Los Angeles Combined Statistical Area.. This includes all of Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties. In most US cities, the term "metropolitan area" refers to the whole thing-- cities and suburbs and satelite "edge" towns and cities. Greater LA is so freaking humungous calling it a metropolitan area doesn't even do it justice, which is why they invented the term "CSA."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles