U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 PM

278 posts, read 1,086,220 times

Advertisements

So I read on here about how miserable LA is and how it's crime infested. How many of you have actually been robbed, shot at, or had your car stolen? I myself don't see immigrants as a problem so that's not a negative for me. State where you live in LA and if you've had problems there. I know of course that South Central LA will definitely have crime problems but let's get real how bad is the West side. I mean life isn't a movie people. This isn't Boyz n the Hood here. It's real life. You have to remember in a huge city crime will be a problem. No place is perfect and it seems that some people actually don't realize this. In an area with about 10 million people some stuff is going to happen. I think everyone knows that but come on!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:16 PM

938 posts, read 3,565,662 times
Stop believing that bull****.

We are not a crime infested city, crime is contained to all but a few areas-and even there, you'll be fine if you exercise common sense!

Edit: You're moving to West Hollywood, you have nothing to worry about-except a dude trying to hit on you

Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM

278 posts, read 1,086,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Stop believing that bull****.

We are not a crime infested city, crime is contained to all but a few areas-and even there, you'll be fine if you exercise common sense!

Edit: You're moving to West Hollywood, you have nothing to worry about-except a dude trying to hit on you
Thank you!! Someone who speaks the truth. Oh and about the last comment. That's okay with me

Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,780,985 times
I used to live in L.A and continue to visit my friends that live there,and I was never a victim of a crime and neither were my friends.

The Reality is L.A is a rather Safe City for it's size,and the High Crime Rates are usually confined in certain areas,but of course those who hate L.A will over-exaggerate to make it sound like all of L.A is Ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
So I read on here about how miserable LA is and how it's crime infested. How many of you have actually been robbed, shot at, or had your car stolen? I myself don't see immigrants as a problem so that's not a negative for me. State where you live in LA and if you've had problems there. I know of course that South Central LA will definitely have crime problems but let's get real how bad is the West side. I mean life isn't a movie people. This isn't Boyz n the Hood here. It's real life. You have to remember in a huge city crime will be a problem. No place is perfect and it seems that some people actually don't realize this. In an area with about 10 million people some stuff is going to happen. I think everyone knows that but come on!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

673 posts, read 1,787,042 times
Default Not so bad

I live in Jefferson Park, a black/latino neighborhood which is the north bit of South LA. In 5 years, someone stole my bike that I left outside unlocked, and my fence was tagged once. Statistically I've found it much safer than South-East London, where I lived for three years. There my house was robbed twice, and I was pickpocketed once.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM

2,072 posts, read 10,860,092 times
Crime can happen everywhere. Just take precausions.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 PM

396 posts, read 1,550,345 times
i live in west toluca lake/north hollywood, right on the boarder of toluca lake, so it's pretty safe.

when i came home at 2:00 am yesterday, saw a guy walking his do dog my street, so im pretty sure there is no crime here.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,058,763 times
dont beleive the hype!
most areas are not all that bad.

certain pockets of LA, like glasell and athens and pacoima see a lot of shootings and such, but most people posting here dont live there and will rarely ever go there.

crime does stay contained, but sometimes it becomes mobile. its a big city and has big city crime. but it is not really a war zone as some would have you beleive.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,396,479 times
In my 4 years in LA, i've had my beach cruiser stolen and that is it. I had much more stolen from me and witnessed many more crimes in my years at CSUF in Orange County!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,912,136 times
I don't live within LA's city limits, but I live in the LA Metro area and have been for about 35 years. The worst crime I have ever been subjected to is getting my bike stolen. I've never witnessed a murder much less seen a crime scene where there was a murder. I have never been robbed or had my car burglarized or stolen. I don't know anyone who has been in these situations.

Keep in mind that you stand a better chance of getting run over by a car, getting in a car accident, or getting a flat tire in one of the car capitals of the world...

Now that I think of it, I did get my left shoe stolen from my porch one time but that was petty.

Everything is fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles