U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,953,931 times

Advertisements

Fourth of July around here starts about now. The damned neighbors are setting off fireworks and this lasts until they run out of them a few weeks after the 4th.

My dog is freaking out going bananas trying to climb in my lap, climb on top of my head. This goes on most nights from dark until late at night, and same thing in the weeks leading up to New Years Eve. In bed he tries to climb up on my pillow behind my head. He doesn't stop until the fireworks stop, usually midnight or 1 a.m., later than I really wanted to go to sleep, particularly on a week night.

I wish I could do what I really want to do. Don't ask. But what the heck am I going to do? Give my dog "doggie downers" every night for a month? Twice a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 5,837,853 times
Call the cops. Assuming they're illegal in your neck of the woods. I wouldn't hesitate a minute. My dogs go nuts with fireworks going off.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 PM

25,077 posts, read 48,088,104 times
It used to be one night a year and now it goes on for weeks...

Fireworks were legal and now they are banned in my city and... we have MORE!

The only thing that would work is medicating in extreme cases... your vet can provide a tranquilizer

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

236 posts, read 1,010,759 times
"Safe and Sane" fireworks are legal in our city, but only when set off on the 4th of July. There are many, however, who disregard every part of this statement.

Our neighbor around the corner is like a man trapped in a 14-year-old's body when it comes to fireworks. He's somewhat obsessed. I think he stocks up all year - legal and illegal ones, and just lives for this time of year when it's finally "acceptable" to set them all off. I've talked with him about how annoying it is to the neighbors, but it's hard to reason with someone who has no common sense.

I sympathize with you. We don't have a dog, but the fireworks still annoy me. Fourth of July on our street sounds like a war zone and the street is so thick with smoke you can't even see across despite the constant flashes of light. Are any of these people really thinking about the Declaration of Independence as they light these things?? Ha ha ha!

I say call the cops too, especially if they're the loud M-80s and cherry bombs.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 AM

46 posts, read 113,349 times
Default Our Neighbor Used to Shoot Them Off Twice a Year

for weeks, too. I think he got them from Mexico.

I haven't heard any yet, but now they've taken to burning their trash in their yard because they have so much, it's more than the trashman will take.

I think the young man is a pyro. He has too many fire related hobbies. But he's lived here since he was a child, and we don't have an arson problem, so maybe not!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM

5,113 posts, read 16,767,172 times
i enjoy 4th of july. i have family in lakewood and norwalk and both allow the standard fireworks. have a good time with my family and if i feel like simulating war ill goto norwalk and watch all the gnarly illegal fireworks flying left and right and bits and pieces of it landing all over my family's house

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

26,346 posts, read 79,395,250 times
The fourth of July is a very popular evening in hospital emergency rooms.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM

5,409 posts, read 10,897,416 times
i love the run up to the 4th!!! the dogs usually bark, but i htink they have become accustomed to loud noises, be they sirens, cars, gun shots or fireworks.

i cant wait. it becomes a battle of who has the best array of pyrotechnics. truly a site to see. its sometimes better than the park/HS sponsored shows (well not in terms of safety of course, but you get me)

the festivities started 2 weeks ago for me, and i dont mind them one bit.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM

81 posts, read 250,082 times
Maybe you should keep your dog inside? I'm sure he'll get used to it, I mean, dogs can be trained.

Your neighbors have been already celebrating the 4th this early? I'm impressed. It's only until the 3rd before i hear firecrackers going off near me. And as for making them illegal, if you're dumb enough to blow off your hand, you may have had it coming...

Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,534,017 times
unless i read it wrong, the dog is inside.

im not sure if you have ever heard fireworks, but being inside doesnt silence the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles