Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times

Advertisements

I do envy your Tennessee storms though. Today is mostly overcast although the temperature is pleasant. Aesthetics aside it's an almost perfect day in L.A. Not too hot, not too cold, slight breeze, not windy.

I bet half the US would trade weather with us today.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Edited to keep on topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
LA and Southern California have the best climate in the nation. I'm about sure at this point that any out of state move will involve sacrificing LA's weather for something that is not as good. I hope the other positives will make up for it.

The only bad thing about LA's climate is that it's boring (some people like boring, others don't), and our low rainfall leads to water scarcity.

Best climate in the nation? No way! I think Portland OR or Seattle WA has the best climate, just my opinion. You are right about the low rainfall leading to water scarcity. And there's just too much dust in the air in LA. I don't need to remind you that earlier in the week we had record heat waves in LA two months before it SHOULD have come. If we were in June now, then it would make sense to have 99 degree weather. It is not good for the weather to keep on changing from hot to cold to hot to cold. THIS is what makes people get colds.

I just don't think LA has the best climate because of what I said above, plus the fact that there's always the dust issue. I understand why some people feel that S. California climate is the best, but trust me, if you live in it for a long time, you will realize just how it is FAR from ideal. Just my opinion of course. I think Seattle is MUCH better than LA in terms of climate, not even a contest!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
LA and Southern California have the best climate in the nation. I'm about sure at this point that any out of state move will involve sacrificing LA's weather for something that is not as good. I hope the other positives will make up for it.

The only bad thing about LA's climate is that it's boring (some people like boring, others don't), and our low rainfall leads to water scarcity.

Best climate in the nation? No way! I think Portland OR or Seattle WA has the best climate, just my opinion. You are right about the low rainfall leading to water scarcity. And there's just too much dust in the air in LA. I don't need to remind you that earlier in the week we had record heat waves in LA two months before it SHOULD have come. If we were in June now, then it would make sense to have 99 degree weather. It is not good for the weather to keep on changing from hot to cold to hot to cold. THIS is what makes people get colds.

I just don't think LA has the best climate because of what I said above, plus the fact that there's always the dust issue. I understand why some people feel that S. California climate is the best, but trust me, if you live in it for a long time, you will realize just how it is FAR from ideal. Just my opinion of course. I think Seattle is MUCH better than LA in terms of climate, not even a contest!
I believe a lot of people in Seattle would disagree with you days on end with cloudy damp weather & really chilly temps. I couldn't handle that. Even some people in San Francisco get tired of the overcast & cool temps during summer. There really isn't anything about the climate in SoCal to not like other than that it hardly ever changes much. But today is overcast & quite cool compared to the heat we had earlier in the week; that's a nice change!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,140 times
Sorry but i'll take LA's BORING weather over what I tolerate every year in Delaware. For instance last week it 75 and sunny the next day 35 and rainny.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,668 times
The weather here is sort of boring since it's nearly always sunny and warm. But, if I want variety in my weather I'll just go on vacation for a few weeks and then be thankful to return to predictable weather.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
I lost my umbrella for 2-3 years and wished I had it only maybe twice. I found it last year but I haven't needed it yet.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
If we read back over the months of this topic we are reminded that by November many people were getting really tired of the heat. That seems to be the time when most want a change from our very long summers & the start of the rain season. Aside from the very uncomfortable heatwave we just experienced, this time of the year is generally quite comfortable & the May Gray\ June Gloom of morning overcast is a distinct characteristic of our climate unlike most areas of the nation. Minus the West Coast, I don't think any other area of the U.S. has "morning low clouds clearing in the afternoon" regime for 2 months straight.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
Of COURSE it is boring to have the same old sunny weather almost all year. I know we all have our preferences, but I think that LA is like a barren desert not including the beach areas.

When there is not enough rain as is the case with LA as the person who started this topic said, it creates what is known as a drought and WE are forced to save water like there's no tomorrow. AND the dryness creates fire dangers and that's why we always have these forest fires plus earthquakes which no one can predict will occur.

Rain is better for the air and the environment. I'd rather have that than this stupid, brown dusty smog which pollutes the air and is HARMFUL to breathe in. I can't even go outside without coughing sometimes because of the filthy air in LA. The person who started this thread has a valid and VERY logical point. In that sense, I can say that LA's climate does suck. It is better than Buffalo NY or Boston, but that does not mean its as good as some of you say it is. When I try to present facts to back up my point, some of you get defensive and try to defend the climate of LA which sometimes is junk. Notice I said sometimes because it does have its good moments.

I think a high of 58 and a low of 40 and rain beats a high of 95 and a low of 66 any day of the week.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
How do people in other regions with "real weather" handle it when sudden rain/snow/sleet intrudes on street fairs, cultural festivals, outdoor concerts, picnics, parades, flea and farmers markets, etc?
There are usually "rain days" built into the plans. For example, if a street festival is planned for a certain Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday, then they'll announce a "rain date" of Monday. Or else rain just ends up canceling it altogether, especially if it's a one-day event. Or else people huddle in the rain. [I've had about enough rain to last me a while - I'll take LA's fabulous "boring" weather.]

Quote:
I like spectacular thunder and lightning shows but since they are not common here, I've never had a lightning strike damage electrical appliances (although I've experienced lightning related power outages). I know that unplugging of computers, stereo equipment, etc. is recommended during lightning, even with surge protection. Is this an issue where lightning storms are common?
I have lived in thunderstorm zones all my life until I came to LA. I've never, EVER heard of anyone's equipment being damaged by lightning. Everybody knows that unplugging is recommended, but no one does it, since nothing bad ever happens. [disclaimer: "everybody", "always", "never", etc., surely have exceptions. I just haven't personally met, or heard of, them.]

Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Of COURSE it is boring to have the same old sunny weather almost all year. I know we all have our preferences, but I think that LA is like a barren desert not including the beach areas.
No, the barren deserts are like barren deserts, not LA! It is semi-arid, just like San Diego.

Quote:
When there is not enough rain as is the case with LA as the person who started this topic said, it creates what is known as a drought and WE are forced to save water like there's no tomorrow. AND the dryness creates fire dangers and that's why we always have these forest fires plus earthquakes which no one can predict will occur.
One reason we are forced to save water is because of all the people who left their own states to live in LA! Other states also have fire danger... Colorado and Wyoming to name just two. As for earthquakes, the do occur in other cities of California and other states.

Quote:
Rain is better for the air and the environment. I'd rather have that than this stupid, brown dusty smog which pollutes the air and is HARMFUL to breathe in.
In that situation, LA is much better off than the entire southeastern part of California (the desert areas). They are much more dusty, and windy, than LA.

Quote:
I think a high of 58 and a low of 40 and rain beats a high of 95 and a low of 66 any day of the week.
And I think a high of 95 and a low of 66 beats a high of 58 and a low of 40 any day of the week. It's nice to go for a walk or bike ride at sunset, with the temperature still at about 80-85 degrees, without needing to bundle up in jackets just to keep warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles