Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The lowest recorded temperature was 24°F in 1944.
Incidentally, since the 1970s, I've read that the record minimum temp for LA is 28 degrees. Two times, in Jan. in 1949 and in Feb. in 1883.

Here is one source: Daily Temperature High-Low Records

A book from 1965, "California's Many Climates" also lists the record minimum at 28 degrees.

The source you listed, weather.com, also has an error regarding the record minimum at Death Valley, California. It is listed at that site at 0 degrees in 1988. It has not gone down to anywhere near 0 degrees!
The actual record minimum is 15 degrees, in the year 1913; oddly, that was the same year with the record maximum, 134 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 PM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post

Temperature fluctuation: Now this is a big one. I remember last November we had a few days in the 90s! I mean this is kind of silly. Where have you seen that has these kinds of hot temperatures? That is just not normal. And yes, Colorado is dry but at least it has what is called a proper winter season. In November it has to be cold. I believe everything has to have its place. Summer should be warm/hot, winter has to be cold, fall has to be fall and spring has to have temperatures near 65-70 degrees, not 99!

Why does November have to be cold. Los Angeles is far south enough to have those 90 degree days. Plus Phoenix, Houston, Corpus Christi, Miami, all get 90 degree weather in November too.

Its totally normal, because all those cities are located in the south.

Last edited by stilldirrty; 04-25-2009 at 09:51 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Incidentally, since the 1970s, I've read that the record minimum temp for LA is 28 degrees. Two times, in Jan. in 1949 and in Feb. in 1883.

Here is one source: Daily Temperature High-Low Records

A book from 1965, "California's Many Climates" also lists the record minimum at 28 degrees.

The source you listed, weather.com, also has an error regarding the record minimum at Death Valley, California. It is listed at that site at 0 degrees in 1988. It has not gone down to anywhere near 0 degrees!
The actual record minimum is 15 degrees, in the year 1913; oddly, that was the same year with the record maximum, 134 degrees.
Thanks for the feedback, Fleet. There are so many weather stations\ data for Los Angeles since it is so spread out w/ many micro-climates. The Weather Channel has a nice site but mistakes are inevitable.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
I have to admit the last few days here in LA have been pretty nice weatherwise, but I have never been a hot weather lover. Be careful what you people all wish for. We will be warming up sooner than you think. Hot weather sucks. I'd rather have 55 degrees and rain any day over 95 and hot

My biggest complaint about LA's climate is the lack of rain and not enough humidity. But otherwise, its not too bad. I used to like sunny weather a lot when I was younger but not anymore

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I have to admit the last few days here in LA have been pretty nice weatherwise, but I have never been a hot weather lover. Be careful what you people all wish for. We will be warming up sooner than you think. Hot weather sucks. I'd rather have 55 degrees and rain any day over 95 and hot
Being a bicyclist, I'll take the 95. It's irritating for me to bundle up when going for a ride. So much more enjoyable when the weather is warm. Just jump on the bike and ride!

Quote:
My biggest complaint about LA's climate is the lack of rain and not enough humidity. But otherwise, its not too bad. I used to like sunny weather a lot when I was younger but not anymore
Yeah, I wouldn't mind an average of about 25" per year instead of the current 15-16". But I am glad that the summers are not humid. Hot weather and 80-90% humidity I would not like!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 AM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
As a minor in meteorology/climate I had to learn a lot about the weather.

Pasadena gets about 20 inches of rain per year. Because of its location near the mountains.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post

Pasadena gets about 20 inches of rain per year. Because of its location near the mountains.
Right on did you know that there is an active chapter of the American Meteorological Society?

The additional rain caused by orographic lift helps all south-facing mts\ foothills from Malibu to Montebello.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
In my middle of the San Fernando Valley home I have only one wall-type air conditioner, in my living room. In fact it got hot enough today that it's the first time I've used it this season, and it's running right now.

In evenings I close up my entire house except my bedroom window and the spare bedroom window. I put a big box fan in the spare bedroom window pointed outwards and run it all night. That draws the cool outside air into my bedroom without my having to hear the fan going. It works fine except for perhaps 5-6 evenings a year, and on those evenings I'll admit I'm pretty uncomfortable.

I don't want to get whole house air conditioning because it's an expensive job to install it, and I'm not convinced that the investment will be returned when I sell my house. And anyway I'm hoping I'll be in Los Angeles only 1-2 more years. As soon as I figure out where to go I'm going to do the necessary things to get it sold.

Honestly I do envy people who live near enough to the beach to get the ocean influence.
I remembered reading this when I was at Costco today. There's a solar powered roof-installed central fan you can purchase for about $360, and I think where you are you'd get a $200 rebate to use against your utility bill. It's only installation that's the questionable cost factor, but if you can figure it out for yourself it may be an under-,say, $600 proposition? I'd say you can at least purchase it, get the rebate for a final outlay of about $175, and offer it uninstalled to the purchaser as an incentive.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I've already got a fan, but thanks for trying. Now if you could come up with central air for $175...

I hope I'll be gone soon, maybe even by the end of the year. If I can sell my house... If I can figure out where to go...

Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post

True. Pasadena is at a higher elevation than LA (864 feet VS 310) and enjoys more annual precipitation.
In my 1965 book, it shows an annual average of 19.53" compare to 15.02" for LA.

The city of Tujunga is in the foothills and at an elevation of 1,800 feet, receives 22.45"/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles