Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
With all due respect it was in this thread that you said the weather in L.A. is so boring and that it's one reason why you were wanting to leave. So which is it?
Los Angeles's weather is boringly almost perfect. Almost every day is perfect weather. It gets so that days are almost Xerox copies of the previous days. Shirt sleeves, jeans and running shoes in the summer, shirt sleeves, jeans and running shoes in the winter. I don't own an umbrella let alone galoshes or a trench coat. I feel put out the few days cold enough to require a jacket. We have two seasons, summer and winter, except that winter is just a cooler version of summer. I take pictures when it rains, to remind myself what rain looks like. I can go almost anywhere, any season, any time of the day or night with little concern for what the weather is. LA weather is boringly almost perfect.

I'd like a little more variety. I enjoy bad weather as long as there isn't too much of it. I love thunderstorms. We get thunderstorms only rarely in LA.

I'm not inconsistent with what I've posted in other threads. I want to leave LA because of the congestion, traffic, crime and all the big city ills. The weather is the best part of LA even if it's boring. LA's weather has absolutely nothing to do with why I want to relocate when I retire.

I hope that covers the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound
Dawn, maybe you should consider switching to decaf coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
No, I should consider moving out of the South.....the comments about "those leftists Californians" is about to drive me batty!
I think you're a little bit late on that one. You let things get under your skin a little bit too much. There's no need to right every wrong, or call out every left. You go nuclear on somebody people just think you're the one who is nuts. Better to save the nukes for when you really need them.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
I love LA's weather!
Me too!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
June was known for "June gloom", which was a layer of fog that typically burned off in the afternoon.

[snip] ...

You guys who live in SoCal are very lucky, IMO.
You haven't really seen June gloom in all it's glory. The last few years haven't been extreme on that. Some years we have May gray followed by June gloom and we go for almost two months but nothing but low overcast and okay to muggy days.

I want to remind everybody about the so-called Chinese curse (apocryphal story probably incorrect), "May you lead an interesting life." Interesting things include the tumult of war, civil uprisings, plagues, droughts and all manner of bad fortune. To consider our boring but pleasant weather a curse flies in the face of what bad weather really is in the other parts of the country or the other parts of the world.

Boring is sometimes good. We are lucky. We could be having hurricanes.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I am one of the few people who loves the marine layer that blankets much of the San Fernando Valley and the L.A. basin in May and June. Why? Because when that goes away is when the temperatures soar into the 90s out here! Give me May Gray and June Gloom into August, please.

Having said that, I don't think I could be happy in the Pacific northwest. Too much gloom, dark, and dampness would not be good for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You haven't really seen June gloom in all it's glory. The last few years haven't been extreme on that. Some years we have May gray followed by June gloom and we go for almost two months but nothing but low overcast and okay to muggy days.
LOL... back in Kentucky there were 11 months a year of "June gloom". Plenty of depressed folks there.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Well, I haven't lived there since 2001. I don't remember any extreme stretches of June Gloom. I do know that if there is bad weather to be had in SoCal, it usually is whenever I schedule a vacation there. A few years ago, I went out in October for my friend's wedding -- the entire five days I was there, including the day I left, was gray, rainy and miserable. Very atypical, but I was so annoyed!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Avalon, I remember telling a new L.A. resident once that it never rains until after January 1st. That year it poured in October! Now I don't say anything.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I am one of the few people who loves the marine layer that blankets much of the San Fernando Valley and the L.A. basin in May and June. Why? Because when that goes away is when the temperatures soar into the 90s out here! Give me May Gray and June Gloom into August, please.
It's funny, evidently my attitude varies. I recall working in Palm Springs in '94, spending the entire week there in sunshine and beautiful weather (winter) then coming back to the Valley on weekends and suffering the oppressive blanket cloud layer, hating it, wishing I could get back to PS.

This year I actually welcome June gloom. Bring it on. I don't know why I like it this year, but I hope the sun disappears until July.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM

35 posts, read 145,136 times
No place including L.A. is perfect.

Here in SoFla the summer is humid, rainy and filled with the threat of a coming killer 'Cane.

OTH, our winters are what you'd associate as L.A. weather. Low humidity, 70's, dry. During actual L.A. winters too often it's 56.

A few questions. How many days a year do you think it's warm enough in L.A. that you could hop in the pool and not be cold when you get out? Also, how many nights a year does it feel balmy? And lastly how many nights is it cold enough that you wish for a parka?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles