Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times

Advertisements

We're trying to decide between two houses. One is in Montecito Heights (up near the top, overlooking the canyon) and the other is in Eagle Rock.

How do the two compare? Is one neighborhood particularly more "up-and-coming" than the other?

We are a young-ish "artsy" couple w/ a 5 month old baby.

Thoughts?

I know no one can make the decision for us, but I'm just curious neighborhood-wise, which is the better option. i.e. getting around, crime, schools, gentrification, vibe, and re-sale value. We LOVE Eagle Rock a lot. But, we love the views of the canyon as well. We're feeling pretty torn about the whole thing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Montecito Hts is strictly residential in rather steep hillsides with quite a bit of open land. It is near the Pasadena Freeway & Gold Line and only 5 miles from downtown. But there is no shopping within walking distance and the stores on Figueroa aren't that great anyway.

Eagle Rock is basically flat land except above Colorado Blvd. It has a nice business district with fun restaurants and a sort of funky feel. Houses have fairly small yards but the streets are lined with trees. It is closer to Pasadena than downtown LA.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 39,423 times
If you want the kind of sidewalk socializing you saw growing up on "Friends," then Eagle Rock is for you. Montecito Heights is a secluded retreat for actual artists/intellectuals who want to be left alone. Future school options are probably better in Eagle Rock. There are families living in Montecito Heights, but it is more of a singles/couples area.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
eagle rock is more pedestrian and family friendly. its also more accessible. as for monetcito being a retreat for artists and intellectuals... isnt that mount washington? as i remeber, montecito was pretty run down and not very diverse or polished.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM

90 posts, read 285,055 times
Another vote for Eagle Rock. You won't enjoy being stuck in the hills with your baby, view or no view. Trader Joe's, Swork Coffee, lots of good family stuff there.

Why not rent for a year in ER and see if you like it? I doubt prices will go up much in a year, and you won't get stuck somewhere you don't like.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Thanks for the opinions everyone!

Due to various circumstances, renting isn't an option. Why won't we enjoy being up in the hills with our baby? Do you mean because there's less to do in Montecito Heights?

One of the things we love about the Montecito Heights house is the privacy. Privacy is very important to us. It's such a hard decision. We love the light, the view, and the privacy of the Montecito Heights house. But we love the size of the other house (it's much bigger) as well as the Eagle Rock neighborhood. The Eagle Rock house is next door to apartments, too, which we don't like. We don't like the outside of the Eagle Rock house all that much. The backyard is crap (and needs to be fenced in) & it's on a somewhat busy street.

We were thinking, just for re-sale value, that the Montecito Heights house would be the better deal because of the privacy & the view. You can ALWAY add onto a house, but you can't do anything about a busy street.

I know Eagle Rock is considered very "up-and-coming." Is Montecito Heights considered that at all? I know the lower section is a bit sketchier...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 12,406 times
Eagle Rock is a fantastic area... that said, my fiance and I bought a place in Highland Park, near the Garvanza and Hermon neighborhoods which often get clumped in along with Montecito Heights. So I guess it depends which part of MH you're talking about. If you're closer to Fig it's worth considering. Lots of younger couple and families have been moving into the area. In the last couple years Figueroa has seen some new restaurants and art galleries open. I wouldn't call Eagle Rock up and coming any more - it has already arrived. Highland Park and Montecito heights has room to grow and could provide more value. Crime wise... definitely less crime in Eagle Rock, but having just moved from Echo Park I can say we have seen less insanity since we moved to this area. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,396 times
Montecito Heights. There is no better area if you don't mind being up a hill with a lot of nature. Walk the local amazing view trails with your baby. Arty IS the hills.

Go here and then move here: montyheights.blogspot.com

You can find me at that site if you want more questions answered. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
If the OP want seclusion than Montecito Hts is obviously a better pick. It is high up into the hills above the Arroyo Seco and backs up against Debs regional park which is a large natural setting open land. Plus the parks along the Arroyo are nice as well. If privacy is important the OP might want to also consider Mt Washington which is right across the Pasadena Freeway from Montecito Hts. Mt Washington is probably as seclused if not more than Montecito Hts. You literally get the feeling you are out in the country instead of being within a few miles of downtown Los Angeles. Both Montecito Hts and Mt Washington do have coyotes however.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 12,359 times
If view/privacy is a major consideration, see Montecito Heights, Hermon or Garvanza hills. Breezy, close to nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles